Bobcat

Discussion in 'Michigan Trapping and Varmint Hunting' started by shaffe48b, Nov 29, 2020.

1. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

Might try some bobcat trapping for our 10 day season on national forest land. Going to get 5 #2 coil springs to go along with my #1.5 and make six sets.

Looking up I see perhaps find small openings next to swamps? Does that sound about right. Also use both visual and scent lures.

Do you make one or two sets per location?

2. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

They like to follow streams.

shaffe48b likes this.

3. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

I bought 5 #2 box jawed 4 spring traps for $10 each. I got some bobcat and coyote lure because I'll set them for coyote and fox after bobcat season. I got some lambs wool sight indicators. I might get some chicken from the grocery too.

I think I'll make two sets some distance apart in 3 areas. Two areas are next to different stagnant creeks and very thick cover. The third is next to a beaver pond.

Fool'em likes this.
  4. bill Head

bill Head

I trapped a lot of bobcat in Texas. Believe it or not my best bait was a spray can of catnip from the pet store. I made my sets on the high bank along a stream. Find a spot that narrows down and make your set there. Always double stake the trap as a bobcat will jump straight up and pump a regular stake out of the ground. Try to spray the catnip on a bush or a tree so they have to walk around to get to it. Caught a bunch of cats doing this.

shaffe48b and Superhik like this.
  5. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

Well I got all the cubbies set up. I'm putting two each in two spots one one each in two others. All next to water, choke points, and good cover.

It's going to be a cold 30 mile 4 wheeler ride for 10 days. But...ill have the woods to myself those evenings. Going to have to move the traps much closer if I reset them for coyotes.

Nostromo, Fool'em, C20chris and 2 others like this.
  6. C20chris

C20chris

I am going to be giving this a shot for the first time ever. Never trapped or attempted to trap anything beyond a mouse. I know there are a lot of bobcats in a certain area so I am looking forward to trying this out. If nothing else it will be a good excuse to go for a walk in the woods for 10 days straight.

I have 6 traps. How far apart do you recommend setting your traps?

shaffe48b likes this.
  7. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

Too late to get a license for this season.

Trapping is crap shoot. If you feel good about a location, 2 traps are better than one. If you want to cover more possible locations, one trap at each.

I believe we had 20-30 each set when we went after them, 3-4 sets at each location. Some of the traps were intended for coyote but you never know what you'll end up with. Didn't plan on porcupines but we did get a couple of them. We ended up catching 5 cats, kept our one and released the rest.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  8. C20chris

C20chris

Have a tag. I have tried calling them in the last couple years, with no success... Thought I would give the trapping season a try. Have a friend that deer hunts the area and he has seen them multiple times deer hunting. There are tracks everywhere in the winter just never saw anything while trying to call them in. Cedar swamp type area

9. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

Biggest hurdle is finding the right set area/path and making sure your traps don't freeze to the ground. Waxed dirt is the best, peat moss will work or you could just use grass clippings.
    We used loud skunky lures.
    Good luck

IMG_20181210_095345533_HDR.jpg

10. C20chris

C20chris

Looking for critiques or improvement ideas. Again, first time trying to trap anything so I apologize for the beginner questions but also greatly appreciate feedback... Do cubby style sets like this seem reasonable? Using bobcat urine, catnip, and misc predator baits in the cubby. Pics are of different sets but all basically set up the same. Using Christmas ribbon in a tree 5-10 foot in front of cubby and 3'ish off the ground. As well as a little in the back of the cubby. Sticking to edges of water swamp river ect.

I have some frozen woodcock and grouse wings. Is it a good idea to use something like that as well?

20201210_143904_resized.jpg 20201210_151927_resized.jpg 20201210_170208_resized.jpg

shaffe48b likes this.
  11. bill Head

bill Head

I would turn my trap 90 degrees. If he steps a bit back the dog will flip his foot out of the trap. Also put a stick in front of and behind the trap to guide his foot to the trap.

Goinpostal83, C20chris and shaffe48b like this.
  12. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

Id just be careful with the wc wing since they arent in season. Stupid rule I guess just don't get caught.

I wish I had saved grouse feathers instead of using craft store feathers.

C20chris likes this.
  13. Bmk

Bmk

FREEPOP what a beauty! I am still looking for my first. Have 6 sets out, mostly small cubbies, some just a dirt hole set up against a stump for backer with a little bit of guiding brush. Most close to cedar swamp, along its edge. 1 Raccoon, and 1 possum was it for the day. They should move before the storm.

MichiFishy, shaffe48b and FREEPOP like this.
  14. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

I saved turkey feathers and used craft feather also. Those sets didn't produce but I attribute that more to location.
    I don't believe you need to box them in too much. Most all our sets looked like coyote dirtholes with extra stuff around to persuade the cat a little more to come to the trap side of the hole. Cat's aren't skittish like coyotes, I've heard of guys not even putting dirt over their traps. Cubbies will work but if it pulls you off from location, I wouldn't bother with them.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  15. C20chris

C20chris

Appreciate that... My plan a couple months ago was to find tracks in the snow and stage sets that way. Of course this is the year there is no snow which you can usually count on here (just south of the bridge). Looks like even the snow for this weekend is mostly going to miss us. So I went to general edges/areas where I have seen tracks in previous years and built some cubbies... Was curious to know if I was in the right ball park or doing something that was a "rookie" mistake.

shaffe48b likes this.