Browning A-Bolt.300 Win. Mag.

Discussion in 'Firearm Identification/Value' started by ybone, Apr 20, 2012.

1. ybone

ybone

Left handed, stainless barrel, synthetic stock, scope. good to very good cond. less than 300 rds through it.

i would like a rough estimate before i give a lot of details.

thanks guys and gals

scott

2. malainse

malainse Staff Member Super Mod Mods

"scope" That does not tell us much ? Could be a $9.99 Tasco or a 2K Swarovski ?

3. 9mm Hi-Power

9mm Hi-Power Premium Member

As a "general rule" usually if you sell a used rifle like this to a gun shop and assuming the rifle is still in pretty good shape they will probably offer you 50% of the price of their selling price of the same rifle new. If you are trading it in on another new gun from the same shop they'll probably offer you about 55% of the price of a new - same brand - rifle. If you're selling the rifle directly to the end user expect about 60% of the price of a new rifle - again same brand, similar cartridge etc.

Used/second hand scopes drop in value even more so than the rifle perhaps with the exception of something like a Malainse posted - a really, as in really, high end scope like a Swarovski.

Firearms drop dramatically in value once you walk out the door with one.

Not sure this is what you want to hear but I think my admittedly anecdotal figures are pretty much "ballpark."

My "Bluebook of Gun Values" gives the value of a Browning A-Bolt Stainless Hunter in 98% condition as $430.00, 95% $350.00.

Hoppe's no.10

4. kingfisher 11

kingfisher 11

is this a SS stalker with a boss?

5. Hammer62

Hammer62

I got one, Whitetails Unlimeted edition with a Simmons 3x9 I wouldnt sell it for under $1200

6. buckpole

buckpole

I recently took my Browning A-bolt stalker .300 winmag to Gander Mountain in Taylor. I wanted to have it appraised and possibly trade/sell it. I luckily didn’t need the money because they offered me $450. This rifle is in great condition and has a Leopold VX-3 4.5-14 X 40mm. They told me that any gun they sell they have to make 40% on. I laughed and told them anytime they get a Browning with a Leupold on it they want to sell for under $800 to call me. They did tell me something interesting though, they said the area in which you sell the gun greatly dictates the value. That was put to the test. Out of curiosity I went to Cabelas and they offered me $550. I still didn't take it but they are a higher end gun dealer. My advice is to either sell it outright or go to a gun store and put it on consignment for the price you require.

Your personal value of your firearm will not come into play.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
  7. Petronius

Petronius Staff Member Premium Member Mods

Wow, a 3% difference in condition and $80 difference in price. This is why I usually buy used.

8. Nitro225Optimax

Nitro225Optimax

Might be true for some run of the mill long guns, but it is certainly not the case with used handguns. Used handgun prices are sometimes so close to new prices, it almost makes more sense to buy new. Also, quite a few AR15's hold their value as well. I think some other factors like availability of the firearm (supply), the caliber, and popularity (demand) have a great deal to do with pricing.

FYI, I bought my Browning Stainless Steel A-bolt II with BOSS in 300winmag, with Leupold Vx-II 4-12x40 stainless scope for under $700 used. I have never seen one near that price used anywhere else since with a similar quality scope. I have seen some with cheaper bushnells get close to that price...

Shop the online gun auctions and the couple of gun stores in Michigan who list their used inventory to get a good idea of what they are selling for used. It's not hard to come up with a price.