close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

BROWNING BXD

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by rcleofly, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Remington themselves hyped hyper steel or whatever as needing 6" less lead at 40 yards. Most people can't tell 35-50 yards close enough to make 6" of lead, give or take, an issue at all.

I hunted last year with five extremely qualified goose hunters. We had a single come over that we passed on. I asked everybody their guess on range and we had a 20 yard spread. Some of these people have killed 1000's of birds. I found that interesting (my estimate was close enough and had I been solo I'd dumped that goose, but I never miss the shots I don't take!)

2. fowlpursuit

fowlpursuit

I'm with ya on that one.
    I take my range finder to the local managed areas and range overhead birds.. always interesting to to hear everyone's guesstimates and are usually way off. Which is why I alway laugh whe I here phrases like " I got this cool $120 choke and it stones birds dead at 80 yards"
    I plan on getting a radar gun as well. Then I can act as a forward observer calling out range and speed as they come over and my partner can calculate needed forward allowance before unleashing a triple tap of 10ga AAA

3. FowlFolder

FowlFolder

I understand the argument for cheap shells shooting just as good as 30$ a box shells and that's great I have shot them all. From xpert to tungsten T coyote loads for geese hevi metal and blackcloud blindside and everything in between. Just looking at the wad cup for the browning bxd I'm am sold. these are going in the bag this season. You can argue price but you can't argue facts. The later the load leaves the cup the tighter the pattern. The tighter the pattern moving down range creates more draft and results in more energy. More energy down range means more or "extended distance" and killing penetration at a greater distance. I am by no means a sky blaster but when I have my 3rd shot left and the ducks are on there way out or up after the initial volley I'm taking the shot and with this shell I feel like it's going to be a kill shot not just a pot shot.... that's my 2 cents

4. FowlFolder

FowlFolder

One more thing blackcloud close range are a devastating first shell in my sx3 with improved mod Carlson waterfowl choke. Patterns a 40inch circle of death at 35 yrds...rounds 2 and 3 are heavy hitters... this year heavys will be bxds 3.5 # 2s

5. fowlpursuit

fowlpursuit

I agree.. BXDs are going to the pattern board this summer.. I suspect they'll preform well

6. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

I looked that the BXD and, for me, it would likely hurt my shooting. It seem to pattern really tight. I liked the idea of the Black Clouds close range, but, the smallest shot size it comes in is #3. I would prefer #5 but would try #4 if they made it. I guess for the time being I will stick with the Sporting Ammo II shells that I am using now. I shoot #5 1 1/8OZ at 1700FPS out of a skeet choke.

7. FowlFolder

FowlFolder

My issue is last year we had way more geese than previous years making arrant passes sometimes even cupping right in to our spreads and even with goose loads easily accessible jacking in different shells is a pain I'm looking for 1 shell for everything.... downside of that is too last year we had a record amount of teal hit us....thousands of them in a 3 day period. But the likelihood of that occurring again I imagine are slim.... I just want to be able to shoot anything at any time. I think these will do the trick.

8. AaronJohn

AaronJohn

WIZ.jpg
    I haven't come across any steel since I started using this metal detector. what a great investment...only $25 and it finds it all with a simple swipe.

Comes in great handy when making mass amounts of goose jerky.

9. jwinks

jwinks

Have you tested to see how small of shot it will find? Like will it find a single #4 pellet?

10. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

I have a Wizard. Very Slow. You have to scan every piece of meat with a hole in it. Slowly,and carefully. Did I mention, Slowly?

11. AaronJohn

AaronJohn

Have not, I only used it with BB and 2s steel. and its not THAT slow. It is worth it when i have a flat pan on slim jerky and i swipe over it quick.

12. FowlFolder

FowlFolder

I know it's old news but I finally shot some 3.5 bxd #2s and wow are they wicked....Beach ball of death at 40 yards draw back is kick like a mule even out of my auto so shooting 3 in a row is out but she'll 2 and 3 maybe ....very impressed pattern them against 3.5 hypersonic and it wasn't even close for pattern density. So I recommend bxd I know they are going in my box. Peace out its almost duck season

13. craigrh13

craigrh13

3" on sale at Macks for $109/ case after rebate.

Hypersonic are absolute garbage. Have anything else to compare them to?

jwinks likes this.
  14. FowlFolder

FowlFolder

I have shot pretty much all the expensive stuff only because i had a really bad season awhile back where suddenly i couldnt hit a barn if it would have flown by.......black cloud is about the same. Blindside were decent but i think bbs crawled out of the cuts in the side of wad. My favorite are the bs close range out of my carlson creamator but it only takes a few weeks till the ducks start working farther out and the slow speed and pure cutter load becomes less apealing... loved heavy metal first year never had a cripple then last year water was low by us and we lost a ton of ducks so did shell change or was it poor shooting? Shoot what you like.. like i said im dreaming of having 1 shell in my box and being able to shoot any thing that flys by effectivly

15. FowlFolder

FowlFolder

Bs should be bc