close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Brush Hogged Fields

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by michiganoutdoorsman, Oct 11, 2017.

1. michiganoutdoorsman

michiganoutdoorsman

As a normal farming practice as of late, farmers are combining fields which is always easy to hide in. Now, it seems like as soon as they harvest, they're brush hogging the fields down to nothing within a day or even hours after. How the heck are you guys effectively hiding in them? We can't dig down in these fields either. We try to play the contour of the land and use certain ditch lines or weed lines but sometimes that's hard to find. Ducks come right in but geese are a little more weary. Look like a pile of husks and corn stalks got left in the field? Any advice is appreciated.

2. duckaddict

duckaddict

See my post 10 min ago. I wish I could get permission in a field.

3. adam bomb

adam bomb

Low profile blinds help IMO. Everyone wants to buy those high rise condos to hunt out of because they're so comfy. But the problem is that they stick out like a turd in a punch bowl.

Your best bet is to keep the hunter numbers low, a couple low profile blinds close together. Brush the he'll out of them, fill up the area in between them and taper out around them to bust up the profiles and eliminate shadows.

Outside of that you're looking at a panel blind type hide, a fencerow, a weed patch or digging in, which you already stated you can't do.

Also hunting a day with wind and setting up for a cross shot instead of strait on is also a good idea. That way the eyes are on the decoys and not picking out blinds in the middle of the decoys as they approach

michiganoutdoorsman likes this.
  4. John Singer

John Singer

Most farmers that I know will allow the digging of shallow "ranger graves" as long as you fill them back in after the hunt.

They generally do not want you leaving "tank traps" left in their fields.

5. michiganoutdoorsman

michiganoutdoorsman

Right after I posted this I devised a pretty solid plan.There's a ditch that runs behind one of the barns out there. The geese are sitting like 60-80 yards away so I think we'll just sit in there and the geese *hopefully* won't know what hit em. Thanks for the advice Adam!

6. adam bomb

adam bomb

I never understood why farmers are so touchy about a shallow hole in the field if you fill it back in or a shallow rut in their field from driving out. Tractor tires leave a hell of a lot worse rut. Way deeper and much wider. Especially in cases where they're gonna chisel the field later on anyhow. I can see not driving in if they're gonna no till but in my neighborhood that's pretty rare.

7. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

There ya go! I love knocking em down from the ditches. If you are worried about getting busted by the birds from above, use those panels up close to the ditch if the cover there is tall.

When it comes to mowed fields I always talk to the land owner about digging down and make it very clear that it will be filled back in. Always ask before you dig. Some guys are touchy about it.

Low cover is about the only time I will pile decoys around the blinds. That helps hiding the blinds, just make sure you stubble them out well. Silhouettes are great around the blinds. Also look for a low spot or dip in the field. But most of the time we will set up by a ditch, fence row, pivot.

8. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Power hunters, and a rake for stubble. Note difference in the Power Hunter and my buddy's condo blind in this picture. Still limited out that night and had geese walking in the spread afterwards.

10-5 005.jpg

IMAG0942.jpg

Close enough for the 20 on this hunt.

IMAG0943.jpg

plugger likes this.
  9. DEDGOOSE

DEDGOOSE

Honestly our birds will not land in a combined field or snapped field unless it's been mowed or disced once. I scout nearly every day for a couple a hours daily and in 17 years cannot recall one in a combined field that hasn't been taken down. Only times are if alfalfa or dirt borders and they walk in.

I wait on fields to be mowed. Easiest stubbling ever. Pack the straps get away from setup with lawn rakes and get corn to rough in hard edges.

michiganoutdoorsman likes this.
  10. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Something like this? Easiest field to hide in ever. 11-16-09 003.jpg

11. michiganoutdoorsman

michiganoutdoorsman

Our honey hole filled back up with the rain we got in the last week and is loaded with birds. The ole boy is ready to go tomorrow morning! He was just itching to have me let him out of the car and get at the birds. No dealing with brush hogged corn, tomorrow at least. ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1507903324.586922.jpg