close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

BROWNING BXD

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by rcleofly, Aug 2, 2016.

1. John Singer

John Singer

If you do not want to have another season like the one you had a while back, these are the shells to purchase right now:

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/estate-dove-and-target-loads-12ga-2-3-4-1-1-8oz.html

Today is the last day of the sale. Two cases of 12 gauge target loads for $50/case with free shipping.

After you purchase them, spend some time at your local gun club shooting either skeet or sporting clays. This will do more to improve your shooting this fall than BXD, Blind Side, Black Cloud, or any other BS magic shot shell or choke tube that any manufacturers tell you will help you shoot better.

duckbuster2 and jwinks like this.
  2. John Singer

John Singer

This deal at Rogers has been extended until 24, July.

3. FowlFolder

FowlFolder

It was mental so i had to try and buy some confidence and it worked i will run some xpert dont get me wrong but i have also shot enough to know that you can buy a few yards and a nice pattern and i like to shoot so i run alittle of both to keep cost realstic

4. John Singer

John Singer

I do agree that wingshooting is a mental exercise/skill. As such, realize that you cannot purchase skill. The only way to acquire such skill is through practice. Only through practice can one develop the eye/mind/body coordination and confidence needed to consistently hit moving targets at various angles and ranges.

Manufacturers relying on marketing hype and "skill can be purchased" mentality to sell boutique shotgun shells and magic choke tubes.

"Buying" a few yards and a nice pattern means nothing if you cannot place that pattern on a target.

Remember the secret to success is: "There is no secret to success."

5. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

The ratta-tat-tat boys aren't dropping many ducks.
    When you are out in the marsh and you hear single pop's every so often, that dude is stacking them.

Not practicing pre-season is not smart.

There are 4 or 5 traps at Freeland Sportsman's club's 5 stand that intentionally mimic duck shots. Well worth the practice.

Duck-Hunter and John Singer like this.
  6. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

The age old debate of sales gimmicks and ammo. If you shoot birds like you are supposed to(working the decoy spread) you won't need high dollar sales gimmick ammo. Yes, it might be advanced and give you a better pattern. Nothing a aftermarket choke tube and $11 box of ammo can't knock em stone dead. Practice in the off season helps tremendously also

7. FowlFolder

FowlFolder

Gimic or not 17 bbs at 55 yards in killing points of mallard target no wing busters were counted ....these are on sale and 50 buck rebate from rogers sporting goods brings cost to 10.90 a box and thats cheaper than winchester super x garbage.....serious cut one open once looks awful...ill let you know how i do this year

8. Bigeejakes

Bigeejakes

I love this place, visit every thing in in the area.

9. FowlFolder

FowlFolder

Well my ratta tat boys shoot between 200 and 400 divers and puds each year depending on how good of a migration we have ......not gonna do that with a pop here and there when 100 reds come in to the coys

10. BFG

BFG

Ammo is the least expensive part of the hunt. Shoot that with which your are most comfortable. I used to shoot a ton of BC with tremendous lethality, but it burned so dirty that it virtually ruined all three of my firearms. I've shot 3.5" Heavy Metal at snow geese up 50 and watched them crumble to the Earth. I've shot the same load at honkers at 30 on the swing away and never drew a feather. I've killed hundreds upon hundreds of divers out of the layout boat with Kent TM #5's while at the same time my buddies were killing the same with Silver box Winchesters for a third of the price.

At some point one begins to realize that wingshooting has far less to do with the load and more to do with the shooter than anything else. Sure, I used to be a part of the Hold My Beer and Watch This crowd, but 99% of the time those three volleys didn't accomplish anything, even IF I hit that which I was aiming. To be clear, a quality firearm and reasonably decent ammo is required, but one does not need what some feel is necessary to effectively harvest waterfowl.

I hate wounding birds and not recovering them. The year that I purchased the Patternmaster and Super X 2, I lost a lot of cripples. Long story short, it changed the way that I hunt waterfowl, and I think as one progresses such change becomes natural. I used to take a lot of birds at first light, often not knowing exactly at what I was shooting, but knowing all too well that game laws offer one a "dark gimme" in most States. Poor form on my part...as one of the most basic rules of hunter safety is to identify your target.

My son gets frustrated now when I don't call the shot on passing birds. Last season I let him test the waters on his own and call his own shot for a morning off a Lake Erie shoreline. The result? 1.5 boxes of shells and one bufflehead for him, and two more that got away from us. We tried our best to recover those birds but eventually had to give up on both. For sure they died. I reduced those two birds to our possession. It wouldn't have made a difference if he was shooting a more expensive load that day. The shots he was taking were beyond what his 20 gauge could handle.

To come full circle, remember that a lot of hype is just that...hype. However; my highest harvest years were shooting BC, but those were also the years that I hunted the most, and to think about it, practice does tend to make one better.

Good discussion, even if it does span a 12 month period....

11. FowlFolder

FowlFolder

Never did a great lake diver hunt thats gotta be tricky call on birds with all that space

12. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

I'm looking for 1 shell for everything.

3.5" Dunn's exclusive Federal Blue box 3.5" 1's in an IM factory choke, Browning BPS stalker, 26" barrel. Murder on geese and mallards.

More ducks, especially smaller ones, and fewer large geese:
    3.5" Fiocchi 2's and a factory mod choke, same gun.

Looking at the BXD in 20 as they load a full one ounce of 2's. My favorite load in my 20 is the Federal red box 1 ounce 2's, but those are up to $149 a case and with a rebate I can get the BXD much cheaper. With my set-up I'm more than willing to carry the 20 on mallards and even pass shot some heavy local geese with it last year when they showed up unexpected.

13. BFG

BFG

It can be tricky. The spot(s) I hunt are totally dependent upon the wind direction. Mild winter I may never step foot out there. Stormy fall/early winter and I might go through a case of shells. Some years good...some years, well...whatever. :)