close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

BROWNING BXD

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by rcleofly, Aug 2, 2016.

1. rcleofly

rcleofly

I'm going to pick up a box of Browning BXD 12ga. 3-1/2" 1-1/2oz BB loads box says 1500fps. As soon as I can I'm going to pattern them out of my Remington Versamax 28" barrel using Carlson Ext. mid and long range waterfowl chokes.

Curious if anyone else has pattern them yet? Or if anyone plans on using them?

I'll share my results but the true test won't come until I'm in a layout missing geese lmao.

2. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

I know my Federal Blue Box 1 9/16 ounce 1's through a BPS factory mod will dust any duck or goose I care to reach, and if I want them extra dead I switch to improved modified. No longer being made, I hope the Fiocchi loads in the same recipe will do as well. Having seen what the Fiocchi's in 2's can do to ducks, I picked up a case, and they worked just as well for me, including a sweet double on 35 yard 13# geese that made two lovely thumps in the field.

Nice part is the above loads can be had for $15.50 a box by the case. Browning better have something special for what they charge.

3. Pat P

Pat P

Federal stopped making the blue box?

4. craigrh13

craigrh13

Why waste your money on buying the name? It's just Winchester ammo with Brownings name on it...

5. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Dunn's stopped carrying them in 1's in that loading. Sorry, should have been more clear.

Pat P likes this.
  6. rcleofly

rcleofly

Well I want to cabelas yesterday and they didn't have the BXD load I was after.

Yes they are made by Winchester. But, from what I understand the wad and the plated shot were specifically made for the BXD and aren't used in any Winchester load. Now it may just be a different color wad. lol, you never really know with all the sales hype. I just figured it would be fun to try them out at the patterning board.

I'm a bit surprised at the price. Price is very close to that of Heavy Metal and Black clouds. Better be a nice load when your asking that much $$$.

7. John Singer

John Singer

If you are looking for steel shot that is a real value and a good price, try Rio Blue Steel. I have been using the 2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz #2. It patterns as well as my best custom reloads and hits birds hard.

Cabela's carries it and often puts it on sale.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/ammunition/shotgun-ammunition|/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/104567580/rio-bluesteel-8482-shotgun-shells-150-per-case/707002.uts?destination=/catalog/browse/shotgun-ammunition/_/N-1100191/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104567580

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  8. hammerdown

hammerdown

i personally like 1oz and 9/16ths in kent 3 1/2 bb and black cloud 3 1/2 1/2 oz bbb goose killing mother load out of mt sbe 2 with kicks

9. rcleofly

rcleofly

Unless I find some amazing load while I play around. In my hunting bag I have Heavy Metal 3-1/2" 1-1/2oz BB and #2s for ducks and geese this season.

johntom1990 likes this.
  10. John Singer

John Singer

I have never had to use a 3 1/2" shell to kill a goose.

Duck-Hunter and wavie like this.
  11. hammerdown

hammerdown

so you gun does not shoot 3 1/2 then

12. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

Can I refer some of you to my dentist? He needs the business, and gives steak pkgs for referrals.
    1.5+ oz of steel is bad molar medicine. Great crown breakers for sure.

13. wavie

wavie

John, you sound like my father. He has no problems taking geese with 2 3/4 shells with his 20 ga.

14. rcleofly

rcleofly

If you've ever shot 3-1/2" loads out of a Versamax you'd use them. I wouldn't do it out of my 870. After a few shots it was just to much. My Versamax fits me really nice and handles the big loads very well.

My theory on 3-1/2" loads is this, they have more shot. It's that simple. More pellets going down range per shot. So, if you can shoot them as I can without getting the crap beat out of you, then do it.

Can argue all you want, cut open a 3" and a 3-1/2" and count the pellets. I'm not the worlds greatest waterfowl hunter. I get excited and miss all the time. Sometimes I know right before I pull the trigger I'm missing, lol. I'm sure anyone who has ever spent anytime shooting trap or skeet knows what I'm talking about. I'll miss no matter what load I use. It's going to happen.

What I'm saying is in no way shape or form are you going to convince me that if you use a 3" BB 1500fps heavy metal it is going to magically have some kind of advantage over a 3-1/2" 1500fps BB heavy metal. Unless it hurts and you flinch. Unless for some reason it blows your pattern, every gun and choke is different so that is a possibility. But, not in my case at all.

Highball28 likes this.
  15. Bigeejakes

Bigeejakes

To use your own logic... If you miss a bird it's your own fault (mine too). If I have a lethal pattern at that distance (usually 90+ pellets in a 30" circle) with 2 3/4" ... It doesn't matter whether you start with 120, or 500 pellets... That bird is dead... So when you're using shells that cost more (3 1/2") you're just wasting money.

Pattern your gun, get ahold of Tom rosters lethality table and quit spending money on fancy loads / chokes. Dead is dead, I don't need it deader.

John Singer likes this.