Breaking down rods

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by nowicki2005, Jan 12, 2020.

1. nowicki2005

nowicki2005

How do you guys break down three or four piece rods with everything still rigged up?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. eggfly

eggfly

On my 3 piece, I disconnect the top piece first, flip the top section 180 degrees. Holding the top section against the middle I separate it from the bottom section and flip the ends 180 degrees.

For my 4 piece rod, when moving from hole to hole i just break it down in the middle and carry it as a 2 piece.

jd4223 likes this.

3. Sewey

Sewey

I was wondering the same as I just got a 3 piece rod. I imagined doing what eggfly said and I went and bought some small gearties to help keep them secure. Just spooled the Friday, but river conditions kept me home this weekend, so I’ll rig it up soon and see how that works.

4. nowicki2005

nowicki2005

Thanks! I have a 4 piece and the two sections makes sense. I'm going to see if I can do it with 4.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

eggfly likes this.
  5. 101thwacK

101thwacK

What eggfly said, and get some rod huggers.
    [​IMG]

eggfly likes this.
  6. antlerhunter

antlerhunter

Or build your own....

101thwacK likes this.
  7. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

One thing to remember is that with a 3 pc. rod you need to keep the distance from hook to float less than the length of the tip section of the rod, or remove the float, otherwise you end up with a mess.

Fishndude, eggfly and Treven like this.
  8. LushLife

LushLife

and don't forget to engage the clicker

9. rkc118

rkc118

i use the 180 degree method for a 4 piece. i use velcro to hold it all together, never saw those rod huggers, but they look great. and yeah, don't forget to engage the clicker.

eggfly likes this.
  10. Treven

Treven Banned

Those rod huggers and whatever Colville sells, not for me. Black elastic hair bands are perfect and don’t look like friggen booby tassels. SMH...

11. jd4223

jd4223

I also use a form of hair bands/pony tail bands with some kind of plastic or bead on the end, Buy them at most dollar stores for a buck for package of 2-4 of them..

12. damkeeper

damkeeper

I build my own rods and stick to 2 piece rods. I agree 3 piece are difficult to deal with breaking down. Especially when fishing Big Rivers with long shot line and double bead. If a 14' or longer rod is your choice. 3 piece it is,and the suggestions above are excellent . And the 4 piece treat as a 2 till you want to put it away for a while..

eggfly likes this.
  13. wyandot

wyandot

I haven't owned a 3-piece in a few years, but I didn't have a problem breaking down and transporting the ones I owned. I always stuck my jig or hook on one of the butt section guide frames, pulled the midsection ferrule apart and pulled it straight back flush with the butt, uncouple the tip section ferrule and pulled it straight back flush with the butt. Then a gobbed it all together with a couple hair ties. Re-assemble it in reverse order and everything goes right back where it was with no tangles.

Treven, GrandGuru and eggfly like this.
  14. Treven

Treven Banned

Couldn’t agree more. I have zero issue with three piece rods. I certainly prefer two piece since it’s easier, but if the right rod for my need is a 3’er, I wouldn’t think twice.

The only bummer I can come up with is you now have one open ferrule at the butt of the rod, so you have to be a little more diligent about where you set your rod, butt-down. That’s it for the real bummer of 3pc., in my book. They aren’t hard to break down with line through them! Tandem rigs mentioned above... yeah, I’m not a fan... problem solved.

Truth be told, I really enjoy 13’-6” 3pc. rods for the increase in blank speed over a 13’ 2pc. For walking-in on the Big Manistee, there is no better rod than a 15’ 3pc., IMO.

I was begging for a 13’-6” 6-12lb 3pc. Closer blank from Lamiglas, instead of the 13’ 6-10lb blank, when the 12’ 6-12’s were first introduced and the 13’ 6-10lb wasn’t even announced yet.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    wyandot likes this.