C and R Smallies

Discussion in 'Lk. St. Clair and St. Clair River' started by Ooey Gooey Bouy, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Ooey Gooey Bouy

Ooey Gooey Bouy

I have usually spent my spring chasing Wally's on the DR. Since C and R bass is open year round now, I am wanting to spend more time smallmouth fishing this year. My question is: When do the smallies start hitting on the lake? Have they started yet?

Thanks, y'all.....

2. Zib

Zib

If you know how to fish for them in the early spring cold water then you can catch them now. I know some one that did really good on Saturday right up until he fell in the lake losing a pole & breaking another one in the process.

I'm like you, I'd rather catch smallies than walleye any day. Last year once I heard they opened the entire year to C&R I didn't have to worry about fighting the walleye crowds at the ramp. I hope to be out there next weekend but the weather forecast isn't looking good for that to happen.

3. faceindisguise85

faceindisguise85

I wonder how C and R fishing during spawning is going to affect smallmouth populations. It's a shame because not many ecological studies were performed before enacting the year round C and R. Removing a smallmouth from its nest during the spawn leaves the eggs open to predation. As soon as the bass is gone the round gobbies go to work decimating the nest until the bass is returned to chase them off. If the nest losses to many eggs the bass will abandon the nest. This video is shot in Lake st Clair showing a smallmouth nest. The bass was removed from the nest for a few minutes simulating a catch. Immediately the gobbies move in until the bass is returned. What is going to be the long term affects of this?

4. Ooey Gooey Bouy

Ooey Gooey Bouy

Im not sure what the long term affects will be. Hopefully if a decline in the wellness of the population is detected in coming years, the regs will change to ensure a healthy population. I do know from fishing LSC for years that there is no lack of healthy population of Smallies now. You can practically drop a crawler anywhere in that whole 400 square mile lake and pick up a smallmouth or two during the summer... Im no biologist, and I have not looked into this issue at all, but perhaps the quality of fish will go up if there is less successful reproduction. Competition for food would be less. I know that I seem to catch 10 1-1.5lbs fish for every one over 3 lbs....

faceindisguise85 likes this.
  5. QuackerWacker99

QuackerWacker99

Get out on the lake the smallies are hungry Saturday and Sunday we caught over 100 fish on tubes and swim baits

6. The Fishing Pollock

The Fishing Pollock

Again. We have been fishing C&K on bass for 40 + years during the traditional spawning period in Michigan. Especially in the northern waters where I live. The fishing just keeps getting better with most bass guys practicing C&IR. Evidence in this can be found in numerous BASS articles, Noff's shows and articles and every other pro with a show that comes to Michigan to film.

We had a chance at a study for a few years with a C&DR season on 12 giant lakes in the state. This was shut down by a small group on LSC , a outdoor writer , and several guides. All talking about 1 lake and nothing else. Citing studies done in other states , but never one done here. That was a fantastic oppertunity to get information for biologists to study, but alas. No go. (Thanks NRC, you guys are doing a great job in expanding fishing in our state!)
    \
    I am very thankful we now have a year round C&IR. No more wasting CO's time in investigating if a bassboat is fishing for bass in a closed season or just out fishing . ( it has happened to me countless times)As soon as this ice melts off up here I'm out with blade baits hitting deep holes and putting our new , intelligent season to some good use.

Ooey Gooey Bouy likes this.
  7. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

But I thought the musky ate all the fish in st clair? ;)

I'd love to catch a bunch of smallies, too. I've decided this year to focus more on C&R than anything else. Anything that will give a good tug on the line and smallies will do just that. If I want something to eat I will catch a couple small eyes or better yet some perch.

I suck at catching bass so I've got no good advice lol.

fishinfanatic19 likes this.
  8. Fish Eye

Fish Eye

Even more astonishing to me, is the catch and kill Bass season begins Memorial Weekend on all MI waters other than Lake St. Clair. Imagine Bass being caught and kept to eat, or for a tournament weigh during the last weekend in May on lakes such as Burt, CVX, Torch, Sag Bay etc. I don't know why the DNR won't protect Bass until the third week in June to get them through this vulnerable time. Yes, I will be fishing the C & R Bass season on LSC, however, I do not believe it is nearly as destructive as early season Bass tournament and meat fishing. At least with C & R the fish makes it back to the bed in relatively short order.

9. motocross269

motocross269

You would have to not keep fish until into July on some Michigan Lakes in order to not fish during the spawn..Especially the lakes that were mentioned like Burt, Mullet, Charlevoix and other Northern lakes....Not all fish spawn at the same time and the spawn can spread out for months......And not all fish spawn in Shallow water...I have caught spawning smallmouth in 3 FOW up to 30 FOW in Michigan....
    There is no real Scientific reason not to fish during the spawn....It is all hearesy and hysteria driven logic....

