Can you offer any info on this gun?

Discussion in 'Firearm Identification/Value' started by harpo1, Jun 10, 2012.

1. harpo1

harpo1

A very close friend of mine recently passed away and I was fortunate enough to be given a couple of his guns for my own. One of them came with all the documentation, but I'd like to gather some info on this gun. I am not a gun expert at all but I was told that it was a Winchester Model 70 (pre 64). The only ID I can find on the gun is the name "O'Hellioth & Co .270" scribed on the barrel and also what may be a serial number of 605430. Here are a few pics...

Overall, the gun is in very nice shape. The stock is in nice shape and the blueing has the "normal" fine scratches but nothing deep. The action is smooth and tight. I am not interested in selling the gun but would love to find out an estimated value for my records.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tallbear

tallbear

I believe what you have is a custom barreled model 70 by O.H. Elliott &Co.

3. harpo1

harpo1

Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can find anything on that O.H. Elliott & Co.

4. malainse

malainse Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Found the below information on another website. True or not I do not know ? Just trying to help you out. He was from South Haven,Mi

A picture of barrel that I found had the "O.H Elliott" stamped on the barrel. This one is done with some type of engraver ? If it is a "Elliott" barrel it could be an early one ?

Either way it is a nice rifle and great gift to cherish forever.

----------
    In the 1930s, gunsmith and entrepreneur O.H.Elliot sought to satisfy the demand for double rifles in the United States by importing custom made rifles which he chambered for his own series of Express cartridges. Made from 405 Winchester brass, the series consisted of the .277, .303, and 357 Calibers.

World War II put a halt to his venture and it was never resurrected as far as I know. His wildcat cartridges are seldom encountered today and are highly sought after by collectors.

5. harpo1

harpo1

Thanks malainse! I was probably on the same website you were on as I also found a picture of another O.H barrel that was stamped rather than engraved as mine is. The interesting part is that the person that gave me this gun once worked at Saginaw Steering Gear and some of the information I found was that OH Elliot also worked a short time there in his early gun building days. Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  6. inland44

inland44

Thats a great piece of firearm history, and Michigan history to boot. Just keep in mind as previous posters researched this gunsmith developed his own wildcats. The .270 cal may not mean .270Win(factory ammo) I would have a good smith look at it and maybe do a chamber cast before shooting it.

cheers

7. harpo1

harpo1

Good point inland44 about having the gun checked out. I know the owner last took the rifle to Quebec on a caribou hunt and there was indeed a couple boxes of factory Winchester .270 caliber ammo in the safe with it. However, looks like 6-8 shells in one of the boxes may have been reloads as they were slightly a larger bullet (same casing) loaded up.... like maybe a 130 grain compared to a 165 grain.

8. Gil Martin

Gil Martin

I cannot tell if it is a commercial or military action. If there is a cutout in the left receiver wall then it is a military action. Nicely done. All the best...
    Gil

9. 9mm Hi-Power

9mm Hi-Power Premium Member

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade but that was done with some sort of "electric pencil", it is not engraving.

Hoppe's no.10

10. Petronius

Petronius Staff Member Premium Member Mods

It does look like a Mauser bolt. We need a picture that focuses on the left side of the receiver.

11. harpo1

harpo1

Don't worry 9mm... no parade going on here! I also believe it was done with an electric engraver's. Sure would be nice to find out that someone from the O.H. Elliot company did it though. I believe this may not have been the original barrel that came with the gun. As mentioned, I am far from a gun collector and know very little about gun history. I'm just honored to have been given this piece from a very dear friend of mine before his passing.

I'll snap a few closer pic's of the action later today and post them.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  12. harpo1

harpo1

Here are a few pics of the action...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Petronius

Petronius Staff Member Premium Member Mods

It is definitely a Mauser action, not a Winchester.

14. harpo1

harpo1

Thanks for the info! I'd really like to hunt with this rifle in the fall so my next move is to find a reputable gunsmith to confirm the chamber size and figure out what the various sizes of ammo are that I received with the rifle.

15. Beaglernr

Beaglernr

I am not a rifle expert by any means but the bolt configuration sure looks like my old springfield. Wondering if both the Mauser and springfield shared a very similar look.