close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

BROWNING BXD

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by rcleofly, Aug 2, 2016.

1. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

I shoot, they fall. The end. I will likely "retire" the Patternmaster when I sell the guns that use it. Then I will have to start over with a new gun. ALL that work again, finding what works.

2. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

Their ammo is some of the cleanest ammo I have ever used. Sure wish I could have bought them when they were up for sale but I could not work things out.

3. craigrh13

craigrh13

Oh I hear you. I'm not doubting you kill birds. I think you would be surprised if you put it on paper against the right choke. You would really be killing them then.

4. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

It throws a REALLY wide pattern. It would be useless beyond 30 yards or so, BUT, I don't shoot beyond 30, most shots inside 25, even 20, so it's what I am looking for.

5. craigrh13

craigrh13

I just picked up a case from them for my 10. It patterned very good. I've shot their old Amani from the previous owner. It was good stuff.

DecoySlayer likes this.
  6. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

I am hoping they will be at Pointe Mouillee again, but I have yet to hear from them.

7. John Singer

John Singer

They have a great product line. I hope the new owners keep it going.

8. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

So far they are.

9. fowlpursuit

fowlpursuit

I'm late to the party but here's what I think of the BXD's ( without patterning them yet)
    They took black clouds flight control wad concept and improved it by packing it with round pellets. Everyone knows a perfect sphere flies truest so eliminating the goofy " flight stopper" pellets is great.
    I also find the 3" shell offering 1 1/2oz load at 1450 fps..
    I acquiring box soon to do some testing.
    I do fear that like the flight control I will experience some 'slinging' where the the wad tips and realeases in vertical or horizontal pattern .
    Time will tell

10. craigrh13

craigrh13

I understand the whole concept that truly round pellets fly petter but BCpatterns very tight and when tested in ballistic gelatin out penetrated every round out there. Hypersonics penetrated the least. It was on another site.

11. fowlpursuit

fowlpursuit

I'm predicting that the BXD loads pattern just as tight as black cloud. (And I do like the black cloud) I said 2 years ago I wish they'd fill the wad with regular round pellets. Now it's happened.
    Hypersonics a joke. I bought into the hype bought a box hurt my shoulder wounded a few ducks . Patterned the remaining rounds and almost threw up. By far and away the most pathetic pattern I've every seen.
    I'm no scientist but I've read that the faster you start a steel pellet it slows down just as quickly.. in the interest of hypersonics by 40 yards it has slowed to the velocity of a standard 1450fps round.
    I lack the equipment to test this but the concept seems to make sense based on the research I've done

12. John Singer

John Singer

That statement is not true. While it is true that a spherical projectile will decelerate more quickly the greater its initial velocity, all other things being equal, an object with a greater initial velocity is still moving at a higher speed at distance than an object with a lesser initial velocity.

In other words, a #2 steel pellet with a muzzle velocity of 1700 fps is moving faster at 40 yards than a #2 steel pellet with a muzzle velocity of 1450 fps. But because of what is stated above, at 40 yards, that faster pellet is not moving 250 fps faster.

BTW: Most of these specialty shot shell ammo lines (Black Cloud, Hypersonic, Blind Side, BXD, etc) are a joke. They are designed to sell to the ignorant and the manufacturers along with their share holders are laughing...all the way to the bank.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    duckbuster2 likes this.
  13. craigrh13

craigrh13

While I mostly agree with this. Loads like black cloud have proven to shoot tighter and penetrate more. I don't shoot them but I seen a comparison of all loads when shotninto ballistic gelatin and BC out performed all by a fairly large margin. So some of those loads do perform like they claim.

14. fowlpursuit

fowlpursuit

ill bet this is do to the wad holding the shot longer. Thus being a larger mass doesn't shed velocity as fast. Hits the target faster=better penetration.
    Now we need someone to make a poly packed non tox load similar to long beard

15. craigrh13

craigrh13

That and the design of the shot. It's designed to just tear **** up. Hence why so many people complain about shot up birds with it.