10. faceindisguise85

faceindisguise85

[QUOTE="
    There is no real Scientific reason not to fish during the spawn....It is all hearesy and hysteria driven logic....[/QUOTE]
    I completely disagree with you. You must not have an understanding for ecology and the way the ecosystem functions. There very much is a scientific reason for whether or not to fish during the spawn. There is scientific reasoning behind everything. In fact one of the issues being addressed at an upcoming seminar at sportsmen direct put on by the Michigan Sea Grant and MDNR is the effects of fishing on bass. By the way I'm not trying to say that we shouldn't be able to fishing during the spawn. I'm just interested in the science and studies concerning it.

11. fishindad

fishindad

This is getting off topic from the OP's comment but some of these posts are not written with understanding:

First off, this calendar period we are presently in (for Micropterus) at the moment is prespawn, not the spawn. I don't think any fisheries biologist has issues with fishing for bass during prespawn. It's when the bass are on beds protecting eggs and eventually fry that is the issue. Second, I will assume you meant "heresay" (not hearesy; don't think you meant heresy) and can confirm that no scientist publishes their work based on hearsay. IMO, the closest thing to hearsay would be "dock talk", in its broadest sense. And, "hysteria driven logic"?? That would be an oxymoron. I know of no NIH-funded scientist that works with a mindset of "hysteria driven logic". Though I do know of many scientists that use logic in forming their conclusions.

Please define "giant lakes". 1000 acres? 5000 acres? 50,000 acres? 300 square miles? Can you cite these 12 "giant" lakes in Michigan that were being studied? Most importantly - this CDR "study" that you refer to was not "shut down". What was "shut down" was the proposal to have year round catch and keep so a relatively small group of tournament bass fishermen could hold tournaments year-round.

In my honest opinion, as a scientist and an avid freshwater angler, there should be no need whatsoever to ever change what the present bass season is - basically all Michigan-licensed anglers can fish for bass year-round!

12. dontbesosensitive

dontbesosensitive

Most states don't have a closed bass season and it's catch and kill year around. The southern states get way more fishing pressure than lakes like Lake St. Clair that is protected by ice and weather for a quarter of the year. The new changes shouldn't have any effect on the bass population, there are plenty of other states to look at for evidence.

13. fvwalleye.com

fvwalleye.com

Smallmouth and musky populations are at historic highs because of lsc water clarity. The zebra mussels have effectively changed the lake to being crystal clear most of the year and this helps sight predators like smallmouth. I wouldn't be concerned with the changes in fishing regulations. I'd be much more concerned with invasive species that get into the lake (like those gobies).

14. The Fishing Pollock

The Fishing Pollock

This is written with complete understanding as was the last.

Dad: the lakes that were to be under the 4 year CDR test period to get actual Michigan Lakes information from studies, not other state's lakes that are not Michigan lakes, were as follows::

Lake Charlevoix (Charlevoix County)
    Houghton Lake (Roscommon County)
    Burt Lake (Cheboygan/Emmet County)
    Mullett Lake Cheboygan County)
    Hardy Dam Pond (Newaygo County)
    White Lake (Muskegon County)
    Muskegon Lake (Muskegon County)
    Gull Lake (Barry/Kalamazoo County)
    Gun Lake (Barry County)
    Kent Lake (Oakland County)
    Portage Chain (Livingston/Washtenaw County)
    Cass Lake (Oakland County)
    Half Moon Chain (Washtenaw County)
    Pontiac Lake (Oakland County)
    Wixom Lake (Gladwin County)
    Holloway Reservoir (Genesee County)

These are not small acerage lakes. They are all large acre lakes who's fish population is enormous and can sustain large amounts of fishing pressure.

As for CDR not being shut down. You are incorrect. It most certainly was a month ago at the last major meeting in Lansing. The NRC stated they would not have this season and refuse to hear anything more on the matter.

You are correct in the C&K year round was shut down 2 years ago after the meeting at the Higgins Lake facility. What you are not correct in is it being only for tournament fishermen. It was for everyone in Michigan. The ones who brought it to the NRC's attention were a group of tournament fishermen, including myself . In regards to providing added angling opportunities for all persons fishing in Michigan waters.

As a scientist, which I honestly would like to know what qualifications you are using because I do not know( not said in an manner other than interest or saying you are fibbing). It just sounds to me you opinion is based on what you think. Not what data suggests. Unfortunately the lack of studies done in Michigan do not offer much information to my knowledge of specific bass angling studies.

This is the exact reason the OP was wondering about. What information do we have on this in our state. Not very much. Should there be more studies and information to make informed choices in how they are managed. Most defiantly.

We all want the same thing, no matter what type of bass fishing we choose to participate in. Be it for table fare, contests , or just for the fun of it. We ALL want a healthy population and the opportunity to fish for them , be it any fasion

15. raisinrat

raisinrat Outdoorblog.net Member Premium Member