Bow mount trolling motor top speed

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by Mark100, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Mark100

Mark100

Hello,

I moved my 24v Motorguide XI5 from my old smaller boat to my newer 19.5' aluminum dual counsel with walk through windshield. I know a lot depends on current, wind, and battery charge, but what is the average top speed I should be getting? I was trolling yesterday and I could maintain about 1.9mph at max power. Wind was minimal.

Thanks,
    Mark

2. piketroller

piketroller

With good batteries you should be able to hit 3+ mph until you start draining them. I’ve got a 36V Xi5 motor on a 20 footer and it will hit 4 mph. The 24V Xi5 on my 16 footer would do about the same.

Sounds like either your batteries are weak or you have some corroded connections somewhere.

3. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

What were you pulling behind the boat? Tx-44s and mag dishes or some smaller lures? My 24V Terrova would get my 19 foot to about 3 with nothing dragging behind

4. Mark100

Mark100

I was pulling 6 OR12s and harnesses. The batteries are 1 season old Interstates that had a full charge before fishing that day. I may need to do a trial first thing with nothing out and no wind or current.