Burbot questions?

Discussion in 'Saginaw Bay and its Tributaries' started by Big Shooter, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Big Shooter

Big Shooter

Shout out and big thanks to Dean, (Homer 23) for showing me how to catch my first ever Burbot. We fished Caseville from 5:30 til 10:00 and landed 5 keepers and 1 throw back. It was very windy but not too bad if dressed right. Simple perch rig with big blues was what I caught my 3 fish on. Dean was using some home made sacks with Burbot livers and gobies in them.
    Question # 1, I have them cleaned and cut into 1 inch chuncks to make poor man's lobster. I need a recipe? I've heard about boiling them in 7 up but I don't know amounts of water to 7 up, straight 7 up, any spices, lemon, or any tricks i should know. The wife and I are going to try them for dinner tonight and I don't want to ruin them.
    Question # 2, has anyone tried to freeze them? If so how did they come out after thawing and how did you freeze them. I'd like to catch some more but can't eat that many that often. Thanks and good fishin!

Attached Files:

2. fishippie

fishippie

Nice job on the burbot! What are the big blues you mentioned?

tog1 and Smallie12 like this.

3. hommer23

hommer23

It always fun to see the meek get outdoors and grow from this. 56B231C6-29C7-4F61-8822-803FF053243E.jpeg
    To this in just a few short hours.
    A1DED3BF-E417-4E31-A463-F4A716F78560.jpeg

jiggin is livin and on a call like this.
  4. bicke1js

bicke1js

Awesome job on the fish. Hope they taste great. I caught my first pier lake trout (which was a blast) there Sunday but we couldn't stay late enough for the burbot action. Can anyone tell how long into the fall the burbot can be caught from the pier? I'd really love to give it a shot, but probably won't be able to get back up there until Saturday Dec 5.

5. FISH FRY

FISH FRY

Im usually catching burbot there until the ice flows make it impossible to fish.
    Also catch some Lake trout and walleye mixed in.

6. Big Shooter

Big Shooter

The mask is a loner from dean. LOL. We rode up in his truck and I forgot my mask. Rainbows are kind of strange on the mask... but it got me into the bait shop.:rolleyes: Here's the cooler.

Attached Files:

7. magnum lure

magnum lure

Blue minnows!

8. Big Shooter

Big Shooter

Large walleye shiners.

9. Ralph Smith

Ralph Smith Premium Member

Nice job Gary! :) Wish I could get up there, but having a hard time getting out....did get 1 shy of a 2 man today with John (Huntahalic) 15 cookie cutters about 3 1/2lbers! :lol:
    20201125_171547.jpg

Emerald shiners....they've been called blues as long as I can remember due to the blueish color on them. :)..

10. Big Shooter

Big Shooter

River or bay Ralph? Just got a contract offer letter from EnergySolutions to head back out to California to manage unit 3 reactor vessel internal/external segmentation. As much as I hated California last time the offer is too good to turn down. Start December 28th. Should be a year or 2 project and I'm pulling the plug to retire. Got 3 weeks to play around before heading west. Let's try to get out before then.

11. David Mackinder

David Mackinder

Good luck out there.Hope all expenses are paid.

OH-YEAH!!! likes this.
  12. Big Shooter

Big Shooter

$150.00 a day of tax free per-deim allowed me to save about $2,500 a month last year when I was there. If you shop around its not as expensive as you think. Fully furnished 1 bedroom apartment with water, gas, electricity, dierctv, and internet for $1,000.00 a month in San Clemente. 1/2 mile from the ocean and 6 miles from the plant. Easy to save when all you do is work. Gas prices where through the roof out there. Everything else was close to the same as most places.

13. fisheater

fisheater

I am hoping somebody posts a recipe. Ralph??? You seem to cook everything else well.

Do you skin burbot like catfish?

jiggin is livin likes this.
  14. Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium

Regarding the 7 UP....Do not dilute it. Straight 7 UP and bring to a "boil". It will not boil the same as water. Drop the fish chunks in when it gets to a "boil" and let them go about 10-12 minutes. have some drawn butter to dip them in. Tried this with burbot for my first time last year. As good as it was, my favorite is Fry Magic and corn meal at about a 50/50 mix. Put the fillets in an egg wash and then dredge in the Fry Magic/Cornmeal combination. Cast iron fry pan with peanut oil. Can't get better than that! Slightly buttery flavor.

Ralph Smith and ThreeDogsDown like this.
  15. Ralph Smith

Ralph Smith Premium Member

I just fry em like any other fish. :) I'm sure they'd be good baked also.....actually, if you can get a pm off to Ron(carpetman) on here, his wife made some awesome recipe of a sour cream and cheese type and baked it with some Halibut he brought back from Alaska. That I think would go awesome on burbot! :) I'm also hopeing to try some blackened.

jiggin is livin and fisheater like this.