Canada border 2021

Discussion in 'Out of State Fishing' started by Zkovach1175, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Zkovach1175

Zkovach1175 Premium Member

Anyone think it’ll be open by May? We would like to go back to Canada but worried we won’t be able to cross. Anyone have any news on this?

2. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

They're kicking the can. Hard to say

3. Zorba

Zorba

Up here in the Sault, sure seems like the boarder is open. For Canadians. See multiple Ontario plates on a daily basis. For us, It’s closed. They have to start talking about opening the boarder. When that happens, They will start lifting restrictions. My guess is it will open for people who have a reason to cross first (such as extended family and property owners) before it’s for play. Also Covid numbers have to start coming down. With flu season starting, I don’t see that happening anytime soon.

Zkovach1175 likes this.
  4. kzoofisher

kzoofisher

No, it won't. Be lucky to see it open for recreation before fall if that soon. No viable vaccine in sight, no open border until 3 months after vaccine starts to distribute, no chance it's opening.

The good news you may have heard is just people blowing smoke to try to keep the economy from collapsing. Sorry.

5. stickman1978

stickman1978

Heard that if Canadians have a thanksgiving with more than 10 people. $10,000 fine for the host. I bet she don't open. Numbers going in wrong direction for US.

6. Slimshady

Slimshady

I just wish they would clarify it and create an exemption for those "unofficial" crossings where no call-in is required. If you are not touching land or anchoring, then there is no reason to enforce the rule. There is no danger of passing the virus in those situations.

gatorman841 and sureshot006 like this.
  7. kzoofisher

kzoofisher

If the MNR wants to enforce limits they have to make close contact. How many guys would just keep pulling fish if they thought the fish cops were never going to check? An embarrassingly high number imo. Once again, the slobs ruin it for the rest of us.

Chessieman likes this.
  8. gatorman841

gatorman841 Premium Member

:yeahthat:

9. Slimshady

Slimshady

I doubt that's the reason. I believe the only reason they ever enforced it on the water was because Windsor closed their ramps for a couple months, so the Canadians knew that every boat they saw fishing was from the US, so they called to complain that we were out there fishing their waters and they couldn't get out. I am pretty sure that's the reason, because when a buddy of mine was "warned", that's what they told him. Maybe now that they have been able to fish for a while and most of the US boats have gone, they won't bother to enforce it, who knows....

10. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

My guess is it's only closed to recreational boating because it is easier to use a cleaver vs scalpel.

11. piketroller

piketroller

It will be closed through at least Nov 3 because of Turdeau’s pissing match against the U.S. even through he’s the one pissing into the wind. It’s winning him brownie points with the EU folks because banning travel from the U.S. was supposed to solve all their problems. Canada is going through a second wave right now just like the EU counties, and as of now Canada currently has higher case than they did back it the spring, and things are still ramping up.

sureshot006 likes this.
  12. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

Trudeau made an announcement yesterday that the border will remain closed as long as Covid cases in the US "remain elevated". FM

13. Zkovach1175

Zkovach1175 Premium Member

urgh.... I wonder how the fish camps are doing up there.

14. kzoofisher

kzoofisher

Poorly I’m sure, like a lot of businesses state side. Would have been nice if somebody, anybody, in Washington had spent the last seven months coming up with a long term plan to deal with this. But nobody did. Because no one who is hurting means anything to any of them.