Broken bones

Discussion in 'Primitive Skills, Bushcraft, and Survival' started by shaffe48b, Aug 1, 2020.

1. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

I was practicing with my Sam splint tonight focusing on wrists ankles and forearm I guess the most common that such a thing self administered will most likely help(???)

But I keep remembering in the movies about 'setting' broken bones. To be honest I'm not sure this is something I could do for myself or would want to do for someone else. Well actually I can think of a few people I don't like but besides them.

So do you just splint it as is? What if it's a day or two until you get to the hospital? I'm guessing for this reason you would want to get to the hospital asap even if it looked straight. I mean after several days it'll start to heal wrong right?

2. yeeyee outdoorsmen

yeeyee outdoorsmen

Yeah you will start to heal wrong I broke my arm this summer not in the woods but when I did it I was thinking about the woods. Here is a pic of my x-ray. IMG_5902(1).jpeg IMG_5902.jpeg

Sent from my SM-A102U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

M.Schmitz87 and shaffe48b like this.

3. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

Apparently you want to imobilize as it is if possible and evacuate. The reason is major blood vessles generally reside next to your bones.

anagranite likes this.
  4. on a call

on a call

Just looking at that x-ray made my testicleles cringe :( Wow...how did you do that ??

M.Schmitz87 and Petronius like this.
  5. yeeyee outdoorsmen

yeeyee outdoorsmen

6. on a call

on a call

Wow that is nice break...reminds me of my ankle looked a lot like that. Except the joint was dislocated too. Dr. said you will never really walk well again...I am and do.

7. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

I spent a few months in physical therapy this spring after I sprained my ankle trying to avoid a skunk when jogging. I almost puked. Cant imagine breaking it. I bought a pair of danner pronghorns and I'll tell you the ankle support is worth $170 if it saves me another $600 in physical therapy.

8. on a call

on a call

I fell down a tree with climbing spurs on, about 25 feet. I tried to gaff the tree on my way down...big mistake...the gaff hooked up near the bottom and shattered my ankle and the bone above it.

Long story short...after another surgery and four screws I am better. Hurts to jump on that foot..but I can walk miles :) !!

9. on a call

on a call

10. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

Generally, you would just splint the injury in the position it is. If it's another ankle injury. You might want to consider leaving your boot on and splinting around it.

One other thing to remember. Make sure they/you can move and feel their/your fingers or toes before you splint and after.