Brown Trout

Discussion in 'South East Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by Lightline, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Splitshot

Splitshot

Ralf,

Quit crying about your maladies or I'll start taking up a collection for you and then I won't have time to go fishing.

Since I am always willing to help a fellow out, maybe you will help me out. I think we should try to get the DNR to plant tarpon in the Grand River. I mean they are one of the greatest fighters in the world. Another good reason is because they are big enough to eat all the suckers and carp and don't mind the warm water.

If you don't like that idea, perhaps we can get them to plant brook trout in the Rouge River as it is cold enough most of the year. I believe there are a few feeders there too. Anyway, I was just hoping you were a good sportsman and wanted to help a fellow out.

Since you mentioned the Little Manistee, yesterday when I looked out my window I saw a fresh steelhead bed with about 6 fish on it. Since it is the river the provides all the steelhead maybe we should lobby the DNR to close it to fishing for just property owners and their guests.

Not trying to highjack this thread, but I was just thinking. Amen!

2. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

3. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

Actually, they're not. I've seen LRB's caught on perch rigs with dead minnows, I've seen them caught on 12lb with a dead minnow on a flat calm, bright day, I've seen them caught on 6" bodybaits trolled in shallow water on flat, bright days, I've seen them caught casting 8" stickbaits, ect-ect. They are about the same difficulty as steelhead, which goes by conditions and the fishes mood that day. The main difference as far as catch rates is there are less browns then steelhead overall, which makes them seem more difficult to catch. If the DNR planted browns in the same numbers they plant steelhead, there would be as many, if not more, caught then steelhead.

4. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Good luck Ray. I have been lobbying the DNR to control the carp population in the Flint River and it's assorted impoundments for years. They don't want to use rotenone, I suggested Bull Sharks, they scoffed. You would think after the bull shark in Matawan Creek they would see my point. Bulls have a voracious appetite and could do a great job controlling those over sized invasive minnows, while providing a great sport fishery.
    Imagine it, the revitalization of Flint, now as a tourist destination to rival Key West. The DNR just doesn't get it.

5. jigworm

jigworm

It could work, at least for one summer. From Wikepidia:

Bull sharks have occasionally been seen in the Mississippi River as far north as St. Louis[10]. Even more rare, due to cooler waters, bull sharks have made their way up the Illinois River and into Lake Michigan such as an encounter off the coast of Chicago, Illinois[11]. In that incident the shark was verified by U. of Illinois biologists as being a female 6 feet 9 inches and weighing over 300 lbs.

6. Lightline

Lightline Guest

Shoeman,

I guess you didn't read the part where I said I was going to follow all the good advice and not try to float the Little Manistee.

I meant that the Huron is about all we have locally. I can't see how you missed that. There are also 13 miles of river, above Flatrock, with three Metro Parks and a lot of public access. I fish Huroc Park all the time. I was there yesterday. I see the crowds all the time. Most of them are fishing below the spillway. I usually always find a place to fish, when I go. Lately it's been a little tough and about impossible on the weekends, but I have a couple places up in the Metro Parks that I never see others fishing, so there's always an option available. I've never seen more than 2 or 3 other people fishing at Labo Park. Excuse me, but all of your LOLs and LMAOs are kinda LAME. Sorry to hear about your disability, but I wasn't about to bring mine up, Nice jump to a conclusion though--- a world class leap. There are other ways of dealing with disagreements than laughing in the other fellows face. Here goes another thread down the drain.

7. Splitshot

Splitshot

Unfortunately that happens to a lot of useless threads. However Paul's bull shark contribution might have saved this thread especially since we now know they can survive in fresh water. Good thinking Paul!

Oh yeah I've been trying all morning to get a picture of the spawning steelhead, but since they just started spawing, they move on and off the bed. Anyone who knows however will recognize what this is.
    [​IMG]

Some fish are already done spawning so you guys who will be fishing the lower river should hit it just right. The river has been droping every day and now almost all the snow in the woods has melted so without rain anyone with a good eye should see the spawners.

