BS ticket!!! worth fighting?

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by Adam Peterson, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Adam Peterson

Adam Peterson

So we hunted out in presque isle off of the old lighthouse in the layout boat. Was a very slow morning and we had 2 scoters, 1 red, one bill, and one buffie by 9:00. We only had three guys today so there was two in the layout and one in the tender. After not shooting for at least 2 hours we decided to go in. When we get to the launch the CO is there ans tries his hardest to give us several tickets it seemed.
    Checked the guns, shells, everything in tender boat, license. After all that checks out he says "how many of those birds were taken illegally" of course we say none. Then he pulles out the hunting guide and makes me read bullet seven which talks about rallying birds. He then asks again so do you want to change your answer to the pervious question. We again say none were taken illegally. So he replies "well im giving you, you, and you a ticket for rallying.
    Apparently it must be illegal to run from the shore to swap out guys and pick up dead or cripple ducks. The only running we were really doing was around one of the points and into this bay to see if birds were landing there so we could setup on them in the moring. I sware on my life we didnt shoot one duck that was so called rallyed by the tender boat.
    So what do you guys think. Should we take this to court and fight it or what?

If anyone is hunting PI county in the near future watch out!!!

2. duckingaround

duckingaround

As BS as it sounds that it is, sometimes it's just easier to pay the nice man and not waste anymore of your time (missed work, missed hunting, etc) for a case you may or may not win(your word against his).

Best case is he doesn't show up but since there is 3 of you he most likely would (saying all three are fighting it).

Sucks, but thats my take on it.

3. Gander Club

Gander Club

Go ahead and pay the ticket...The misdemeanor on your record will be just the ticket to deny you a cpl if you ever try to get one!

PS If you were shooting crips from a moving boat, you WERE rallying.

4. charcoal300zxtt

charcoal300zxtt

Fight it! If you dont win in court you still have to pay it anyway so i say go for it.

5. Shiawassee_Kid

Shiawassee_Kid

this sentence right here does not help your case. few key words in there from you which leads me to believe this is exactly what the ticket was for.

i'm not judging but i was on your side til i read the wording of that sentence.

6. Adam Peterson

Adam Peterson

Thought about that, but apparently this is a misdeminor and not even sure how much this is going be! Plus I have an absolute clean record so I don't need that BS on there!

7. Adam Peterson

Adam Peterson

No cripples were shot from the boat! Like I said there wasn't one duck that was shot from "rallying".

8. Dead Bird

Dead Bird Mod

well... paying the tickets is the easiest.... but if you were wrongfully ticketed than yes go to court... if possible I would contact the office and see if you can talk with the CO... scouting while hunting is not illegal... the question is was your tender under power when any of the birds were taken... that may have lead him to give the tickets... I don't think he was trying to give you several tickets just because he checked your guns and equip... that is his job... talk with him and see if fully understood what you were doing...

9. rentalrider

rentalrider

10. Adam Peterson

Adam Peterson

4/5 of the ducks were shot at first light when I was sitting in the boat anchored off one of the points. The last duck the buffie came in when I was in the layout and was the only shot I took while in there!

11. lastflighttaxidermy

lastflighttaxidermy

ive always wondered this same scenerio. if you never shot while motoring your fine and its up to you if you want to take the time to fight it. dont know what id do. i always check where birds go when we are hunting to move for the next day. to me thats good hunting practice. if your truthful in your statement it does suck, big time. but i dont have an answer for you.

12. JBooth

JBooth

Sounds like the old guy up there? Did you catch his name by chance? We ran into a younger CO over the summer that was great to have around.

13. fsamie1

fsamie1 Premium Member

7th bullet: By driving, rallying or chasing birds with any motorized conveyance or any sailboat to put them in the range of hunters.
    [/COLOR]
    I would fight it unless he were actually doing it and he saw you from boat launch doing it. I have never encounter a CO going out of his way trying to give me a ticket. Once we came back after PM hunt and he gave us a warning for not having navigation light. I got a warning another time for not having a life jacket. I do not think he can give you a ticket just guessing what have done. He should have a solid evidence of you doing something illegal. During any layout shooting, any other boat running around is doing that since he makes birds fly around and go to somebody's spread. My guess is he saw you or will say in court that he saw you from shore doing it. Did he give a ticket to others for the same reason?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
  14. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

There's a difference between shooting ducks from a moving boat and rallying birds.

Rallying will be very hard to prove. I would say fight it - make him prove intent.

We hunt a lake - hunt a point. After the shooting starts, the ducks land in the middle of the lake. The launch is on the opposite side. So is where we stay. So when we leave people behind on the point, and buzz to the launch to get something or to the lodge to get lunch, are we rallying? Are all the boaters that come out on nice days and run around rallying?

I'm pretty sure the rules say you cannot use a motor boat under power to put birds in range, but I've jumped birds with the boat that flew across the lake, landed in a bay, and then an hour later came out of the bay and worked the decoys. Rallying?

This is really, really gray. I would talk to him, and if it's not handled well, take it to court.

15. ahartz

ahartz

Best advice yet...I agree.....