Cabelas losing appeal to you?

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by Swamp Boss, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Swamp Boss

Swamp Boss

Anyone else finding that Cabela's just isn't the outfitting store it was before Bass Pro bought them?

Prices are horrible, selection size-especially when the Redhead brand is displayed- lower. And the Bargain Cave should be called the "Still overpriced for the value" cave!

I don't know when the last time I ordered anything from them or purchased anything from a store. At this point I have some gift cards I will use sooner or later and go to whichever outfitter fills the void left by Cabela's slide!!!

2. buckhunter14

buckhunter14

I was on the outs when they put in the “local” store a few years ago. Then the merger with BPS has just left the place in shambles. Disappointing to see as I really valued a lot of their equipment in years past. I have shifted almost exclusively using Cabelas to not at all.

3. wildcoy73

wildcoy73

Found a few decent pieces on things here in grand Rapids.
    Peices are ok in store and a better selection than online.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

4. Lumberman

Lumberman Premium Member

Yeah it’s over for Cabela’s as far as I’m concerned.

They are becoming a giant clothing store.

5. U.P.WoodChuck

U.P.WoodChuck

I've been ordering from cabela's for years because of where I live. Ive noticed a dramatic shift in quality and prices in the last 5 or so. No better than Gander either and we have one locally which I refuse to shop at unless there are no other options. Both in my opinion are going downhill fast.

6. thelastlemming

thelastlemming

Cabela’s even the smaller “outpost” stores is still a cool store to walk through but it’s basically a clothing store with overpriced guns and outdoor gear along the walls. they can’t hold a candle to more local stores that have a better understanding of their local customer base the way a Jay’s or Frank’s Great Outdoors does.

Retrobird, BigW, daakota and 3 others like this.
  7. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

Cabela's ceased to be Cabela's when they sold out to that holding company. Wall knows less about hunting and fishing than most anti-hunters do.

It was all over when that happened.

8. Rasputin

Rasputin Premium Member

I'm having a hard time even using up my Cabela bucks, much less finding anything I can spend my money on.

9. MossyHorns

MossyHorns

I liked Gander Outdoors, but they are closing the doors. Employees at the Portage store were told last Friday before they opened for the day. Everything in the store is 40% off except guns, ammo, and generators. Place was packed over the weekend. Shelves are pretty bare now.

TriggerDiscipline likes this.
  10. Sasquatch Lives

Sasquatch Lives

Same here, have a couple gift cards and everything they have is overpriced. Clothing is grossly overpriced and unless you wear XXXL or S they are out of anything I wanted. Just to use my gift cards up I decided to order online a couple packs of name brand broadheads from them. Next day get an e-mail that my order has been cancelled! Vendor out of stock or something. I mean these are broadheads that I could have got anywhere locally and they are out of them! Insane! Ordered them from Midway for $10 less and had them in two days. Told my wife and daughters from now on gift cards from Jay's, Franks or Midway only. No more Cabela's bs.

Howard Baumann and 2kidshunting like this.
  11. Duke of Flintown

Duke of Flintown

I go there to walk around and check out the fish tank.........that's about it. Ran into a lot of issues that you guys have had, no sizes, overpriced ..stuff that I can get from Rogers/Amazon or other places for cheaper, no one in the store knows anything about anything, when I do order online my order gets cancelled or takes 7-9 days because its coming from the manufacturer. My wife wants to be in there more than I do.... that should tell you something. Shame really.... used to love getting the catalogs as a kid and looking thru it and now its just crap comparatively.

Aaronjeep2 likes this.
  12. Wolverine423

Wolverine423

Haven’t been a fan of Cabelas for years... Most merchandise is absolutely garbage. Floor help is usually hanging out in the bathrooms together... Check outs are a joke. Really have no reason to go there.

snortwheeze likes this.
  13. Waif

Waif

14. Highball28

Highball28

An undisclosed buddy of mine at an undisclosed cabelas recently got a case of hevi steel for $17.99 due to the cashier scanning the wrong barcode.. I guess I'm gonna start hanging out there more often.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

15. ON ICE

ON ICE

I live 10 minutes from the Dundee store and I won't even waste my time going in there anymore. It could catch fire and I wouldn't piss on it to put it out. Anymore it's nothing more than an overpriced clothing and home decor store.

Sent from my LM-X410PM using Michigan Sportsman mobile app