Boat Scare Today

Discussion in 'Boating and Boat Rigging' started by Frank, May 14, 2018 at 8:09 PM.

1. Frank

Frank

I was dead in the water three miles south of the Lexington harbor today after my new kicker motor stopped running followed a short time later by my new big motor. It became a challenge to get the kicker to start again and run long enough to get us back safely to the harbor.

We trailered back to the selling dealer and found out the main gas "T" fitting had one side a bit loose and it was sucking in a lot of air instead of gas. They fixed the problem pretty fast once they heard the sequence of events that we had out on the water.

If you get a new boat and have a shared gas line, make sure your "T" fitting is snugged up really tight on both sides or you might have a scary experience like we had! Safe boating to all.

Frank

2. jimbobway

jimbobway

Glad it ended well .How fast did that kicker push your boat ?

3. Frank

Frank

5 mph

4. jampg

jampg

Are you kidding me! a loose gas fitting? That could have been a disaster. Someone needs a talkin to.

Frank likes this.
  5. Frank

Frank

I agree with you that someone needs a talkin to about this. Going back to dealer today for one more inspection because I'm still not 100% sure things are right.

6. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

We have had one dealer deliver new pontoons on our lake that would not run when they put it in the water. We cringe when we are scheduled to put an assn. sticker on a new boat coming from this dealer.

7. piketroller

piketroller

This is why it’s best to have dual pickups in the tank from the factory if available. I hope the dealer installed T is upstream of a pair of primer bulbs, one for each engine. If you only have one for the engines to share, that could have likely caused the leak.

Frank likes this.
  8. Frank

Frank

Hi Piketroller,

I appreciate your comment and have included a few pictures of what my gas fitting setup looks like. I think it is the way you said it should be.

When I went back to the dealer they noticed the teflon tape on one side of the fitting was discolored. They said it was loose and put one more full turn on it. They said it was probably sucking in a lot of air to cause both motors to eventually quit running. They said everything should now work fine. Please let me know what you think. Thank you.
    Gas Fitting 2.jpg Gas Fitting 3.jpg

Frank

9. piketroller

piketroller

Yeah, that’s as good as you can do with just one fuel pickup on the tank.

10. Frank

Frank

Thanks for letting me know that it is OK in my situation. Could running both motors at the same time ever cause a problem with one motor not getting enough gas?

11. piketroller

piketroller

Highly unlikely. If you ar ever running your main motor wide open and then want to run your kicker, the problem is between your ears, not the pressure drop of the fuel hose.

12. Frank

Frank

Of course, I would never do that. I meant if both were just idling and being warmed-up together. I hope to get back out salmon fishing within a week and now I have a little more confidence in the repair that was done.

13. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

That T should really have a selector valve. When running the main motor you could pull all the fuel out of the kicker line and suck air

14. piketroller

piketroller

The primer bulbs act as check valves to prevent that.

hawgeye likes this.