"Bugle trout" on the fly... Mulberry time

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing for Warm Water Fish' started by ramjet, Jul 14, 2020.

1. ramjet

ramjet

Friendly reminder, seems like a week or so after the cotton wood seeds start to slow, it's time to look for mulberries. I've been going out west in the summer, but didn't this year--almost forgot this "hatch".

Hopefully this photo will post ok.

The "mulberry stem" is a small cylinder I bored from a chartreuse flip flop using a chunk of broken rod sharpened with sandpaper. Worked great and I knew exactly when my fly got sucked in. Kept the "berry" part in the film with just the sighter above water a bit. Not too durable though so I'll work on that.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    [​IMG]

TK81, Mike, mfs686 and 4 others like this.
  2. Rasputin

Rasputin Premium Member

As I trout guy, I have to admit that I would rather catch suckers than nothing. Love catching them during steal season on various stone flies and eggs. I always wanted to start a new group based on TU, based on Suckers Forever. Need a name and a logo and I'm in. We could devastate the world wide demand for pickled herring in no time!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

TK81 and tincanary like this.

3. tincanary

tincanary

Yep. Where I am, you're guaranteed suckers most of the summer unless you know where the deeper cooler pools are located. I don't mind them. Like you said, better than nothing. Besides, when the water is still cold, they're pretty damn good smoked.

Rasputin likes this.
  4. mfs686

mfs686

Yeah it was a fun Mulberry hatch. Found about a dozen trees near water and a lot of stupid carp. Still boggles my mind how their smart switch turns off for a mulberry.

5. JohnHolliday

JohnHolliday

Carp on a fly rod are always a good time, and overlooked by most.

6. Rafter

Rafter

Never thought of catching carp/suckers on my fly rod. I'm going to give it a try for sure.