Bolles Harbor Perch 8-13

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by FrankT75, Aug 13, 2020.

1. FrankT75

FrankT75

Started in the E buoy area. It was slow at first, had a stretch where they hit as fast as you could get the bait down, then it slowed down again. Aroiund noon the bite slowed way down so I headed out near the state line. Only got one perch in a half hour there and I headed back to the E buoy area. Slow bite there until I ran out of minnows. Finished with 29 perch in the cooler.

2. butter13

butter13

That is a good day! Bouncing for the gold takes a lot of patience and I am still trying to find it!

NEW HUDSON WALT likes this.

3. DoubleJay

DoubleJay

Frank, we’ve been wondering where you’ve been buddy. Good job on the perch and great to hear from you.

Skinner 2 likes this.
  4. Skinner 2

Skinner 2

5. terrylee86

terrylee86

Frank, this perch bites has been crazy to say the least. We started at the south side of 1&2 and picked away until about noon and had 22. Drove over to e-buoy area and it was game on until we ran out of bait. We ended up with 79 and the boat right by us had no where near that because we met him at Anglers’s to get the fish cleaned. Our problem was white perch, they stole half of our bait. The seagulls loved our misfortune though. I can’t believe what size fish they can swallow whole, made my gut hurt. We tossed them fish the size of a jumbo bluegill and down the hatch it went. This one seagull ate so many we weren’t sure if he was going to be able to fly. It was slow at e-buoy until we both switched to drop shot rigs, they would not hit our crappie rigs. Who knows?

6. Carpenter Bill

Carpenter Bill

In my opinion a drop shot rig Will almost always out fish a reg'lar Perch rig. Not sure why, I just let the fish decide. Nothing like the old Brown eye drop shot .

7. onebad800

onebad800

What’s a drop shot rig look like?

8. plumbdaworld

plumbdaworld

9. onebad800

onebad800

Oh ok that’s basically what I been using didn’t know the technical term

Carpenter Bill likes this.
  10. Fish Tracker1

Fish Tracker1

I've heard that lots of people clip a snelled hook at the sinker as well. I've tried that and it really works...in fact that hook on the bottom sometimes catches the most.

11. Lake Boy

Lake Boy

It sure does work.I fish 2 poles.Dead stick in rod holder with 2 hooks.One hook just above sinker,other hanging off of snap/sinker.Both snelled hooks.Other rod I hold.One snelled hook on with sinker.Thats the one I catch most fish with.Can feel any bump,or more times I lift slowly and you feel the weight.I tried with three hooks,seems thats all you are doing.Baiting and missing bites on other pole because thats all you are doing.One hook,one fish.Not as flashy as getting 3 at a time.Also,anyone else have this happen.Holdind one pole and go to switch rods and as soon as you put that one down and pick up other rod,you miss a bite on the one you were holding.If I would have hung on to that one for 10 more seconds.Would of got him.Well,sorry for the ramble.

DoubleJay and the roofer like this.
  12. Gone hunting

Gone hunting

Lot of folks have mentioned putting hook on the sinker. How do you put hook on the sinker? Do you attach a lead line, if so how long should it be.

13. kisherfisher

kisherfisher

Hook your loop from your snell into snap holding the sinker. The perch like the minnow on the bottom , slowly raise to feel the bite.

14. the roofer

the roofer

I never seen 1 actually hooked to the sinker either.. i usually clip mine on with a sinker and use the basic bluegill hook I like the long shaft hooks better ..if I didn’t have a bottom hook I wouldn’t even fish..

DoubleJay likes this.
  15. Jimbo 09

Jimbo 09

The last two trips out they did not like the all the hardware of perch rigs. Most of our fish, and the bigger ones came on just a 1/2oz sinker and a plain snelled hook.