Broke weld on reel seat....

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by 50incher, May 21, 2020.

1. 50incher

50incher

DSCN0152.JPG

Had one weld brake while respooling line, reel is better than new ;)....I have never repaired this and wondering if others have any advice....I was thinking a really good epoxy ?....thought about trying to "solder" etc. ?....

Appreciate any suggestions if you've been successful....I'll send to tincannary for some "frame" replacement if I need to....thanks in advance all !....cheers....pic might not be great, rear foot weld broke....

2. Fishndude

Fishndude

Epoxy doesn't really bond to metal real well. I'd ask Tin Canary if he can repair it. If not, maybe just invest in a new reel. That reel likes like it is in almost-new condition. Is it under warranty?

50incher likes this.

3. RDS-1025

RDS-1025

I would try J B Weld before Epoxy.

jd4223 and 6thMichCav like this.
  4. tincanary

tincanary

I consulted a couple of other reel repair guys I speak with and their input was just to replace the frame. Epoxy nor JB Weld will do the job as they are both brittle and wouldn't stand up to a running fish. One did mention that it could possibly be brazed, but that's risky as it could probably melt the thumb bar in the process. If this were a 6500 with the push button release, it would be a far easier job to braze it back together. Best is to play it safe and get a new frame. You don't want a musky to run for it and snap the reel foot. Next think you know a rogue reel is smashing into your line guides in the process.

frenchriver1 likes this.
  5. Fishndude

Fishndude

6. piketroller

piketroller

If you have a friend with a TIG welder it should be an easy fix. Wrap the reel in some wet rags to soak up the excess heat.

cruzer, tincanary and FREEPOP like this.
  7. tincanary

tincanary

It is, but it's also different from epoxies such as West and Set 3G. Plus like you said, they don't bond to metal well. Welding would be the ideal route.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  8. 50incher

50incher

Yeah it's so nice because tincanary already souped it up, lol....long past warranty....I'll ask tincanary about the part, looks like it would be an easy fix to replace, even for two thumbs like me....thanks all !....

9. tincanary

tincanary

It's a pretty easy swap, all you need is a Phillips and a flathead. You'll remove the line guide and worm gear as well but that's pretty easy to do. The only real "gotcha" is when reattaching the crank side assembly. Make sure you hold the thumb bar in Up position because it can be easy to push the engagement pin into the thumb bar. If that happens just pull it back out with pliers.

50incher likes this.
  10. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Send that pic to Abu. I once has something similar happen to an old reel that showed absolutely no abuse. They sent me a whole new reel. Even from just the pic one can see the weld had inadequate penetration.

tincanary and 50incher like this.
  11. 50incher

50incher

Ohhhkayy, lol....I just looked at it and had thought the seat would come off with just the 2 rods, but nope, looks like a whole side plate needs to come off....I'll give it a whirl, if I screw it up ?....more business for you :D !....

Gotta say, I already used the reels, along with the vintage Garcia 300 spinning reels, big smiles....awesome & sweet too....your a great guy to work with....& thanks for the link !....

12. tincanary

tincanary

You have to take both side plates off. The gearbox is contained in the crank side so no worries about anything falling apart, it won't be like a Jack in the box lol.

13. ETW

ETW

If you bring it out to me I'll TIG it for you. Retired welder but I still have a little shop out here. The welding part should be no problem. I'll do it while you wait but the catch is that you have to handle the disassembly/reassembly. I just want the part(s) to be welded. I'm out around the Howell/Hartland area. PM me if you want to talk.

50incher and tincanary like this.
  14. 50incher

50incher

Very gracious offer ETW !....I appreciate it, but I have ordered the part/frame....can't lie it hurt a bit at $53 lol !....might not be cost efficient but ehh, call it a learning curve....after tincanary's magic handy work, I figured what the hell....

That reel gets a little "history" it'll owe me a 50" fish :D....cheers....

sureshot006 likes this.
  15. ETW

ETW

OK. Well I hope it all works out for you. If you still want the old parts fixed up let me know. Then you have a spare frame, haha. I think the original is resistance (spot) welded but I can make a small stainless fillet weld on each end or each side. Would take longer to turn on the welder and put my hood on than the weld itself. Take care and "tight lines".

Tom T, tincanary and 50incher like this.