Brook trout

Discussion in 'North West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by Brandon Sulicki, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Brandon Sulicki

Brandon Sulicki

Will be over the last weekend in august for a camping/fishing weekend, Staying In Ludington at Kibby creek. Sunday we will be going after Kings on the big lake, but Saturday was hoping to explore some smaller streams, maybe targeting brook trout. I have zero knowledge fishing for brook trout and was hoping for a little input/guidance. No fly fishing, would be on a spinner reel, to be honest I don’t even know what tackle to use. Also willing to put some miles on the pick up to have a little fun. Hiking to a location not a issue either. Any help would be greatly appreciated, possibly can return the favor on the Saginaw bay if anyone willing to drop me a line. Thanks a bunch

2. subocto

subocto

Find a decent sized creek, hike it, try small Rooster tails in black or white. Good luck!

Brandon Sulicki and tincanary like this.

3. tincanary

tincanary

Don't forget brown. That's usually my money color aside from black or white.

Brandon Sulicki likes this.
  4. Stubee

Stubee

The coldest water with cover you can find. They often live in a stream you can easily jump across.

5. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen Premium Member

Read the map and pick creeks, etc. not open to the big lakes if possible. Using Brookie tactics on spawning streams right now will catch a lot of smolts, which can be fun and impressive for kids at least. Also try to pick such segments far from any lake source, so ground water inputs have had a chance to bring down the water temps.

Brandon Sulicki likes this.