Brookies!

Discussion in 'Upper Peninsula Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by PunyTrout, May 12, 2018.

1. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

So my buddy and I just got back from fishing a Type D lake in Alger County with his 12 year old nephew in tow. We thought we should teach the kid some values about harvesting from nature. Most of the snow had finally melted from the trail leading to the lake. And the mosquitoes hadn't really hatched out in force yet.

Long story short, the fishing was awesome! We never managed to catch the, ‘one’ 15 inch or greater trout the DNR regulations allow but, we did catch a ton of 12 to 14 inch Brookies using bait...

We ended up taking 30 trout home. 10 each for us adults and 10 for the nephew. We figured that we would just take the plausible 10 fish limit from a nearby ‘pink’ stream according to the new regulations and then lie about where we caught them if we got stopped. We laughed all the way home and were never questioned. Life is good!

The next day we went back and fished the same lake. This time however, we did manage a couple of trout over the minimum of 15 inches. Eight to be exact with one just under 20 inches! It was a beast! But, since we were never stopped or questioned the day before we took the additional 22 fish home between 8 and 14 inches as well…

I told my buddy we better cool it when we returned home for the day after harvesting 60 trout between the three of us in two days. We could barely find room for them in the freezer anyway... He said, “Those guys on the forum said the fishing would get even better the more fish we take outta there. They gotta know what they’re talking about, they’re experts! Hell, they talk about catching 50-100 trout a day every time they go out...”.

“You know what?”, I said, “Let’s do it! - For the fishery!”. “The more fish we take from the system, the fishing will become better according to them. That’s what they’ve said over and over in all of those Brook Trout threads on the forum. We should do this over and over again all Summer long and into the Fall. Hell, maybe even into the Winter, out of season. - Do we really even need seasons?… It will only just keep getting better and better...

And if everyone does the same thing as us, we’ll have an even better fishery next year. Right?

This story was just a bit of satire. Don’t take it personally.

Don’t violate Fish & Game laws. If you do decide to take your limit, don’t let them go to waste. Someone else could have enjoyed them as well—and it could have made their day—better...

2. Dead Bird

Dead Bird Mods

I think I understand the point you are trying to make but I don't find it funny... sorry but I think you could have made your point in a better written thread... you spent a lot of time typing....

3. Trout King

Trout King

Well, I could go to my favorite brook trout stream and fill a 5 gallon bucket. I really could on some days, sometimes it seems like it would be achievable. It would be so easy to get away since I have private access and nobody even knows when I fish it back there. I haven't been pulled over in 16 years and all those fish could be given away before I cross a county line, but I surely could make it home to stuff the freezer with some great pike bait.

Why not? 1. I am a law abiding sportsman
    2. I only take what I will utilize.
    3. I'm a generally honest person (but I do trout fish often ;) ) Not to mention, can you imagine the penalty if caught?

I believe a vast majority of people are honest about the game laws and respect the resources. Violators will violate. How in the world did a 10 fish limit on almost every stream in the state allow the species to survive for decades? Or before there were any bag limits for that matter? People must have never broke the law and taken more than the legal limit before these new regs? I think it is a bit silly to think suddenly the new regs are going to spawn a whole new breed of violators.

Officers have ways of gathering evidence/extracting information. If suspicious all it takes on a trout stream is "show me where" and the officer looks for tracks and evidence of where the events supposedly took place. If someone really wants to fill buckets of brook trout in the LP on any given stream where the limit is 5 they could probably get away with it, but many of those who have those thoughts are curbed by knowing the censequences when caught (no fishing for a few years, heavy fines and possible jail time)

I guess the disconnect between us agreeing on this is, this scenario is the same as every other fish and game law on the books. A violator can easily kill a spike in a APR zone, get pulled over and lie where they were hunting, shoot a tom turkey in a zone they didn't have a tag for and lie, double limit on panfish a day and lie to officers, kill undersize pike on a lake where the limit is 24" and say they caught them in a lake without a minimum size limit. The list goes on and on with a variety of scenarios with any law.

