Can I use a.223 for deer hunting?

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by Russ FimbingerGrandp, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Russ FimbingerGrandp

Russ FimbingerGrandp

I am thinking about using my Ruger model 77 in .223 caliber for deer hunting this year. Any thoughts or comments? Thanks for the input.

2. brookie1

brookie1

3. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

4. cotote wacker

cotote wacker

Not in the "Limited Firearms Zone" rest of the state no restrictions on caliber....just no 22 or smaller rimfire....
    Premium copper or bonded bullet would be a smart choice....
    I've shot truck loads of deer on "anterless cull permits" with 223 and 22-250 its a better choice to step up to a 243 its been my choice for decades....leaves a better blood trail if needed....

5. skipper34

skipper34

The .243 in 100gr has probably killed more whitetail across America than the 30-30. Sweet caliber to shoot deer with. I love mine.

6. Russ FimbingerGrandp

Russ FimbingerGrandp

Thanks for the suggestion. I will do a search.

7. Cat Power

Cat Power

I’ve never used a 223, but I do have a fast twist 22-250 and I would use it for deer with a 62 grain Barnes TTSX bullet.

8. Mole Hill

Mole Hill

If you can shoot and hit the vitals it's a great deer gun I still believe .22's had great success on killing deer it's shot placement that matters.

9. sourdough44

sourdough44

Yeah, kinda workable, good bullets, reasonable range, good shot placement. If into 200+ yard ‘hail Mary’ shots, not the best choice.

10. FullQuiver

FullQuiver

Yes and it will work fine. Use a well constructed bullet like a 62 gr Federal Fusion or 62 or 75gr Speer Gold Dot or find some 64 gr bsb from Nosler.. and go hunting. Use good shot placement ( think bow shots) stay away from high shoulder shots and hard angles and you will be fine..

I have killed 15+ deer with mine without hiccup. Longest distance traveled after the shot was around 50+/- yards and all that did run had decent blood trails..

cotote wacker likes this.
  11. Gone Coastal

Gone Coastal

With the heaviest bullet ya can find, keep shots within 150 yds, pick shots like a bow hunter. If ya have a heavier caliber rifle that ya shoot well leave the 223 for coyotes , targets and vermin. The 223 is accurate enough for long range but Light bullets become poorer performers when range is extended and bone or muscle are hit. I don’t own one but a good friend works at a deer hunting ranch and they do use 22-250sto cull the heard. All neck shooting at close range.