Brook Trout or, Brown Trout? - Help with identification.

Discussion in 'North West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by PunyTrout, Jul 23, 2017.

1. PunyTrout

PunyTrout Staff Member Mod

If you were to go by the information provided above, how would you answer your question? Do Cutthroats have dark spots on a light background or light spots on a dark background?

They have dark spots on a light background. Therefore they are trout, not Char. Cutthroats are closely related to Rainbow Trout not, Brookies to answer your question.

neazor91 likes this.
  2. taxi

taxi

Very true. However there are brook trout out west in cutthroat habitat. They are considered in invasive species.

3. Ol'M35Yooper

Ol'M35Yooper

Sorry for my late reading and response to the OP - I'm a newbie here. Just wanted to add... that there is a non-native char in Michigan (sorry if missed it in the tread): the Splake - a Brook Trout/Lake Trout hybrid. I was catching them periodically over a couple of seasons about... oh, 15-20 years ago in some of the UP streams that feed to L Michigan (including a 17 incher!). Rumor was the DNR was experimenting with them, planting in the lake but they we're migrating to inland rivers. Not sure if that's true. Anyway, they look VERY similar to a Brook - only slightly paler, but the tell-tale - or should I say "tell-tail" give away is the forked tail of the Lake Trout. They were interesting to catch, but I have to say that I was really disappointed that that 17 incher was not a Brookie. :(

PunyTrout likes this.
  4. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

There are several places in the UP where you can catch brookies that are over 18 inches if you put in the years to find them.

6Speed and UPEsox like this.
  5. DrSpeck

DrSpeck

I would add that such places exist in the LP as well if you’re willing to bushwhack and take a very stealthy approach. I’ve caught bigger fish downstate than up recently and I’ve fished deep in the woods in both the upper and lower. I think the land and water has healed a little from years past.

TroutFishingBear and koditten like this.
  6. UPEsox

UPEsox

Stealth is key, easiest way to be stealthy is fish at night.

7. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

Not when I am stumbling around in the dark woods.

UPEsox likes this.
  8. on a call

on a call

;) Not your just normal joe he is a professional...huh?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020