Let me pose this question; how is it possible for a officer to prove any fish/game law has been violated unless clear physical evidence is present or the violator is caught in the act? Liars lie, violators violate, it's that simple, I am happy to have the belief a vast majority of sportsman follow the law. If they didn't we probably wouldn't have much to fish or hunt for nowdays.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  4. Trout King

Trout King

metal-bucket-full-fish-selective-focus-59728683.jpg

Ps- the whole 90-10 rule, most people can't attain a 5 fish limit, let alone 10.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  5. Jmohunts

Jmohunts

If you can't catch 5 brookies, you better go back to reading your "fishing for Dummies" book. Or you are fishing where there aren't any.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sparky23 likes this.
  6. TK81

TK81

And how many people really get a chance to fish these gems that often. Most guys that are willing to bust brush / wade for hours on end to catch 8 to 10 inch fish (with occasional hogs) are also guys that are working 40 to 60 hours a week making better lives for their families. Busting the brush on small streams is one of my favorite types of fishing...but I only do it a couple times a year...and it's usually a mixed bag of trouts that I bring home. Guys like you and Puny and exceptions.

7. mondrella

mondrella

Really???
    Glad to see you teaching a 12 year old to poach. Talented way to justify it by twisting what others say. Goes to show those that are going to poach are going to do it and justify it in some way.

I get its fiction and you are trying to get a point across. Just poorly done.
    Poachers are going to break the law regardless.
    Best to support selective harvest and educate others in a positive way. We have a incredible renewable resource available to us. Just look at how far we have come in just outdoor magazine articles. I have a collection of old outdoor life from the 60s every fishing article for trout there is pictures of dead limits of fish. It was the norm then. It was the beginning of the extreme of no kill. Out numbered that small group realized they had to organize to get their way. Which they did to a degree. In fact the waters they wanted the known prime waters of the state they have. Imagine how much more unified anglers could be with a strong push for selective harvest.

As a former TU member and attending meetings regularly I realized it was not for me. The chapter that tried to start actually killed itself with the narrow between the eyes members who would chastise and verbally abuse a young fisherman who was in his early 20s who tossed hardware for trout instead of a fly.

itchn2fish likes this.
  8. Trout King

Trout King

I can show you streams with brookies that most days the best fishermen I know couldn't catch 5. These aren't in the UP though.

mattawanhunter and itchn2fish like this.
  9. Ranger Ray

Ranger Ray Smells like, Victory! Premium Member

Someone kept a trout?

itchn2fish likes this.
  10. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

This thread and this fictional story was created with the intent to address the idea that anglers can have an effect on fish populations. I am not against keeping fish. Especially, when done in a sustainable way. The idea that anglers can in fact, over-harvest a watershed that relies on natural reproduction alone for its fish population is a valid concern IMO. This is not done through the actions of a single angler alone. It is the cumulative effect of the actions of the many who decide to take their limit over and over again, over the course of a season. I have spoken with anglers who are of the opinion that our actions have zero effect on the fisheries. I disagree. I am of the opinion that a threshold does exist where our actions can have a negative effect if too many take too much.

If the satirical approach I have taken to underline this opinion rubs you the wrong way, too bad.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  11. Jmohunts

Jmohunts

Either are the fisherman, lol.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

12. Quig7557

Quig7557

13. Trout King

Trout King

15673.jpeg What kills more trout? Anglers or other trout that are large enough to be kept? Brookies are verocious feeders, above is a example. Do you think that fish or I could kill more trout in that stream per year? By taking that fish I am sure I saved more trout than I could manage to catch in that stream, but there are most likely excess fish that die each year due to carrying capacity anyway.

Again, I stress my belief the guys that do catch the most trout are the guys most aware about what is acceptable to keep in a particular stream (even though our fisheries biologist have concluded sport fishing has no negative long term impacts on trout populations).

14. Benzie Rover

Benzie Rover

TK - I generally agree with your perspectives. I also agree that sportfishing is usually not the main impact to brook trout populations. While human impact can and does happen, in general lack/loss of habitat is #1 stressor, interspecific competition from steelie and coho smolts are #2 stressor for the vast majority of our rivers in the Lake Mi and Lake Superior basin. All those facts aside, ever think about how ironic it is for us to have this stance, yet, we would not disclose the location of our favorite holes or favorite stretches, or heck, many times not even the name of our river - to a single other fisherman for anything.

And for fear of what? The impact that we already acknowledge is not that big of a deal? I struggle with this contradiction from time to time. None the less, I get really bummed whenever I see fresh boot tracks, or even old ones, along the banks when I approach any hole I have bushwhacked into. Brook trout will do funny things to a person.

PunyTrout, itchn2fish, zig and 2 others like this.
  15. Trout King

Trout King

I have thought about that too, but more than anything I don't need the fish being put down right before I get there. Lol. Also, the more people fish a stretch the more "educated" they get, obviously their peas size brains are not conducive to education, so conditioned may be the proper term. I may be way off base thinking big old trout can be conditioned to the same presentations or wakes disturbing them, but to me, better safe than sorry.

itchn2fish likes this.