camping in the UP in August

Discussion in 'Michigan Youngsters in the Out-Of-Doors' started by wyldkat49766, Jun 23, 2011.

1. wyldkat49766

wyldkat49766

My son wants to go camping in the UP yet this summer. After boy scout camp in July, I am not going to have a lot of funds to go all over. Im looking for somewhere within an hour or 2 at the most from the bridge where we can tent. He would like to go canoeing a definately some swimming. I haven't been up there in years and that was with my family so I didn't do the driving but don't remember camping up there too much. Also, a friend of mine and her 13 yr old may come up from GR and go with us and they are total city people.

If anyone has suggestions on an area to go or whatever I would appreciate the help.

2. tedshunter

tedshunter

Not sure if these are stil open or not I have noe been up there in about 10 years.Try Ross Lake/Cusino Lk/Gemini Lk and there is a nice little county camp ground on the Fox River about 1/4 mile north of Seney.All them other lakes/campgrounds are about 20 miles west of Seney and a little north of M-28. They are rustic and very secluded campgrounds.

3. casscityalum

casscityalum Premium Member

Personally I would go to munuscong river state campground. Its close to bridge, the soo, st ig, and what not. Very primitive. No power but has a hand pump well.

We stay there during duck season and love it.

Not sure on swimming. Id go to the soo to swim.
    OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  4. wyldkat49766

wyldkat49766

That actually looks promising. its only about 4 hrs from me and then an hour from pictured rocks.... Thanks I will have to look into this one further.

5. Itchin' to go

Itchin' to go

If you don't want to travel all over I suggest staying in the Newberry area. You can go to Oswalds Bear Ranch, Upper and Lower Tahquamenon falls, Whitefish Point Shipwreck Museum, Rainbow Lodge (canoeing the Two Hearted River), Pictured Rocks And Grand Marais.

All these are within an hour, most are closer, to Newberry and all of them are relatively inexpensive stops.

3 tips...1.Take the small boat across to the Island at Lower Tahq. falls. 2. Walk the beach in Grand Marais lots of neat rocks for the kids. 3. If you want to save on driving enter Pictured Rocks from the east side after visiting Grand Marais. You dont have to drive all the way to Munising unless your taking a boat tour or Miners Castle is a "must see" for you.

Oh and visit UPtravel.com it has all the info for planning a U.P. visit.

Ryan

6. sixgun4866

sixgun4866

Oswalds is a definate stop our kids enjoy that the most the cost is minimal $10 for car load the last time we were there if memory serves me right.

7. da_north2100

da_north2100

I would agree with Itchin' to go, the Newberry area has many things to offer. I have lived here for 19 years and I'm still amazed by it's beauty and the adventure you can have. If you stayed at Rainbow Lodge/camp ground you can rent a canoe, swim and even fish. From there you can go see all the sights that Itchin' to go mentioned. Make it an adventure by taking all the back roads were you have a chance to see bear, moose and deer. It would be a trip you all will remember. You would be an hour to an hour and half from most attractions.

Here is the link: http://www.exploringthenorth.com/twoheart/rainbow.html

8. wyldkat49766

wyldkat49766

I know Im bumping an old thread but doing it this year. I found a cabin for $425 a week in Curtis on Big Manistique lake. My son may be attending either LSSU or NMU and those will be stops while we are up there. My son will be 17 this year too. Hubby were going to have a honeymoon for our 10th anniversary this April. But the cost of the cabin is the same as 2 nights at the Soaring Eagle. So going to be a family vacation. Honestly the first one we have every really taken like this. But with the cabin we dont have to worry about weather and if hubby doesn't want to make an expedition, he can stay and fish. Im going for end of June this time.
    Going to make the plunge and go to the island too. The price of 1 ticket now is almost what I paid for a 5pack back in '90. The Head Chef at the Grand is still one of the ones I worked under. Hoping he can let me take my family in to see where I used to work.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  9. bucko12pt

bucko12pt

Register on Up North Live, Sheplers has half off tickets on there periodically.

10. Cork Dust

Cork Dust

Late June would be best if you are committed to that month for a trip to the U.P. The Island, as you know, really gets hoppin' from the 4th of July on, likely limiting access to the Grand. Get ready, they charge you to walk and sit on the veranda...very different perspective.

Northern will offer your child a better overall experience, as well as a more open community. I spent four years in the Soo just after the closure of Kincloe AFB, odd, very closed community. Marquette is a great summer town. Much more student friendly as well.

11. wyldkat49766

wyldkat49766

The view is nice but not for $10 a person.

12. stickman1978

stickman1978

Curtis is a nice little town. Stayed there a few time. Gordons, Northshore ,
    Figels, maybe different names by now. Quiet, no traffic and crowds.

13. shametamer

shametamer

Pharmaceutical company,Fisheries biologist and the forest service???? How did my friends in the Soo let you out alive? geez they must be aging as badly as I am...I will have to have a chat with them later this spring so nothing like this happens again....:D
    Much prefer the eateries around the soo to the fast food/national chain blitz of Marquette.

p.s. Death to Dyer..the ol Denby FRAUD!!!!!:16suspect

p.p.s.
    Must be an MSU grad...is, or was Kincheloe..but I bet u down a KEG with the best of 'em.....:yikes::lol:

14. wyldkat49766

wyldkat49766

Well we have the dates set. Aug 17, 18 & 19. Son got a job at KMart so we needed to find a time when he could request time off. Plus college starts up the week after for him (& myself as Im going back to college). Going to take a stop at Cut River for pictures by the bridge. He went on a day trip with friends in June and that just looks like it will be a super spot for a couple of senior pictures. We are going is own and plan on using some of the natural areas and falls there for the back drop. Im leaning towards Wandering Wheels campground. Im not a big fan of vault toilets and would like at least a decent shower and some electricity for the evening. So far its my son and I and 1 of his friends. Another may join us.