close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Boy Scouts!

Discussion in 'Political Discussions (FreeMichigan.com)' started by Steve, Oct 11, 2017.

1. jps

jps

As Pericles said: You may not be interested in breibart. But breibart is interested in you.

2. pescadero

pescadero

They've done a significantly better job at maintaining membership relative to the BSA, and have done a significantly better job staying "current" to the desires of their membership. They've also had significantly less issue with sex abuse scandals.

PerchPatrol and jps like this.

3. pescadero

pescadero

Yes, they're welcome to turn away large numbers of potential members - and their membership decline and loss of sponsors reflect that.

4. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

And anti-religious people are able to do the same. It all falls under the 1st Amendment.

5. jps

jps

There is a difference between secular and anti-religious.

BSA will likely have to become secular if they are worried about a declining membership.

6. Sparks

Sparks

Started declining when gays were openly accepted, more that likely

7. jps

jps

Do you have figures of membership decline to back up that comment?

8. Sparks

Sparks

Good on you. Do you have any numbers to prove differently???????????

9. jps

jps

I did not say that the decline is due to anything in particular because I don't have those statistics to compare to certain decisions.

But you seem to be infusing a bit a (gender) prejudice in your comments. Do you have any evidence to support your claim that the decline in membership is due to the boy scouts being more gender inclusive?

10. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

OR, they can do what people of principle do and stick to their convictions. I know how out of style that is, but, it would be a really refreshing change. I have no use for wishy washy people who are willing to compromise core values. There seems to be fewer and fewer people with back bones. Must be a genetic flaw.

TriggerDiscipline likes this.
  11. jps

jps

12. jps

jps

Were you ever a boy scout?

13. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

Nope, was a Cub Scout when I was about 8, I quit when I learned that hunting was not a part of what they did. No need to waste time not doing what you want to do, now is there?

14. jps

jps

This is a very colorful story.

So you were 8... went to the scouts thinking they would teach you to hunt and quickly discovered it was not a children's hunting club and quit?

Was it something along those lines?

15. zzcop302

zzcop302

Only an opinion, but I think the decline and lack of interest over the last 10-20 years in organizations like the BS and others is due in part to all the technological distractions available to young people.....
    Cell phones, computers, video games, texting, Facebook etc etc.....and I’m not trying to paint all young kids with the same brush, but it does seem to correlate time-wise with a lack of interest in many things including BS and outdoor activities in general.
    Starting to sound like my parents when I was a kid.:eek: