Breathable or Neoprene waders..

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by natureboy2534, Oct 3, 2019.

1. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

Looking for new waders this year, I always had Neoprene waders: Drakes, Cabelas,Lacrosse and frog toggs. Was looking into Breathable waders just want to get any pros and cons of the breathable waders. Pretty well set on neoprene waders had many of them over the years with some better than others. Im the guy thats busting ice when all the rest take up deer hunting or shopping on black Friday. So what your opinions on how durable and warm they will be. Did alot of research on the net and wanted some of your opinions.Thanks for any input..
    Looking into Banded or Rogers brands.

TriggerDiscipline likes this.
  2. Swamp Boss

Swamp Boss

Con on breathables, must wear a layer for heat, noisy, not as frag resistant as neos, not buoyant (which could be a positive).

my .02

3. FISHMANMARK

FISHMANMARK

I've given away 2 sets of neoprene waders and I won't buy another pair.

4. AaronJohn

AaronJohn

breathable = game changer

Slimjim338, koditten, 6Speed and 7 others like this.
  5. Take'm

Take'm

See the link below and many others already discussing this subject.

https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/threads/which-waders-to-buy.647993/#post-7407725

Haven't owned neoprene waders in more than 15 years, wouldn't ever buy another pair again.

greenhead, HRCHLab and natureboy2534 like this.
  6. AaronJohn

AaronJohn

Take'm and U.P.WoodChuck like this.
  7. bfaber

bfaber

I just switched to breathable this year so don’t have much of a input on longevity. However they are a heck of a lock more comfortable. I have frog togs grande refuge insulated with a removable liner. I us d them this spring steelhead fishing and loves them.

natureboy2534 likes this.
  8. flighthunter

flighthunter

The biggest difference I notice in breathable vs neoprene is lack of stretch, that’s where I think neoprene outshines. Example, lifting leg over boat gunwale... if your wearing breathables and run out of material/no stretch, you’re probably getting wet.

UPEsox and natureboy2534 like this.
  9. jatc

jatc

Breathable. Can layer underneath for any condition and much nicer if you are walking any distance at all.

10. lefty421

lefty421

I haven't used neoprene waders in about 10 years and never plan on going back.
    Especially now that they have breathables with removable insulation/liners.... can be used all year long, just layer appropriately for the season.

babs2699, 6Speed and natureboy2534 like this.
  11. craigrh13

craigrh13

Not sure why anyone would wanna wear neoprene....

12. ajkulish

ajkulish

Never had breathables, can certainly see why they are appealing in early season. But when late season rolls around, is it really less cumbersome wearing a bunch of layers under your waders than it is just to throw on one warm pant and one warm wader?

13. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

Found out that the pissability (made that word up) is definitely AWESOME. Always had the door slam shut on neoprene and these dont have that problem. .Easy to pizz out of...Thats a plus for me..

koditten and babs2699 like this.
  14. 28hotshot

28hotshot

Always wore neoprene waders in the past. Would be lucky to get 2 years out of them including patching and dealing with mild leaks. I picked up a pair of frogg togg grand refuge 2.0 breathable waders. First reactions were that they were comfortable, and definitely had some added features thought of by actual waterfowlers such as zip out liners, wader belt, drawstring, shell belt, 2 zipped pouches, and a hand warmer. After the 2nd hunt the boot started leaking. I swapped them out at the local retailer. Second hunt with the new waders I had a phrag stick through the arch portion of the boot almost impaling my foot. This time I contacted frogg togg directly and they informed me that they have had several hunters wear the same pair for 2 years now every day without issue. He insisted i swapped them out again so I did.

Other things I did notice is there is no flotation. If you are doing the ol hold waders up to your neck and tip toe moon jump walk across sketchy bottom or a slightly deep area you will probably float your hat like I did on the first hunt. This is the only real negative I see so far besides longetivity.

15. AaronJohn

AaronJohn

yes

ajkulish likes this.