Bunny Boom?

Discussion in 'MichiganSmallGame.com' started by ESOX, Oct 31, 2020.

1. fisheater

fisheater

I had a dog that was a stud to a patch female a guy from around Green Bay owned. She was Lesage breeding. I got a male pup from that breeding. As he was approaching 2 he was maturing into a nice hound. However that was 2009. I spent the next 3 years working on the road, and no more beagles.

2. reddog1

reddog1

Do you recall the guys name in Wisconsin? Or the name of the female?

3. Whitetail_hunter

Whitetail_hunter

Wont ever stop those dogs from catching rabbits. There legs are too long making them too fast to hunt. There is a reason a beagle has to have legs of a certain length to be registered. Never had my beagles catch any rabbits that were full size, the smaller ones were in trouble though.

Nice dogs by the way.

4. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mod

Not really a good indicator but saw 2 snowshoe up in Alcona Co this summer where we haven't seen so much as a track in years.

jeffm and Fishndude like this.
  5. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

Snowshoes seem to come and go. When I was a kid we had to drive to find them but we had lots of cotton tails. Then one winter right after deer season on the first good snow there were jack tracks all over in the swamp. About ten years later they were gone. I haven't seen one around here in probably thirty years.

6. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mod

We went from boom to bust with rabbits on the property. Been close to 20 years since there was a targetable population of either Cottontail or snowshoe.

7. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

I still have lots of cottontail but no jacks.

8. fisheater

fisheater

My wife isn’t sure where my beagle records were “put away”. My dog (sire) was Motor City Merlin Patch

9. sgc

sgc

Dont care if they're fast or slower, but a dog that can circle a rabbit all day is a desirable beagle, imo. I've seen too many that can't keep a run going when solo'd.

10. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

The neighbors have a beagle and basset cross that runs like my old dog but she's really gun shy you better get the rabbit the first shot because she's going home.

11. throughtheice88

throughtheice88

Yep, a dog will run to it's genetics and physical attributes. Unfortunately, you generally will not be able to alter the way a particular dog runs a rabbit. I must add though, that after spending most of my life raising and running beagles, when it comes to cottontails the last kind of dog I wanted was a fast one! Medium, maybe even medium slow speed was perfect. If you pressure a cottontail too hard they will surely hole up and in a hurry. Now for hare that's a different story. The faster the dog the better.

LTH likes this.
  12. miruss

miruss

Yep slow is good for me i only hunt with .22 so having a bunnies stopping looking back make for a perfect shot like the five on my profile !

13. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

It looks like I have a bumper crop of them little buggers this year.

14. throughtheice88

throughtheice88

Agree about the bunny numbers seeming high also. Though we are always overrun with them, so it's hard to say. Had tons of little ones running around my house this past spring. 20200414_175600.jpg

sureshot006 and jeffm like this.
  15. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

I usually have a nest on a high spot in the back yard if I don't keep the grass short.