Book recommendation

Discussion in 'General Michigan Hunting' started by Yote Buster, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Yote Buster

Yote Buster

I’m looking for hunting and/or fishing book recommendations. I particularly like deer and turkey hunting. Any recommendations of books or authors would be greatly appreciated.

2. mjh4

mjh4

Michigan fishing by Jim Bedford is very informative.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

3. Mississippi

Mississippi

American Buffalo
    10th Legion

4. Firefighter

Firefighter

The Old Man and the Boy.

Tenth Legion.

Anything by Hemingway.

5. backstrap bill

backstrap bill

DirtySteve, jr28schalm and thill like this.
  6. cliftp

cliftp Premium Member

Hi Yote Buster, some say he is controversial, but Richard P. Smith writes some really good books. I especially like his "Great Michigan Deer Tales" stories. http://richardpsmith.com/store.php Another one, "In the Land of the Bear", written by another Michigan author was pretty good.

Paul C.

7. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

If you can beg, borrow, buy or steal a copy of Recollections of My Fifty Years Hunting and Fishing by Wm. B. Mershon you will have a hard time putting the book down. The author grew up in Saginaw when it was a lumbering boomtown but later in life he hunted all around the state. It was published in 1923 and touches on everything from grayling, passenger pigeons, market hunting of waterfowl, to deer hunting, and everything in between. It also has a lot of stories of what it was like to hunt out of state in the late 1800's and early 1900's. FM

8. MallardMaster

MallardMaster

You have my attention!! Can I borrow your copy? ;)

9. Blaine man

Blaine man

Forest Meister likes this.
  10. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

I do not really own the book, I wish I did. Back in the day my boss brought in an original copy that was handed down to his wife, the great-niece of the author. My boss brought the book to work and I would read it whenever I had a break, sometimes staying late just to read it. Unbeknownst to me he made an entire copy and presented it to me. Somewhere in my boxes of papers I am sure the copied pages exists and someday they will be found! FM

11. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

12. thill

thill

Mapping Trophy Bucks by Brad Herndon.

jr28schalm likes this.
  13. Blaine man

Blaine man

Forest , it is all the book.

Forest Meister likes this.
  14. Blaine man

Blaine man

I wish I had the title of the one book that was written after the war of 1812. It was a eastern hunter that came up Black River at Port Huron to hunt. He was after Elk and Buffalo. He got lost and was presumed dead but survived. The Michigan Historical Society in the 1880's wrote the pioneers stories before they died. A lot of volumes with thick pages, very interesting reading but they jump around a lot.
    Such as;
    -The British never went west of Detroit because of a wide swamp. The American explorers found the rich Oakland County.
    - Charity Island in Saginaw Bay was known as scull island because the ground was covered with sculls from a tribe that was wiped out when ice formed overnight and allowed another tribe to attack. Scared the Indians so bad Saginaw bay was not settled till the white man came due to ghosts.
    You can read these online if your local library does not have them.

15. imjon

imjon