close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Boy Scouts!

Discussion in 'Political Discussions (FreeMichigan.com)' started by Steve, Oct 11, 2017.

1. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

No, I didn't think they would teach me to hunt, my father was already doing that. I had already been shooting for a while by that time. I walked with him for small game and he was taking me up north, during bow season, teaching me how to track and look for sign.

I knew nothing about the cub scouts, a friend asked me down to his place for a meeting. Not one kid was talking about hunting, or fishing, just little kids stuff like their pinewood derby cars. None of the "Pack Leaders" AKA "Den Mothers" knew anything about hunting or fishing either. Never went back. No use hanging around with kids who don't hunt or fish, now is there?

jiggin is livin and capper like this.
  2. jps

jps

Then... what difference does it make to you if they change their rules? Before you were talking like you were invested on the scouts and now it looks like you could not care less for them.

3. Ranger Ray

Ranger Ray Smells like, Victory! Premium Member

I can see it now. A kissing merit badge. Man to be young again.

4. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

No, I have no real interest. I just think it's always wrong to give up one's core values. Wishy Washy is not good. One should stand on their principles. To do other wise is to diminish one's self.

capper and TriggerDiscipline like this.
  5. brewster

brewster

I would agree that technology has changed the focus of activities for kids. As a retired teacher I try to help connect kids to activities to which they have little access.

We had two groups of Cub Scouts, at separate times, out to our farm this year for activities and they were shocked they couldn't take their cell phones on the hikes. The rules weren't set by me or the den leaders, it was the fathers. The dads said they would take pictures, or loan the camera, if the kids wanted them. Some got pictures of the Emerald Ash Borer, beautiful but, terrible.

The dads were very appreciative for the time I took with the kids on our hike. They wanted their kids fully attached to the activity, including the mud, bugs and how to identify poison ivy. It was something their kids would not have experienced, if not for the scout group.

When we were done, one of the groups played a "claymation" video they had recently made for scouts with lego figures, scouts aren't one dimensional.

zzcop302, bobberbill and jps like this.
  6. jps

jps

7. zzcop302

zzcop302

What you did was really positive and probably an experience most of them wouldn’t have had otherwise.
    I think introducing young people to outdoor activities is one of the best things an adult can do....
    I’ve had lots of fun taking kids fishing.... I get as much fun out of it as they do.

jiggin is livin, jps and brewster like this.
  8. Sparks

Sparks

why are boy scouts declining

try google

9. brewster

brewster

Thank you, I truly appreciate the thought and that you take kids out fishing. They may not remember all the details but, they remember the experience.

Some of the fish they catch may even get bigger every story they tell.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    zzcop302 and jps like this.
  10. Mags

Mags

Most popular merit badge: Beaver Quest?

11. zzcop302

zzcop302

Very true.... the mark of a true angler....stretch the size of the fish ;)
    I’ve never seen a kid as excited about anything as I have seeing them catch their 1st fish.... especially if they are around 4-10 years old.... I almost lost the hearing in my right ear when my young daughter caught her 1st fish.... I wasn’t aware until that moment that a human being could produce such a high pitched, loud scream lol.

Scout 2, jps and brewster like this.
  12. brewster

brewster

I understand the activity and would prefer it be obtained in the older more advanced group, 17 and older.

13. TK81

TK81

Girl Scout cookies are awesome ($4.00). Boy Scouts sell popcorn that you couldn't give to me ($20.00).

Electronic gadgetry.

My 8 year old son is shooting BB guns and bows. Our troop leader is an Eagle that loves fishing and hunting and teaches CPL on the side. We do a couple fishing outings, both winter and summer camping, and plenty of hikes. We hope to be able to take the boys ice fishing this winter (got to clear it with legal).

Maybe a few drop for the "gay inclusion", but probably insignificant in the grand scheme of factors.

14. jps

jps

Thanks for sharing your first hand experience. It looks like nice activities that you have on your troup!

15. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

I hope you can make that happen. When, and where I went, those things were not done. It's kind of sad that you have clear an ice fishing trip with "legal". If the parents say it's OK, it's OK. Lawyers, and a sue crazy country, are really hurting this country. Is there any wonder that fewer people are getting into the out door sports?