Buying Land Sight Unseen

Discussion in 'General Michigan Hunting' started by Forest Meister, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

Would you or have you ever purchased land without seeing it first? Was watching the 6 O'clock news and they were interviewing a couple who claimed they had just purchased some land in the UP and if I heard correctly they were on there way to look it over until today's blizzard made them decide to turn back and try again later.

I have heard buying land without seeing it first was quite common almost a century or so ago when travel was not what it is today but I find it incomprehensible now. FM

jr28schalm and Hunters Edge like this.
  2. Magnet

Magnet

"Sight unseen" isn't what it used to be.... with the internet and pictures posted, google maps, google earth, etc.

3. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

Saw that also, no way I thought.

4. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

My brother in law sold a cabin on Indian lake near manistique. The guy who bought it was from Ohio and never looked at it. He was familiar with the lake but never set foot in the cabin. Just looked at the realtor pictures. He had a buddy from the area come and Check out things like the well and furnace.

TriggerDiscipline likes this.
  5. Jimbo 09

Jimbo 09

People do it all the time. Expecially like the dnr land action or foreclosers. Like said with google earth and satalitw view plus pictures from the seller it can give you a good idea of what your getting into.

6. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

I bought a 40 sight unseen in the U P 20 years ago. It took 10 years to find it but it is a really nice chunk of ground. I think we were lucky.

aph and jr28schalm like this.
  7. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

Many, many, times.
    Every so often you will get burned.

8. Wolverick

Wolverick

I bought my first parcel from memory. I had driven by and knew it was cut over hardwood with a rise about three hundred feet in. I had no idea it dropped off significantly on the other side. After my first walk, on snow shoes, I thought to myself I had really screwed up. Ended up building on top of the hill and have been enjoying the view for thirty plus years.

Back then it was some of the best mushroom ground in the area. Now its crawling with deer.

jr28schalm likes this.
  9. bucko12pt

bucko12pt

Fairly common in the hot housing market right now. My son sold his home in TC last fall and the first two bidders never looked at the property. Winning bidder was from downstate and paid $15k over the asking price.

TriggerDiscipline and aph like this.
  10. sniper

sniper

Depends what the use of land would be for.....For deer hunting, not a chance in you know what....

jr28schalm and old graybeard like this.
  11. jd4223

jd4223

My late cousin bought 10 acres in the U P sight unseen over 30 years ago. Turned out to be swamp land..To this day no one can actually find out the property lines(boundaries) since it's all swamp. Have no idea what his wife is going to do with it.

12. MEL

MEL

What could go wrong?
    :rolleyes:

13. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

The land could be so valueless that the adjoining private landowners were not interested in it at any price, the state wouldn't accept it as a gift, and realtors were no interested in listing it. True story. FM

jr28schalm likes this.
  14. Waif

Waif

Land locked , or with an easment that is not transferred would be rough too.
    One parcel I looked at had access through some ones yard very near the home. Did not care for that, or confirm it' s legitimacy.

15. Alaska at Heart

Alaska at Heart

I've been shopping for a 20 acre piece for my retirement for several years and cannot fathom doing such a thing. Several of which I saw online photos had barely any resemblance to the actual conditions of the property when walking it in person. A great way to get swamp or landlocked or a piece that is 100' wide and 3000' long.