"Can We Fight Zombie Deer?"

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Ranger Ray, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Dish7

Dish7

Awesome, not sure how much more you can do then killing seven deer a year.

How do I know, I don't. Though the chart that HMW posted pretty strongly suggests that. The "how do you know" cwd game has been played to death on MS from all angles. We (especially us armchair biologists) don't know.
    How do I define an area? You said you hunt Branch County but close to Hilldale. Zero positives in Branch, Hillsdale, Calhoun counties. If you want to play the CWD version of the six degrees of Kevin Bacon to get to the two Jackson positives, we can pretty much do the whole state, lol.
    Not trying to dog you. Like I said, if you're killing seven deer a year, you are doing your part and then some. JMO.

jr28schalm and sniper like this.
  2. Huntnut

Huntnut

Tracker83, I know you very rarely hear this in an internet discussion forum, but you have a very valid point. Could you please provide a link to this case?

Deer hunting is a multi-billion dollar industry. The state wildlife agencies in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Michigan, etc, are following the advice of the leading scientific authorities and drastically reducing deer herd densities to combat CWD.

Money rules this world. Deer hunting is a cash cow.

Why would all of these state agencies surrender billions in future revenue by dramatically reducing their deer herds if it wasn't the best course of action? That's what I can't get past.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    plugger likes this.

3. Huntnut

Huntnut

Dish7, I know you're not dogging on me. Speak your mind! I don't know anything for certain. One thing is certain, the older I get, the less I know.

Why do you believe all these state agencies are voluntarily giving up billions in revenue to drastically lower deer herds?

And still no one has answered my question from earlier...Do you believe if Dane County, Wisconsin did not drastically lower their deer herd when CWD was first discovered, would the prevalence rate be lower, higher, or the same as it is today?

motdean likes this.
  4. Dish7

Dish7

How are they giving up billions in revenue?

5. Huntnut

Huntnut

Loss of hunting license revenue due to hunter drop out, loss of state sales tax on bait sales and hunting merchandise, etc. Even the loss of taxes on fuel sales due to hunters not traveling to go hunt....multiplied across the country...the dollar amount has to be enormous. Why would the states risk the cash cow?

""The vast majority of our resources come from license dollars," Mason said, "and in a state as deer-centric as Michigan, most of that is deer related. Virtually everything we do for wildlife, game or non-game; for threatened or endangered species; for sensitive habitats — all of that is balanced on our license structure."

They must really think lowering the deer density in this state, and sharply decreasing the herd in CWD zones is the best course of action regardless of how much money the state loses.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    Lightfoot likes this.
  6. sniper

sniper

It’s truly unbelievable isn’t it??

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Dish7 and jr28schalm like this.
  7. sniper

sniper

This!

8. G20man

G20man Banned

I think someone is full of it.

Dish7 and sniper like this.
  9. sniper

sniper

Yep someone is jiggin right off the bottom here waiting to set the drag.

G20man, Dish7 and Lightfoot like this.
  10. Lightfoot

Lightfoot

I last read this probably a year ago and forgot the vast majority of it. Actually my memory is outstanding but my selective recall abilities are horrible.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=20466881&dopt=Abstract

Skimming over a quick google search brings many more, this is just two.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5845664/

http://labs.russell.wisc.edu/samuel/welcome/cwd/genetics-epidemiology/prnp/

The big money kinda shoots holes in the insurance company conspiracy theories.

"Believe" Higher and more widespread in the short term and the same in the end. I have no idea what equates to the "end".

11. Huntnut

Huntnut

"I think someone is full of it"

I don't know if you are referring to me or not, but if you are, here is a summation:

I am just not as picky as I used to be when deciding whether or not to shoot a buck that is giving me an opportunity. I am not as picky because CWD was found relatively close to the property that I hunt. I feel the property I hunt has far too many deer and therefore is ripe for disease transmission. I think removing a % of deer (regardless of sex or age) will do nothing but help the herd in the future.

That's it.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    motdean and Rut-N-Strut like this.
  12. G20man

G20man Banned

You said ....
    Older bucks/ deer are have higher prevalence rates.

You said....
    The area you hunt has too many deer.

Sounds like sex and age have everything to do with what should be done.

jr28schalm likes this.
  13. mbrewer

mbrewer

Sounds like a pretty good harvest strategy to me considering his goal - Reducing the likely hood of a CWD outbreak.

By harvesting does at a 2.5 to 1 ratio and harvesting bucks by opportunity, he's lowering herd density and not protecting from harvest the cohort most likely to introduce disease to a presumably disease free environment.

"I won't change a thing until it's too late to change, so why do it now?" Others may differ but that doesn't strike me as a very stewardly position. Which is IMO, a fair representation of a very popular position on any what to do about CWD discussion.

motdean likes this.
  14. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

Want to check out the camp I am selling in PA? You could hunt there for a week and not see one deer, let alone a "big buck".

NONE of my cousins hunt there anymore either, why? No deer, and I can assure you it's NOT do to lack of skill. If you were to go into their basements, see ALL of the mounts of "big bucks" bear, wolves, etc etc, you would learn, that despite all the talk, there are now areas, that once had a LOT of deer, that are just about void of them.

That two acres is for sale! LOL!

15. G20man

G20man Banned

Pennsylvania is a big state.
    Now think about that for a minute.