Ralf, I want you to start setting a better example for the sake of all moderators and please don't abuse the :):D:evil::lol: or :evilsmile. Thank you!

8. Steelplugger

Steelplugger

Very cool pic Splitshot, I love the "pothole", looks like they were working it pretty good... I also love the tea stain of that water....
    I also agree that the shark story saved this thread, although I can't fault Lightline for trying to think positively, my feeling is if they are going to plant more of anything around here, please make it more steelies and walleyes :).

9. Lightline

Lightline Guest

BTW, Shoeman.

If I said I had the spillway or any other sopt to myself, at any time, then I had it to myself. There were a few days in January and a couple in February, where the temps, were warm enough for me. the river was frozen above the spillway, and nobody was fishing below it. There was one day when I sat up on the foot bridge with my 13 footer and center pin, playing a Hot'n'Tot back and forth across the river, below the spillway. Yes, it's illegal to fish from the bridge, but there wasn't anyone else around, except for a friend that hangs around the park and was talking with me. There was another day that was nice enough and I had the whole spillway to myself. There were a couple people that I know, that were out for walks and stopped by to talk to me. A nice older black guy that smokes a pipe and a fellow fishing club member, from the old days. I posted that I was suprised that no one was there and I caught a decent little Steelie on a spawn bag. That place is not always a madhouse. most of those guys are fair weather fishermen that show up in spring and fall, when they can snag a lot of rough fish and the weather is nice. during the first couple weeks of January there were only a handful of us fishing the park about every day and doing very well. Unfortunately, most of the other guys were doing better than me. Most people on the forum and around the area didn't even know the fish were hitting so well then. All the posts were saying, don't bother and there's nothing happening. That was just before the freeze up, when there was just some shelf ice to deal with. I go to that park 3 to 4 days a week, from September to the end of April. If I don't fish, I'll stop by on my way to or from somewhere else, just to see friends and have a look. What I'm trying to say here is, that you called me a liar, with absolutely no evidence. If we were using our real names, I could sue you for that and it surely has to be against the rules. I don't lie sir!!!!! I have to pray every night to be forgiven for the sins of the day and I try to keep them to a minimum. This ridiculous forum makes it hard enough to be a decent Christian. I've landed 3 nice fish, in the last few days, in the park. When I was playing them, no one was in my way. When I got the the 9 lb male on Firday, there were 2 of us in a spot that can handle 4 people. That was at about 2pm. It started crowding up at about 4pm, so I left. When I got there, at about 1pm, a friend of mine had that spot to himself and had a good fish on. He had to leave for work, right after he lost it though. When I hooked another decent fish, a couple days earlier, in the same spot, I yelled fish on and looked to my left [downstream], to see of folks were comlplying and there was no one there. There was no one for 50 feet to my right. The only other guy that was fishing that apot had hooked a fish also. It went over the spillway and he was downstream chasing it. There was no one there, I couldn't reach my net, and couldn't beach him. It was all concrete slabs. A nice Black Guy came running over from the footbridge to hand my net to me. That was on Monday, early afternoon. My third fish, an 8 lb male was caught in another spot, in the park. I had no one for 30 feet on my right and 100 feet on my left. I don't fish around the park on the weekends though. The main reason I fish it at all is a confidence factor. I know where every rock and stump are and where the fish hang there. I missed a couple days last week though and don't spend more than 2 to 3 hours there, usually. I'll be moving up to Lower Huron Park this week though, cause the spots I scouted out in summer should have plenty of fish now. I found some nice gravel areas. So, you see, I don't need anyone to tell me about the crowds and I'm not in denial. When you aren't even there to see it, you have no right to explain how it is to someone who's there all the time. You're the guy that said water temps don't matter if there fish present. Do you really think they are just as active when the water is 32 as opposed to 42 degrees? I guess I learned something new, cause I was sure that water temps. had a big influence on fish behavior. As a matter of fact I was silly enough to think that low water temps, were one of the reasons the fish weren't present last month. I let a lot of things go, cause I don't try to start arguments, but I can drag up past posts also.

