close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Buddy Heater sizes (Buddy vs. Big Buddy)?

Discussion in 'General Michigan Hunting' started by zuren, Oct 11, 2017.

1. zuren

zuren

After years of using small woodstoves to heat 2 permanent box blinds at a friends property, I'm looking to invest in a Buddy heater. Life has gotten busy and we no longer have the time to spend multiple weekends in the woods between crops off and the start of the season to prep firewood so we can have heat. I realize it is a 1st World problem, but when we are in the blinds, it's more about friends, cooking, and community than hunting. I prefer the wood heat but it requires work and I'm not so sure that our activity in the woods before firearm opener has reduced our luck in past years.

So I'm looking at the Mr. Heater Buddy line of heaters and looking for suggestions on what size would be best. The box blind I typically use is 8x8' and uninsulated. Since it is portable, I have other uses in mind:

- 2 man pop-up hunting blind
    - 3-4 man pop-up ice shanty
    - 8x8 or 6x8 box blind I hope to build on the back of my property

I would plan to use a 20# tank and adapter hose. I would just leave the tank at the blind and transport the heater and hose. Is it best to go with the Big Buddy or is the regular Buddy adequate?

Thanks!

2. Kennybks

Kennybks

I'd recommend the Big Buddy for what you're planning. Be sure to buy the filter as well. You'll love it in late season or really nasty weather.

3. sparky18181

sparky18181

I have three buddy heaters and I find them more than adequate even in the coldest of conditions. 20lb tank is definitely the way to go.

4. jackbob42

jackbob42

I've got both and prefer the big buddy for 2 reasons.....
    #1 is it's all the heat I need.
    #2 is I like the quick-connect hose much better.

5. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

I have the hunting buddy I love it. I'd like the big buddy but to me it's to big to me.

6. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

7. june bugger

june bugger

get the buddy heater, less weight and less propane use and enough heat when your out of the wind

8. old graybeard

old graybeard

I love my Big Buddy on a 20lb tank

brushbuster likes this.
  9. grapestomper

grapestomper

we use the buddy heaters. our blinds are 5 x 7. with just the roof insulated. They work fine.

10. miruss

miruss

If you want something you don't have to worry about and put out good heat i use this in my 5x6 and hunt in flannel shirts never needed more https://misportsman.s3.amazonaws.com/2013/12/295547_19889535a86dc54c1f392a8a750930f9.jpg

11. Bucman

Bucman

I have both. When it’s real cold and windy the B.B. is the one for sure. It heats a dbl bull when it’s below zero and windy. We’ve froze are azz with the buddy a couple times in those conditions.

12. Sharkbait11

Sharkbait11

cant go wrong with either choice my buddy heater is by far one of the best spend $$$ for the job it does

13. Baybum

Baybum

Better to have the power and not need it, then to need the power and not have it. Rarely use it past a 2 setting, especially with fan running, but when you need it you will be happy to see the second elements warm glow.

14. onenationhere

onenationhere

I have both but use the smaller buddy heater more, way more. Easier to move around and it will heat a small area fine. How hot do you want it in there lol.