Can I give fish away to someone who doesn't have a license?

Discussion in 'Questions about MI Hunting/Fishing Law' started by hawgeye, Jan 20, 2018.

1. hawgeye

hawgeye

Can I give fish to my neighbor who doesn't fish or have a license?
    Could he get in trouble for having fish without a license?
    I'm not worried about anyone actually getting in trouble for but just curious if it's illegal.

itchn2fish likes this.
  2. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

I do it all the time.

Just don't give it to him "raw" at the launch...lol

Scout 2, Nostromo, 6Speed and 3 others like this.

3. frenchriver1

frenchriver1 Mr. Flatfish Premium Member

Are your talking about game fish within your limit or just any fish?

4. 6667supersport

6667supersport

I would hope so, think most of us fish so much there is no way we could eat all the fish we catch. 95% of the fish I catch is given to others and most never fish, just love to eat fish. I gave three people pounds of walleye fillets for Xmas :lol:, and they are very happy to get it.

5. Outdoor2daCore

Outdoor2daCore

Absolutely but as suggested, it's safer to make sure it's processed. I give away to several people that don't fish, but love eating it.

6. hawgeye

hawgeye

I was just wondering if it's actually illegal. I provide a few family members with enough fish for the lent season who don't fish, they act like it's gold! I give away 75 percent of my fish. I'm sure it's not something they look for.

7. adjusted3

adjusted3

I have never seen giving away processed fish as an issue. more of an issue is where transporting fish unprocessed and that is overcome as well.

I am going by memory so forgive me is I am a little off, but this principle is correct. technically, when you give away fish it should accompany your fishing license and phone number if the recipient does not own a fishing license or they would be in violation of possession and/or over possession. Really though, the DNR is not going to look in their freezer.
    I have never given my license number for this and I am not about to start. I have 2 elderly neighbors that I give fish to on a regular basis as well as other neighbors that don't fish.

Transporting is an other issue.

As an example, 3 of us are out bluegill fishing and we take 3 limits and give all our fish to one person to take home. In transporting those fish, he is over limit. But, if you just jot down the other 2 license numbers and phone numbers and give that to him while he transports, he would be fine. He would still be in violation of procession limits but the other 2 licenses should overcome that.

The above scenario happens more then one would think.
    Mark

fishwiz and Shoeman like this.
  8. petronius

petronius

I never heard that having another person's fishing license number and phone number while transporting fish over the limit circumvents the law. Where did you see this rule or law so I can look it up?

9. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

I do this all the time myself. I know many old timers who can't fish anymore and while I'm not feeding their extended family once a week I'll bring em some fresh fish a couple times each year. I sure as hell hope someone does this for me when I'm 90 if I live that long....store bought fish is nasty compared to the real thing.

HAWKEYE29 likes this.
  10. plugger

plugger Premium Member

When I fish with my son or son and grandsons When we come back to the parking lot I give them my fish and they head home. If they or we ever got ticketed for this Grampa would be hiring a lawyer, I fish with her Dad quite a bit, and would be headed to a jury trial.

11. wpmisport

wpmisport

Seems like it would be legal. If you are not over the legal limit in your freezer I think it would fine. Salmom weirs harvesting eggs will give away fish but that may be a different regulation.

12. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

I'm pretty sure he meant goldfish that he won at the carnival.

13. Quack attack

Quack attack

There is no legal limit in your refrigerator or freezer. Please review Fisheries order FO 248 on the MDNR website.

14. MossyHorns

MossyHorns

Please read through that again! It clearly states a possession limit, which includes frozen fish.

Fisheries Order 248.16

Possession Limits for Fish

By authority conferred on the Natural Resources Commission and the Department of Natural Resources by Part 487 of 1994 PA 451, MCL 324.48701 to 324.48740, it is ordered on November 5, 2015, the following section(s) of the Fisheries Order shall read as follows:

Department Fisheries Orders regulate various statewide and area-specific daily possession limits for fish. In addition to one (1) day's possession limit of fish, a person may possess an additional two (2) days' possession limit of fish that are processed by any of the following methods:
    1. Canning in a sealed container.
    2. Curing by smoking or drying.
    3. Freezing in a solid state.

A person’s processed fish aboard a vessel, on the water or at dockside shall be considered to be in the person’s possession for the purposes of this Order.

Anglers may engage in Catch-and-Immediate-Release (CIR) fishing after reaching the maximum allowed daily possession limit for a given species.

The additional two days’ possession limit provision does not apply to Lake Sturgeon or Muskellunge. The harvest of Lake Sturgeon shall be limited to the provisions as set forth in FO-240. The harvest of Muskellunge shall be limited to the provisions as set forth in FO-215.

This Order shall be assigned number FO-248.16, and is entitled “Possession Limits for Fish.”

This Order supersedes the Order entitled "Possession Limits for Fish," effective April 1, 2011, and assigned number FO-248.11. This Order shall take effect on April 1, 2016 and shall remain in effect until amended/rescinded.

petronius and 6Speed like this.
  15. Quack attack

Quack attack

Hello Mossyhorns, yes the order describes what you can possess on top of your daily limit and that those fish need to be processed in one of the ways outlined. "1. Canning in a sealed container. 2. Curing by smoking or drying. 3. Freezing in a solid state." Just below that it states "A person’s processed fish aboard a vessel, on the water or at dockside shall be considered to be in the person’s possession for the purposes of this Order." This means that possession limit only applies under those conditions. Just so you know I'm a bass angler and rarely keep a walleye for dinner but thought people should know the law. I confirmed this in person with a DNR officer and also by E mail with the DNR's law enforcement expert.Hope this clears this up. If not I encourage you to check with the DNR and report back with their answer if different than what I stated. Happy trails.