close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Build a chili dog

Discussion in 'Sound Off (MichiganForums.com)' started by Oldgrandman, Apr 14, 2018.

1. FISHMANMARK

FISHMANMARK

Properly eaten with a knife and fork!

[​IMG]

TK81 and jiggin is livin like this.
  2. Oldgrandman

Oldgrandman Woods and Water Rat Premium Member

Cheese is good on most, but not the ones I showed with the secret family recipe I copied from Kalamazoo. Cheese just doesn't let you savor the chili. Besides what is weird is in Kalamazoo they use a cheese sauce, but real all meat chili?! I mean dang why skimp on the cheese?

Onions is a definite must on all hot dogs chili or otherwise, if you ain't allergic or some silly such thing, LOL!

vsmorgantown and jiggin is livin like this.

3. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin

Where's the onions!?!?!?

Sent from my E6810 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

vsmorgantown and Oldgrandman like this.
  4. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin

Alright fellers, I gotta confess....

If there isn't any chili, I do like onions, mustard and ketchup on my dog.

Another really tasty way is if there is sloppy joe meat, throw that on top with some onions and crunched up potato chips!

petronius likes this.
  5. Oldgrandman

Oldgrandman Woods and Water Rat Premium Member

The ultra-dog (Yesterdog) is the only one I eat with that stuff, sometimes I ask for it without. My wife likes the classic onion, pickle, mustard, and ketchup. I'll eat canned chili before I make one with ketchup! I don't even use it on fries, I use mayo if I have to but prefer tartar sauce!

jiggin is livin likes this.
  6. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin

Now we're talking! Tarter sauce on fries is awesome. That or soak them in malt vinegar. Mmmmmm

Oldgrandman likes this.
  7. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

So there is a bit of a back story on the avocado and chili. I generally tend to make and eat very spicy foods. I made a batch of chili one time that proved to be really hot, even for me. I don't know what inspired me to try it but, I sliced open an avocado, removed the pit and then used my spoon (for eating the chili) to slice away or 'coat' the spoon with a thin layer of avocado before taking a spoonful of chili with each bite. The cool and rich-fatty avocado proved out to 'temper' the spiciness of the chili with each bite. If you like avocado, give it a try when eating chili. It's great!

Oldgrandman and vsmorgantown like this.
  8. Fishndude

Fishndude

I work 1 block from Lafeyette, and American Coney Islands. I do not seek more satisfying Coney Dogs than they serve, cuz I might have to walk further. :eek: I like to throw some chopped Jalapenos on my Coney Dogs, but otherwise they are perfect as-is. I do prefer Lafeyette to American. They do not care about adding chopped Jalapenos to their menu at all.

9. Pinefarm2015

Pinefarm2015

I’ll do a spicy mustard and sriracha ketchup if there’s no chili. Sriracha ketchup is actually pretty solid on burgers and fries too.

If I go meatless and make spicy black bean burgers, sriracha ketchup goes good with grilled onions, jalapeños and a habanero cheese. Wash it down with a lager and a couple tums.

But on a coney dog, specifically, ketchup is a no-no. Even though ketchup and chili are both tomato based, they don’t belong together. IMHO.

Oldgrandman and jiggin is livin like this.
  10. Creek-Chub

Creek-Chub

Genius.

11. I'llbeoutside

I'llbeoutside

12. TK81

TK81

Get yourself a jug of Thai Curry wing sauce from Buffalo Wild Wings. Throw a dollop on those spicy black bean burgers and you'll be in business. I'm a extreme carnivore, but my wife likes those Morningstar burgers and with the thai curry...yeah buddy! Add a slice or two of pepper jack. No bun necessary.

I'm surprised no one has posted a home made sauce recipe. I usually start with a can of hormel beanless chili and spice it up with some cayenne and chipotle, stir in some tomato sauce to thin it down, and then chopped jalepenos. Top it with fresh diced Vidalia onion with some extra sharp cheddar from the Dublin General. Kowalski dogs are hard to beat.

I tend to end up eating mine with a fork.

petronius likes this.
  13. brewster

brewster

I had to cook tonight so, it was coney night. The wet bag made great buns and while I didn't use a skewer I spiral cut the dogs and used my cast iron grill pan to cook the dogs, worked perfectly.

Thanks for the ideas, except now I may have to cook more often when the kids come over.

petronius and Oldgrandman like this.
  14. PerchPatrol

PerchPatrol Premium Member

An attempt with homemade chili and onions and peppers.

[​IMG]

15. ready2fish

ready2fish

This topic made me hungry so last night I had cooked up some good Coney island dogs and sure hit the spot

Sent from my SM-G920V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

petronius and jiggin is livin like this.