Boat shopping question

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by FishMichv2, May 14, 2020.

1. FR8DAWG

FR8DAWG

I had a 18’ Starweld by Starcraft. At the time I thought it was a great boat. I’ve since upgraded to a Lund. Wow. Remarkably better ride and almost everything else about it. I’m sure there are many great boat brands, but I love my Lund and it’s worth what I overpaid, IMO. I had a Yamaha engine and loved it as well on my Starweld. However, my Lund has a Mercury. I wasn’t enthused when I bought it but it wasn’t a choice. I’ve been pleasantly shocked by how quiet and smooth it is. I’m now sold on the Merc. I am sure Evinrude makes a great engine too. Point is, all the motors seem to be great, and as far as the boats go, I would highly recommend getting in one on the water before purchase. I wish I had the first time around. Go step in them and really look at the functionality of the floorplan.

2. skipper34

skipper34

Yeah I did exactly that and bought a StarCraft. With an Evinrude.

3. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

Just a layman question. I have only owned 2 strokes cuz 4 strokes were not invented yet. My sons 4 stroke runs so smooth, idles forever without fouling and doesn't require oil. Why do people buy 2 stroke engines? Cost, loyalty, weight? I know Evinrude really improved the new 2 stroke but you still need oil.

4. skipper34

skipper34

Evinrude has been my go-to outboard since I have owned boats. I am very loyal to a company whose products have treated me well for over 50 years.

Gordon Casey likes this.
  5. waxico

waxico

I have a big Smokercraft Freedom with a 90n ETEC. It's an open skiff utility layout. It rides great, and is a safe boat. Starcraft offers the same boat, with their branding.
    I also have Alumacrat and Mirrocraft 16'ers. They are well built and don't leak. Waiting for a used Crestliner to replace the Mirro. I've had a few Crestliners. They ride excellently.
    You mentioned Lunds, they are great boats too.
    I've had Trackers. You get what you pay for. Avoid Blue Fins. They are leakers. 80's era Starcrafts too, at least the Islanders and bigger boats.
    The other brands, such as Sea Nymph, Lowes, Northwoods, etc are servicable, and would work great, depending on frills you are looking for.

6. waxico

waxico

The biggest advantages for 2 stroke verses 4: 2 strokes are substantially lighter, and their powerbands help for quicker holeshots and spinning up to serviceable RPMs.

Gordon Casey likes this.
  7. shametamer

shametamer

I have had them all from scottatwater,elgin, sea king.to merc,yammie, suzuki,johnson chrysler, etec....................................only engines i ever had trouble with..the chrysler and the mercs.. oil versus the 4 stroke maintenance ..the oil is probably cheaper...merc to me is like microsoft..they dominate the market.....but also are closer to entry level..than yammie,etec or honda..i run a merc now..no issues but then again it runs me to grounds then the minnkota takes over... as far as alume boats..i tried most ,alumacraft and g3..are slow hulls..never had a leak issue with a welded alume,I have with riveted. Starcraft,polarkraft, and to some extent lunds were dry rides..never found anything to not like about princecraft..it is riveted...would i go back to aluminum? unlikely..especially with alume prices equal to or higher than comparable glass boats these days..50K gets u a maxed out, fully equipped lund 1875 crossover or 1875 pro V..the same gets you and 18 1/2 foot ranger,skeeter, yarcraft, triton just as well equipped
    I did recently just sell a 2017 crestliner vision.i bought it for log invested waters and shallow lake situations..found i used it sparingly..and that the glass hulls are pretty tough..with lake st clair, lake erie, saginaw bay.detour passage, brimley, bays de noc,grand traverse, huron and keewenaw bays..plus larger lakes like charlevoix,n/s lake leelanau,long,grand,hubbard,burt,mullet,gogebic, big mani and houghton just makes sense to have a boat that is capable there..and to kayak the ponds..................life and fishing have changed alot from the 12 foot car topper and the 5 horse in the trunk! Lord willin that i remain able and this virus doesnt forever change life here..i imagine i will be in the market for a warrior or big skeeter soon!

jimbobway and Shlack like this.
  8. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

Man, that a lot of words for 1 sentence!!

Outdoor2daCore likes this.
  9. Walley Gordo

Walley Gordo

My last 2 boats were Lunds true the resale is great! Now for the rest of the story. The one I just sold was a 2014 Tyee noticed a lot of the hardware and flooring they use now is junk compared to my first 2006 1700 Explorer that was a well made boat. If am waiting on my new Alumacraft 175 Competitor tiller will never go back to Lund. That's my opinion take it for what is worth.

10. FishMichv2

FishMichv2 Premium Member

Well I brought my Starcraft Renegade 168 home today. Gonna get her on the water first thing tomorrow. Pretty damn stoked. Thanks for all the input fellas. IMG_20200519_180719.jpg IMG_20200519_180731.jpg

3BMF’s, PerchPatrol, CDN1 and 6 others like this.
  11. Walley Gordo

Walley Gordo

Enjoy your new ride!

FishMichv2 likes this.
  12. 7mmsendero

7mmsendero

Interested in fiberglass at all? I went with a 20’ used fiberglass boat 12 years ago, I wouldn’t want to go back to aluminum. I went down to Lake Erie to shop, there’s a ton of boats down there.

20’ Pursuit walk around with 185 hp Evinrude. Pretty easy to trailer. Very nice riding boat. 1/2 the price of new aluminum.

13. skipper34

skipper34

I looked at that same boat before I bought my Stealth 166. I like the 7 ft. beam on the 16 footer and the length allows me to store it in the garage. I also was sold on the integrated gunwale track system on the 166. But you are going to love the Renegade guaranteed. Especially with the Evinrude. Did yours come with a fishfinder? Congrats!!

14. FishManDan

FishManDan

Wow that is a great looking boat. Should fly with that etec.

Time to get her wet. Good luck and tight lines.

FishMichv2 likes this.
  15. Shlack

Shlack

Congrats! Awesome looking boat. I am sure you will love it.

FishMichv2 likes this.