cabelas going out of business

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Mr Burgundy, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Rounder

Rounder Banned

Fleetfarm now has Vietnameze fleece hunting pants and jacket, same pattern, or close enough. I was surprised how price they were, but I am sure cheaper then Cabelas. Probably identical at some other store.

I don't like the cabelas pants cause the belt loops are to small.

Some people say they are burdened with paying for big stores, true, but you would also think they can buy in bulk and move volume.

2. Lumberman

Lumberman Premium Member

I don't doubt for two seconds that if you're super frugal and shop around you can find things cheaper.

I just don't have the time or energy to shop all over and buy from a bunch of different stores to maybe save a few dollars. I buy in bulk a few times a year and try to buy everything after the season. All the camo clothing in GR was just 50% off for instances.

I watch for sales then use my 5% discount and end with high quality fair priced items that are hard to beat.

3. Rounder

Rounder Banned

I got a buck knife $40 by googling and clicking on Amazon. Free shipping.

Didn't take much effort. That is a huge difference. Would have been more if I had cabelas ship it.

You should at least check common items against amazon

4. bassman00

bassman00

The majority of my outdoor purchases are made through Amazon, best prices and free shipping. Can get most of my stuff sitting in my underware. Only time I use Cabelas is when I use my rewards from my AMEX. I'm a contractor and run my business through my Lowes AMEX and have about a grand every quarter to blow at Cabelas. Cabelas is good for that.

5. Rounder

Rounder Banned

I thought of something funny. People say catalog places have unfair advantage over Cabelas. What is Cabelas?

6. frenchriver1

frenchriver1 Mr. Flatfish Premium Member

Cabela's, like many other retail establishments, has both brick and mortar and online shopping functions. You the customer make the choice best for you at the time. They even accept country boys shoppers.

People who shop catalogues can take advantage of possible free shipping, or even reduced shipping versus the cost of driving to Cabela's. There is however the distinct advantage of trying a piece of equipment such as a reel in the store before buying which you cannot get through a catalogue.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    Howard Baumann likes this.
  7. Rounder

Rounder Banned

My point is much of their sales are from orders. Even when they had less stores, they were still expensive.

8. frenchriver1

frenchriver1 Mr. Flatfish Premium Member

Not sure how sales from orders and less(fewer) stores has any relevance to pricing.

If you think you can do better at another place as to price, go for it.

9. Rounder

Rounder Banned

I do. I ordered from Amazon. Saving 40%.

Some people say Cabelas excuse is they are at a disadvantage over internet stores. But they sell alot over the internet too, which has less overhead.

10. StStutz

StStutz

I totally agree. Amazon and sierra trading post gets 90% of my business nowadays. Sierra's stock is hit or miss but you cannot beat the prices.

just picked up a daiwa laguna spinning reel at sierra for $17 with free shipping.

it's $40 at cabelas and $51.88 after shipping.

11. Kennybks

Kennybks

Can't seem to find anything about it today, but I read yesterday about a merger of cabela's and an electronic communication company who specializes in in-store communications. These are for the sole purpose of enhancing the experience and providing better service to physical shoppers.

Looked legit to me.

12. brigeton

brigeton

Being able to look at something before buying is one advantage to a store, if they have it. By ordering online you can get exactly what you want and not have to settle for what's on the shelf. But you have to know what you want. Many times if I'm thinking of buying a product I go read the reviews at Cabelas even if I buy somewhere else.

13. Fishndude

Fishndude

I won't buy any footwear without trying it (them) on first.

14. Rounder

Rounder Banned

I have bought boots online. So much to choose from, so little at the store. I have had to eat return shipping.

15. BUGBOAT

BUGBOAT

On the news today. Cabelas was bought by Bass Pro for 5.5 billion. A search brings up lots of threads in different sub forums. Not sure how I feel, but think it can't be good for competition, quality goods, and prices.