browning superposed 20ga. shotgun

Discussion in 'Firearm Identification/Value' started by birdhntr, Mar 23, 2014.

1. birdhntr

birdhntr

This gun belonged to my grandfather and was used to quail hunt and is in good condition,I'm would like to know the value of this gun before I take it to the woods.Don't know the year but the s.n. is 00040476v6

2. 9mm Hi-Power

9mm Hi-Power Premium Member

Twenty gauge Superposed shotguns are very desirable and command a price quite a bit in excess of similar 12 ga. Superposeds. Condition is everything and some photos would go a long way in helping to determine the market value of the gun. Also affecting the price is barrel length, choke, long tang/short tang etc.

I have a copy of Schwing's The Browning Superposed and the serial # you posted seems odd especially with the three zeros. Browning serial #s can be a bit confusing after they began incorporating an alphanumeric code in them. Your gun having a serial # of 40476V6 makes more sense and indicates it was most likely built in 1966. Be glad it wasn't built 1967 - 1972. Hope this helps.

Hoppe's no. 10

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014

3. Gil Martin

Gil Martin

You have a very nice shotgun. My recommendation would be to use it and take care of it because of the sentimental value it holds. Just a side note, it is not a good idea to post complete firearm serial numbers online. The better method would be to "x" out the last few digits. All the best...
    Gil

4. 9mm Hi-Power

This warning has been bandied about here and on other forums. I guess the suspicion is if some sort of "bad guy/bad girl" gets a hold of your firearm's serial # they will then claim that it was stolen from them. That would be quite a stretch and I've never heard of it happening. One of such a mind could just as easy go to a gun show, surreptitiously copy down a serial # and later claim to that it was stolen from them - but they of course would have to prove prior ownership and produce a stolen gun report which they obviously wouldn't be able to do and thus be faced with a false crime/police report.

On the S & W forum (of the many firearm forums I frequent posters on this one are the most serious and most knowledgeable when it comes to their firearms) the complete serial # is more often than not posted. But I guess there's no advantage to posting the complete serial # except in the case of the OP the "V6" indicated the year the shotgun left the factory which is what he was curious about. Hope this helps.

Hoppe's no. 10

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  5. Cigar

Cigar

Nice gun. I have always wanted one. I remember when they sold for around $350 new. I was on a business trip a few years ago and stopped in a GS and they had one in a custom case with both 20 and 28 ga barrels for $2500. Still kick myself for not buying it.

6. birdhntr

birdhntr

thanks for the info,I also have all the paperwork,registration card and receipt.I wish I could post a picture,but I am just learning how to use the computer.there is engraving on it and says browning lightning on it,gold trigger and light chaffing on the wood from horseback hunting,hardly noticeable.

7. 9mm Hi-Power

The "Lightning" was Browning's/FN's lighter version of the Superposed and it was produced in both 20 and 12 gauge. To Browning's credit the butt stock wasn't just hollowed out to provide a lighter gun but rather the entire gun was made lighter - butt stock, barrels etc. so as to maintain the gun's dynamic handling and balance.

What is the length of the barrels and how are they choked? I suspect 28" and M/F. Superposed's are known for being tightly choked and often - by measuring the barrels/constriction with a dial indicator - beyond what the choke markings suggest. If you're planning on using the gun for up close shooting - skeet, grouse, woodcock, quail - it might pay to have the barrels and choke constriction checked out by someone who knows what they're doing (as opposed to someone just sticking a dime in the muzzle).

Should you ever choose to have the barrels opened up I strongly suggest Art's Guns in Hillsboro, MO - the premier place in the country for work on Browning shotguns. They will not only open the chokes but so stamp the new and proper Browning choke marks on the shotgun's monobloc.

Hoppe's no.10

8. birdhntr

birdhntr

9mm highpower thankyou for the help,I just measured the barrel,26.5 inches also noticed that the safety switch can move left to right for barrel selection,are they all like this.I have a access to measuring tools,going to see what the i.d. is tonight.

9. 9mm Hi-Power

Break open the gun and on the left side of the receiver/monobloc there will be two sets of markings - one set for the upper barrel and one set for the lower barrel. Each set will be some sort of combination of stars and dashes (*/ -). Let me know what they are for each barrel and I'll tell you how the gun is choked.

Hoppe's no. 10

10. birdhntr

birdhntr

two stars with 3 dashes for both barrels?

11. 9mm Hi-Power

Well you've got me there. I can't find any reference to Browning choke designations per your post.

* Full Choke
    *- Improved Modified
    ** Modified
    **- Improved Cylinder
    **$ Skeet
    *** Cylinder

The above are Browning's choke markings for the Superposed. Is it possible for you to post a photo?

Hoppe's no. 10

12. birdhntr

birdhntr

Just wiped the oil off it and it looks to be the markings for skeet,**$.This makes sense for the quail hunting grandpa used it for and should work well for grouse,and woodcock hunting.also says special steel 2 3/4 to 3 inch shells does this mean you can shoot steel shot?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  13. 9mm Hi-Power

A 20 ga. Superposed shotgun choked skeet/skeet would in my opinion make a great grouse and woodcock gun. A good late season combo for grouse would be 1 oz. of 7 1/2s' in the lower barrel and 1 oz. of #6s in the upper. Do not shoot steel through it even with those open chokes - you might end up with a bulged barrel and I can't imagine anything would ever be gained by shooting 3" shells in either barrel although it certainly wouldn't harm the gun. The "Special Steel" marking evidently refers to the steel used in making the barrels and as near as as I can determine first appeared on Superposed barrels in the early 1960s. I don't think steel shot was introduced until the mid to late 1970s so Browning's "Special Steel" marking did not refer to the use of steel shot. In any event don't use it in your Super.

Still anxiously waiting for some photos.

Hoppe's no.10

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  14. birdhntr

birdhntr

Not to good with computers but I'll try to post some pics tonight

15. birdhntr

birdhntr

Bump!
    Here's some pictures.Planning on taking it out this weekend for grouse and woodcock.seeing how I have my finest steady GSP I will bring a gun to match.I am still however trying to get used to the lag time between shots.lol.20 years and I have only used one gun which is my benelli.

Attached Files:

zimmzala and ruger 454 like this.