My next point is an attempt to save your soul. When you get your humor from laughing at other people, that is bad. Jesus said to love your neighbor as youself. You wouldn't want others laughing at you, would you? Isn't there a golden rule like that? It reminds me of the guys in school that stand around the hall, talking about and laughing at the other students. It's really juvenile. It's also a sign of low self esteem. You feel good about yourself. by finding fault in others. Yet, you say you're blessed by God. you admit to being foul mouthed and probably not the type of guy I would enjoy fishing with. Do you really think God bestows his blessings on you when you are not following his commands to love your neighbor and to avoid bag language. "Bad character corrupts good morals". Thats' from the Bible too. He tells us to avoid foul mouthed people. You need to open your Bible and see what it really takes to receive God's Blessings, before it's too late. He says of his children: "I will bless those that bless thee and curse those that curse thee". So please don't curse me. Read my signature and ask yourself if you live that way. Still think you are blessed? You may have wordly things, but not blessings from God. I do wish them for you though.

Guys, I truley am sorry for going on like this and wouldn't have done it if this man hadn't called me a liar, with no evidence to support it and kept laughing at me. Any person can only take so much, before he defends himself. Besides, it's Sunday; a little talk about the Lord can't hurt.

I'm leaving the forum anyway. I would probably end up banned anyway, Time is short. Our country is headed for disaster. All great civilzations fall from within. I pray that you all get right with God. This forum is a flea on an Elephant compared to what's going on in this world and I can't be wasting my time, thinking about the attacks on myself anymore. Satan is using people here to create chaos and hate in a world that should be full of love, They don't know it though and aren't volunteering. He used Peter to try to get Jesus to avoid his fate of crucifiction and Peter wasn't aware of it. He roams the earth, like a hungry lion, looking for any that he can devour. no one is safe, even in this little forum. Call me insane or some kind of religious nut. The opinions of others are not what I need to be concerned about. All of the discples were murdered and the Apostle Paul was beaten, jailed, and suffered greatly at the hands of men because of these mens opinions of them.

God Bless you all, from the bottom of my heart. Good bye.:)

10. stinger63

stinger63 Guest

Man thats too bad that 2 site members have left in two days I guess some people are just too sensitive about what others say.

11. TheUrbanMustache

TheUrbanMustache Guest

i dont think the grand could handle anymore predatory species stricly based on forage.:lol:

also mis-spelling an unmentionable stream and placing it in the wrong forum is not allowed(i know there is a rouge on the east side).:lol:

well since we are on the subject of "lobbying"...ive sent a letter to the dnr to get a solid musky program going on the pine river. all those trout(forage) need something to keep them in line. i mean seriously all those invasive non-natural trout need to go, and musky?!?:lol: well musky are just the greatest thing since sliced bread, and ill bet they'll grow with all those "trophy" trout in there.:lol:

in regards to the lil manistee, i have about 1100 natural resource lobbyists willing to sign off on completely closing(even to property owners) that entire river just for fishery nursery purposes. which would be really great for the resource. id pay to put security cameras up along the entire river to ensure nobody is in there playin' "hockey".:lol: ill bet our president would go for it, being from the midwest and all.:chillin:

this sarcasm really got the ball rolling, and i needed a good laugh:lol:

mark

12. TheUrbanMustache

TheUrbanMustache Guest

ray has that effect on people.

13. WILDCATWICK

WILDCATWICK

We'll it certainly doesn't look like Lake Erie is getting the browns. Check link for planting news. My back yard is in the mix again in regards to Brown trout. However, I wonder if dumping them much further upstream would have been more beneficial overall.

http://www.thetimesherald.com/article/20090331/NEWS01/903310316&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

14. stinger63

stinger63 Guest

Yeah Dave its great to se that they are paying attention to our home river again over 100K browns in the St clair:bowdown::bowdown::woohoo1::woohoo1: