close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Build a chili dog

Discussion in 'Sound Off (MichiganForums.com)' started by Oldgrandman, Apr 14, 2018.

1. ma1979

ma1979

My Aunt and Uncle live in Auburn just north of there. I know where I'm eating next time we go down for a visit. Thanks

Sent from my Alcatel 6055U using Tapatalk

2. GIDEON2

GIDEON2

Cole slaw, them things have to have Cole Slaw .

Fabner1 likes this.

3. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

A proper MI home made chili dog has:
    1) Kowalski or Dearborn natural casing hot dogs
    2) Bun from Browns Bun Bakery on W Vernor
    3) Red Pelican Mustard
    4) (You can start fudging it here.......) Your favorite chili/meat sauce. I like mine kind of dry, more Rhode Island style.
    5) Onions. The heck with the vidalias, I want a nice tangy yellow one.

IF you are a cheese on your coney heathen, make it an extra sharp Pinconning.
    But for the sake of all that is good and holy, save the catsup for the kids. Or your fries. Or fake blood for Halloween, but NOT on a hot dog...........

4. 82shortbox

82shortbox

Run a wood skewer stick lengthwise and spiral cut them, when you put on the accessories it will pack in around the meat better. Pull the stick out and stretch it out and fill it up.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  5. scubajay

scubajay

My version of the perfect homemade coney: (not all MI, but sometimes you just gotta import)
    1) Zimmerman natural casing hot dogs (Marine City)
    2) Spatz buns (Saginaw)
    3) Gator Hammock Swamp Mustard (Florida)
    4) National coney sauce (Roseville)
    5) Vidalia onion (Georgia)

And, the proper way to consume is with a fork & knife, slicing perfect bite-size chunks. After all, I enjoy a good coney but I'm not a barbarian.

Fabner1, junkman and ESOX like this.
  6. -Axiom-

-Axiom-

G&L's in Muskegon

7. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Interesting

jiggin is livin likes this.
  8. Oldgrandman

Oldgrandman Woods and Water Rat Premium Member

Not bad, Not the Kalamazoo Coney Islands but their cheddar hots go great after a morning of fishing. Scribs food is good after an evening of fishing, if they're still open!

9. bobberbill

bobberbill

Ft. Wayne.. Fish of Stroh's.. Don't know if they had dogs, but the fish was worth a travel..

Fabner1 likes this.
  10. Pinefarm2015

Pinefarm2015

Don’t forget Koegels too. They are great. If making at home, put them on the grill and try cooking them well, to where they split badly and get black edges.

Whatever one does, don’t use a cheap boiled hotdog. A worse sin than ketchup.

My first job was cooking at Onassis Coney Island. I’m not as much as a purist as I used to be, although I still prefer yellow mustard.

Cole slaw was mentioned above. I love cole slaw on a coney so much that, when I make them at home, I won’t do it unless I have cole slaw on it. It’s like a sandwich without miracle whip.

I haven’t tried avocado, but everything Puny Trout makes at camp is awesome, so I’m gonna assume it works.

When I worked at the coney place, we put melted cheese on them, as an option. It was fine.

My personal favorite was Zorba’s, on Fort (and I think Pennsylvania-it’s been 30 years), in Riverview. They put a good cheese on their coney as an option, when I was in the mood for it. Maybe it was a downriver thing. Although I rarely do cheese now. It interferes too much with the cole slaw, onions and mustard.

vsmorgantown, Oldgrandman and ESOX like this.
  11. zig

zig

I always wondered what it would be like if they switched from the dirty water dog to a good hot dog. Maybe it would be better? Or, maybe it just wouldn't be the same?

For years now I've been going to NYC 2-3 times a year. When I first started going I thought, "Ahh, I gotta try these carts with the dirty water dogs." Yuck. And I mean some of them were really YUCK. But, it works at Yesterdog, for some reason.

Oldgrandman and jiggin is livin like this.
  12. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin

I agree with all you said, except #1. Kogels with the skin. I can't say they are the best because I haven't ever tried Kowalski dogs, but everything else they make is good that I've had. Kogels are my favorite by far though over every other dog. Gotta try Kowalski's now I suppose.

A Coney dog without onions is just friggin wrong. Anyone who eats them would be slapped. I'm cool with cheese or without, but agree on extra sharp, might as well be the best and be Pinconning.

Sent from my E6810 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Fabner1 and vsmorgantown like this.
  13. sourdough44

sourdough44

One may need a pot nearby after eating a few of those dogs. For some reason those chili dogs can create havoc in one’s guts.

14. bogie

bogie

I can’t believe no one has mentioned Bills hotdog stand on Michigan Ave in Ypsi. Place has been packed since 1950.

When I make em at home (which is far more often than I should) I’m a fan of using #4 or #6 dogs. I won’t give anyone a hard time about toppings unless you’re a heathen who thinks catsup belongs on a dog. Even here, I’ll cut you some slack until your 7-8 years old.

PWood and jiggin is livin like this.
  15. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

For those that are interested in the Fort Wayne's Famous Coney Island info here is a link.

http://www.fortwaynesfamousconeyisland.com/

And here is the link to the Face Book page. https://www.facebook.com/FortWayneConeyIsland/

For added info the restaurant has been in operation at the same location for over 100 years and is still run by the same family.
    By the way I have no financial interest involved, but have known some of the family members for several years.:)