building a permanent bear blind or just hanging a tree stand each year.

Discussion in 'MichiganBear.com' started by ruttin club, May 15, 2018.

1. ruttin club

ruttin club

I have some land near Lupton mi that butts up to the maltby swamp. The swamp as a good bear population. With all my family we should be able to hunt maybe every two years depending on points. Should I build a permit blind to use and just bait this every year. Or should I just hang a tree stand when we get permits. Does anyone have luck hunting the same spot each year for bear. Should I bait this spot each year a little even though I don't have a permit. (Thoughts)

2. Waif

Waif

A elevated permanent needs careful inspection each spring for signs of metal fastener fatigue due to temperature fluctuations.
    Then there are critters that use it for a home or outhouse.
    Or falling limbs ect..

Multiple sites for baits ,then hunting the one with daytime activity /most activity is not uncommon. Vs. hunting one site.
    A bear catches on to what you are doing at your single stand and then what?

Baiting where you are not hunting this year risks patterning bears for someone else.
    If you are going to bait ,might as well hunt with a quiet hand held camera...
    Building small log piles for a baitsite , or pruning lanes (on your private land) can be done though.

3. sureshot006

sureshot006

We hunt the same spot (or VERY close) every bear tag we get. I don't see any reason to have multiple stands unless the property is a few hundred acres. I'd do a permanent myself... you can put a roof over your head too.

4. SMITTY1233

SMITTY1233

You'd be amazed at what moving a bait site 250-400 yards will do for activity. At the same time an established site year after year can have great benefits if its in the a prime location.

sureshot006 likes this.
  5. sureshot006

sureshot006

I think the exact location is the key. Pick the right one and you can stick with it for years unless the cover somehow changes. We picked the thickest, darkest area on the property which happens to be closest to the thick/dark/swampy areas on the neighboring property. Had 2 other bait sites over the years, too, and had plenty of bears (all the same ones) on camera but the most consistent daylight activity of "shooters" was at one site.

Maybe establish multiple sites first year or two to see what site they prefer, then put up a permanent stand. And who says you can't have more than one permanent...

6. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Bait where bear are vs where you want them to be. They are like a mailman, they have an established route and frequent it on a regular basis.

MISTURN3 likes this.
  7. TrailMarker

TrailMarker

agree with you guys, although I have for the most part, never been the one doing the baiting, carrying one pail shouldn't count

I observed multiple heavy bear trails, and would set up somewhere on those over picking a random spot in the woods and making it the bait site.

Like these guys said, they have an established route and prefer it, but I suppose pressure or a bad experience changes all of it.

The guy that baited our sites had trail cam photos of the bears coming into the bait while he was still there.

sureshot006 likes this.