cabelas going out of business

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Mr Burgundy, Nov 21, 2015.

1. frenchriver1

frenchriver1 Mr. Flatfish Premium Member

Seems to put to rest the idea that they place their stores in out of the way places. At least their locations pull in customers from distances away.

2. Chromelander

Chromelander

I do almost all of my shopping from cabelas on line from my couch. I get it in just a few days. They have been running great deals for several months now. Bass pro doesn't come close to the deals right now. Makes you wonder if they're trying to greatly reduce inventory, especially on the cabelas brand name. Alot is half price

3. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

THIS, combined with the fact that Cabelas usually rapes you on shipping, is why they get very little business from me.

4. Rounder

Rounder Banned

Cabelas is expensive. I tend use promo codes or sales. Most places are cheaper, but cabelas tends to have good selection.

5. Rounder

Rounder Banned

I won't even walk in a Gander Mountain anymore

6. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Gander mountain is horrible. The one nearest me is just a disaster...

d_rek, Uncle Boopoo and timbob88 like this.
  7. slip.sinker

slip.sinker

8. Rounder

Rounder Banned

Been wanting a new knife. See a Buck knife on Cabelas site $109. I thinking about getting it. Google it cause I want to learn more. Amazon has it for $67 and so does Walmart, probably others. That is a huge difference. Usually $10-20. How do they stay in business?

Glad I checked.

9. StStutz

StStutz

10+yrs ago i ordered exclusively from cabelas, but i rarely order anything from them now. Their prices are right around retail and typically do not very good sales. Regardless of the business it is difficult to compete these days. Amazon prime and Sierra Trading Post gets 90% of my business now. the bargain caves are nice to check out in person. But i think cabelas is planning for some kind of change. the 6 months or so they have been running significantly more sales and the majority of the sale items (especially those with large discounts) are cabelas brand items. i have a cabelas visa also and noticed a month back that my statement indicated that my points would expire in April of this year. Has anyone else noticed anything like this with their Cabela Bucks? I asked at the grandville store and the girl didn't know and suggest i talk with the CC dept there. I didn't feel like waiting so i went and bought a pistol with the points to make sure they didn't go to waste.

10. d_rek

d_rek

THe big box stores have far more significant overhead than any online retailer. If you think about it they have to pay for the infrastructure (ie: building), maintenace, utilities, staffing, logistics, etc... the list goes on. An online retailer has a fraction of the overhead as a big box store and it's why they can offer better prices or closer to wholesale. All of the markup from Cabelas is going to paying for overhead for those mega stores!

Good to know about the points though..

goodworkstractors likes this.
  11. StStutz

StStutz

Exactly, and that is why box stores are going out of business left and right.

IMO the customer service and knowledge that Cabelas offers is out of balance with their pricing.

"All of the markup from Cabelas is going to paying for overhead for those mega stores! "

If this were true they would be a non-profit organization. I assure you there are plenty of people within the company that are compensating their selves VERY WELL!

Jimbos likes this.
  12. Jimbos

Jimbos

I was looking for a one piece 7 foot rod today on Cabelas website and the price wasn't that great, then I had to add shipping and then they wanted an 8 buck surcharge on top of that for an oversized item.

No way, and it reaffirmed why I buy so little from Cabelas. They used to be decent until they started building those Taj Mahals.

13. Rounder

Rounder Banned

You would like to think so, but I don't know.

My scopes was not mounted level. This is from the gunsmith not just some shelf stacker.

When faced with the same product $50 cheaper, I am going to choice cheaper, if both American. This was a knife, not some high end equipment either. It was around 40% more.

Also I don't care for all the Viet Nam products.

14. BUGBOAT

BUGBOAT

I have a Cabelas Visa, member since 2001, Signature Black status. I just looked at my current statement 1/15 and my last statement. There is nothing that talks about my points expiring. Maybe you haven't been using your card and they don't hold the points forever?

15. Rounder

Rounder Banned

I have had a card longer, and black status. WTF is the black status even worth? My online statement didnt say anything, will look at the paper one when it gets here.