Boat shopping question

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by FishMichv2, May 14, 2020.

1. FishMichv2

FishMichv2 Premium Member

So I'm on the market for a new or maybe used boat. I've been a bassboat guy my whole life and know those brands well but now I'm on the market for a deeper hull vessel somewhere in the 16ftish range. Are Lund's really worth the large price difference over some of the other brands? Any makes to stay away from? I'll be on a variety of waters. Mostly inland lakes of various sizes and maybe West Traverse Bay on calmer days. Not planning on any downriggers. Plan to do some trolling, drifting, casting. Also some family pleasure boating type stuff.

Any insight is appreciated. Anybody want to sell me a used boat? Anybody got a dealer they've liked doing business with in NW Mich? Is Lund worth the big bucks? Is Tracker stuff to be avoided? Smokercraft decent? Do I need a kicker if I'm going to spend a lot of time trolling? Thanks for any input.

2. skipper34

skipper34

I just sprung for a new StarCraft Stealth 166 SC. Deep V one-piece bottom hull, not welded. 16 ft. long X 7 ft. 1 in. wide beam. Side console, 25 gallon live well, lockable rod storage, it came with a 60 hp ETEC and Minn Kota power drive 55 bow mount. Vinyl flooring and casting decks. Humminbird PiranhaMax 4. 3 deluxe seats. Damned nice boat for about $20,000. Bay Outboard Marine in Saginaw. Ask for Kent. I set mine up with a Happy Troller for the outboard.
    Works well if you are careful. Much cheaper than a kicker.

Topshelf and FishMichv2 like this.

3. piketroller

piketroller

Stay away from Tracker, but you can be happy with most other brands. If you care about resale value, you’ll get that extra money you spend on a Lund back. In fact for some boats the the 18 and 20 foot Alaskans it’s not uncommon to sell them a couple years down the road for what you paid or even more for guys wanting a boat now instead of waiting a few months on the dealer to get one because they didn’t order early enough in the year.

Find a boat with the layout and features you want. They are all a little bit different.

FishMichv2 likes this.
  4. Gillgitter

Gillgitter

I looked and looked and looked for a couple years and finally bought a Lund Fury 1625XL SS from Bee's Sports in St. Johns. I think that a lot of brands were really good but my decision came down to resale and the fact I felt comfortable with who I was dealing with. Tyler at Bee's listened to me about what I wanted and what kind of fishing I did and I never felt he had any agenda other than making sure I was happy. I never felt like he was pushing extra's at me that I didn't want or need. Huge shout out Bee's for working with me during the pandemic.

Now, if the weather up here would just give us a bleepin break.....

3BMF’s, Walley Gordo and FishMichv2 like this.
  5. FishMichv2

FishMichv2 Premium Member

Thanks for the info. All very useful.

6. wallhanger81

wallhanger81

Lund crossover 1675. Great for fishing and pleasure. Fold down seats in back. Cushions in front to relax or put kids when setting lines. As others said resale and full lifetime warranty on hull and deck. Alot of other boats were flashy with a bunch of plastic garbage. I wanted something that would last. Payed more than I planned on spending but no regrets. CAM00379.jpg

3BMF’s, sledman and FishMichv2 like this.
  7. piketroller

piketroller

Lifetime hull warranty on the seams, not individual rivets.

8. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

I own a Lund, but would prefer an Alumacraft or G3, both are better built. Lund has too many issues (especially transoms) and they really only want to sell them with Mercurys. I prefer Yamaha and if I were ordering new I would insist on it.

9. piketroller

piketroller

For warranties on riveted boats, Alumacraft has the best one. It’s a 20 year hull warranty that includes rivets. 20 years ain’t lifetime, but it has a lot better coverage during those 20 years.

Also, if you look at lightly used boats, the “lifetime” warranties on most turn into a pro-rated defined term warranty for the second owner. But engine warranties are usually fully transferable.

10. wallhanger81

wallhanger81

Also a kicker would be nice for security for the great lakes if big motor fails. I think about buying one but the kids climb up the ladder side and jump off the other side where the kicker would be. So I know they would be disappointed. I have the 80lbs terrova with I pilot for trolling. In calm wind it doesn't get below half battery life in 6 hours of trolling. I bought mine with no electronics or trolling motor. So add another 4k for that depending on how you equipped it. Good luck and tight lines!

Dalton P and FishMichv2 like this.
  11. Gillgitter

Gillgitter

I was really interested in a G3 and might have bought one. When I was finally ready to pull the trigger this year I went to the boat show before it closed due to the Rona. Both dealers selling G3's there came across pretty poorly. One acted like he didn't want to be bothered and wanted full M.S.R.P. and the other kept trying to upsell me to a bigger boat/motor with options I didn't want. He told me if I bought the boat I wanted he would make me sign a waiver because he knew I wouldn't be happy. WTF??? In the end I just thought the Lund was pretty good quality and from the research I did I thought the resale value held up. Supposedly the transom issues have been resolved.

Topshelf and ESOX like this.
  12. Jiw275

Jiw275

Get out in it yet?

13. plugger

plugger Premium Member

Had a Lund pro v for 20 years, now am happy with an Alumacraft with Yamaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

Walley Gordo, bapotter and ESOX like this.
  14. steve99

steve99

I was boat shopping anything from 16-20’ range 2 years ago. From what I recollect, Lunds in the 16’ range wasn’t much different in price relative to other boats. Since 2018, Lunds and Alumacraft have been putting in composite or aluminum transoms so the transom shouldn’t be an issue on newer models. Trackers were about the same price but the resale value on them is not the best, smokercraft and Starcraft has some nice layouts for that size boat. That crossover posted up above had the best multi use layout of any of the boats. Ended up settling on an 18’ tyee but 19’ would’ve been perfect, just wouldn’t fit in the garage.

FishMichv2 likes this.
  15. skipper34

skipper34

I wasn't too concerned about resale when I bought my StarCraft. At my age the boat is going to outlast me by years. I will pass it down to my son when my fishing days are over.

Gone Coastal and Big Skip like this.