Breathable or Neoprene waders..

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by natureboy2534, Oct 3, 2019.

1. SteelShot

SteelShot

I respectfully disagree. The breathables fit loose so it is much easier to layer than with the neoprene waders. I’ve always had issues getting heavy pants inside my boot with neoprene. With the breathables it is super easy. Mine are Drake Breathables and they have a liner. Even on the coldest days I don’t wear more than long johns and wader pants and am very comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

natureboy2534 and nelsonjr89 like this.
  2. Nicks22

Nicks22

Had same issue with Frogs as previous post. First pair put hole in thigh area. Returned, second pair boot leaked. Loved the light weight as I do a lot of walking, but need to stay dry. Back to 3mm neo’s, average about three years a pair.

3. General Ottsc

General Ottsc

I like the breathable waders for the comfort factor. I had a pair of Cabela's breathables that probably lasted 2 or 3 years before they started leaking.

I've got Lacrosse Aero Elites right now and they have quite a few bells and whistles. Shell belt with build in back support and a ammo pouch that snaps on the belt, microfleece handwarmer, 2 pouches, one of which has a dry bag built in for your cell phone. 1000 grams insulation in the boots which is good for me because my feet get cold fairly easy.

natureboy2534 likes this.
  4. AaronJohn

AaronJohn

I

5. squawk7500

squawk7500

Wader opinions are like certain body parts...everyone has one. Everyone's opinion is very different. Certain brands are crap to certain people etc etc. I had a pair of winchester $80 3 mm neos that lasted me nearly 4 seasons of duck hunting without issue... and there are people who spend $300+ on neos and have them leak the second time out.

I would just try something new if that's what you're curious about. Rodgers makes an interesting setup that has different insulation liners you can pull in and out depending on early season or late.

I was running neos until last year and then I went breathable... much nicer to walk around in for sure.

6. Scadsobees

Scadsobees

I take the middle part out of some huggies and put those in my boots. The breathable waders still take a while to dry back out, but this keeps the sloshing to a minimum.

koditten and natureboy2534 like this.
  7. Take'm

Take'm

I can't decide if this is a serious post or not..... o_O

koditten likes this.
  8. Scadsobees

Scadsobees

Well, if you decide it's serious and try it, please report back how it works. ;)

9. slwayne

slwayne

I bought the Rogers last Spring. Two fishing seasons and one duck season on them and so far so good. I really like the removable liners. Also like the 1000 grams of insulation in the boots (as compared to the 600 grams in my old Cabelas breathables that finally wore out two seasons ago).

10. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

1 hunt on the banded redzone waders for me..seem pretty decent. The only thing is the shin guards holds alot of water in them while getting into boat, just have to drain your legs for a minute and your good..They do have drain holes in them but sometimes they dont seem to work..Will probably never go back to neo..THANKS for all the information. .Even if it gets brought up a cople times a year..

Take'm likes this.
  11. mkubiak

mkubiak

Buy both. Later in the year, I would much rather deal with a small leak in my neoprenes vs my breathables.

Cabela’s used to make the hybrids and those were cool.

Hard to beat the Cabela’s super mags for everything (that is what I have)

The Cabela’s warriors were a good breathable.

my current pair of breathables are rockys with vibrant soles.

12. Outdoor Gal

Outdoor Gal

Caddis makes a hybrid wader (neoprene on bottom, breathable on top) but I can't really recommend them. One year and mine were leaking horribly at all the seams. Especially the seam between the two different materials. I wore them early season before the water cooled down and my waist would get soaked.

How do breathables hold up to things like thorns and sticks in the knees? I'm always poking holes in the knees of my neoprene waders.

13. Shiawassee_Kid

Shiawassee_Kid

14. lefty421

lefty421

This is season 7 with breathables and have never poked a hole in them. Mine have always had some kind of abrasion resistant durable outside layer like cordura that protects against most punctures.
    I originally had the Cabelas Warrior II's which where hybrid breathables with a thin (1.5mm?) layer of neo on the legs. Bought those in 2013 and wore them up until last season, so that would be 5 years on those. I really liked those, but they started leaking at the crotch seam. Last year I picked up a new pair of Cabelas insulated breathables and haven't had any problems, but they can be a little warm for early season hunts. I think they were called the Big Cypress, but I think they've already been discontinued. insulated breathables, with 1600g boots. This is season 2 with them and no leaks so far. My son just got a pair of the Roger's Elite breathables with the zip out insulated liner and so far so good on those too.
    Would never go back to neoprene.

My new pair of waders also has the pant leg that drops down over the boot and as others have noted, YES, it can trap and hold a bunch of water. There are drain holes, but they don't work great. Now, every time I climb into the boat, I have to take a few extra seconds to allow each pant leg to drain before throwing that leg into the boat. Its kinda a pain, but not a big deal once you get used to doing it.

Tonypro and natureboy2534 like this.
  15. Wolverine423

Wolverine423

Neo’s are clammy, damp and heavy. You don’t need to wear hordes of layerings under breathables to stay warm in freezing temps - Just a quality layer & wool sock. Until you wear a set of breathables hunting, you neo guys don’t have a clue what your talking about.

natureboy2534 and Fishndude like this.