Bulldozer work..

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by mustang72, Nov 30, 2020.

1. QDMAMAN

QDMAMAN Premium Member

You're right! Wouldn't want that on my conscience!

brushbuster likes this.
  2. QDMAMAN

QDMAMAN Premium Member

WOW! You're sporting some major wood!

3. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

The world is real.
    He could be sitting there with a caved in basement until somebody wanted to trade for something I guess.
    Prolly still be sitting there.
    Who knows? Maybe the neighbors would call the local building inspectors, have his home condemned, and then have him be homeless while he recovers from his injury.
    He knew what it was worth to have fixed for years.
    Poverty is like that. Things have a way of creeping up on you and going south.

I typically donate at least 1 poverty relief job to a public service group every couple years.

Craves likes this.
  4. Just a small sample

TK81, brushbuster and Ieatshrooms like this.
  5. eyepod

eyepod

No idea what you are rambling on about now. You seemed to have totally missed the meaning of my post. So lets try it again, the best good dead's do not come with a underlying price value attached.

6. jakeo

jakeo

I was JOKING about looking for work.....retired union Electrician and Electrical contractor here. I know the cost of labor and yes I have traded or bartered, but found the worse to be FAMILY.....Enuff said....LOLOL

7. spikekilla

spikekilla

The heavy ones seem to like it

8. TK81

TK81 Premium Member

My FIL was an excavator by trade. Two Deere dozers and two Case extendahoes. I observed some great work he did.

But you should see his driveway. You'd think it belonged on M33.

I asked him why he never regraded his mud pit and brought in some stone. He told me that if he had a nice driveway, that salesmen would stop by.

9. sniper

sniper

So what are you really saying Dish??

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

jr28schalm and Dish7 like this.
  10. Scout 2

Scout 2 Premium Member

I built out the walls of my pole barn to the same distace as the treated posts on the inside. Then I cut 2x
    s to that thickness and set like studs. I cover it all with 1 inch thick popular after I insulated it. I sawed for one guy tht had a lot of red pine and we cut his to the same thickness as the pole on the inside wall. Then he stacked these timbers on each wall. It worked as insulation and for sound plus looked like a log cabin. It has quite a bit of r factor doing this this way

vsmorgantown and Waif like this.
  11. Scout 2

Scout 2 Premium Member

I sawed chestnut beams from an old barn into flooring for a house that ws built where the barn had stood. He had some 18 inch square cedar beams and I would have liked to see the tree they came out of as thepith of the tree was not in any of them

12. Scout 2

Scout 2 Premium Member

One thing I learned with my sawmill is there is no such thing as junk wood. I had an oak log that was wormy so I set it off to the side. A guy comes along and asks about it. I told him about the worm holes and he offered me quite a bit for it if I sawwed it. He stood aand waited for me to saw it took it home he was happy and so was I. Later he showed me the cabinets that he made out of it. Another was what I call rotten wood. It is splated big bucks for that I still have some I sawed here. I had one guy by Niles that is all he would cut to be sawed. His uncle taught me how they sunk box elder and let the fungus work it over under water. When sawed the wood was all pastel colors and with a finish they got brighter. He could not speak english just japinese

NbyNW, BumpRacerX, 3X8 and 7 others like this.
  13. brushbuster

brushbuster Premium Member

I had 2 cherry logs that laid on the ground for 4 years, the sap wood was pretty punky. When I cut into it long black wavy streaks were revealed in the grain. I turned the spalted cherry into cabinet stiles for my cabinets. Beautiful.

14. bucko12pt

bucko12pt

Would you believe start a 6 page argument in the Deer Forum. This has been a pretty funny read. :lol::lol:

Pursue your idea, I spent over 40 years in heavy construction and in sales for Cat and had plenty of small customers that would barter, or do small jobs like you’re talking.

I have a good friend that’s a retired excavator and still has all his equipment for summer work. I pay him $95 an hour for either Cat D4 size dozer, or 3 1/2 yd loader plus $100 mobilization one way to our camp.

15. dafalls

dafalls

I just picked up a Case 350B last week and plan to make minor repairs to it over the winter so it is ready to work next Spring. I am sure I will be hauling it to several friends camps to clear land and will be happy to do so as long as they put fuel in it and keep the beer flowing!
    0217DE42-B130-4F5B-940F-29199A5B401F.jpeg