Boat repair

Discussion in 'Boating and Boat Rigging' started by Normhead, May 7, 2018.

1. Normhead

Normhead

My boat is not starting up , when I put the turn the key and shift the gear , there is no cranking sound . The starting battery is fine since the dash is lighting up. Also the emergency switch is also in the run position . Big potential problem on gearshift.Anyone have any suggestions or can help with this ? Please pm me?
    16ft tracker deepV proguide165 2010 , 50hp Mercury 2 stroke
    Located in Troy, mi

2. WallyWorld

WallyWorld

Check your battery connections. A loose or corroded connection will still light up the dash, but won't crank the engine. There could also be corrosion inside the wiring. Maybe cut off an inch or 2 to check. Check the fuses as well. Does it make any sounds at all? Does the starter spin? If it spins but doesn't engage you may need a new starter.

3. 6667supersport

6667supersport

Check to see if you have power to the starter. Or if you had a jump box you could just send power directly to the starter and see if it cranks at that point.

4. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

Man overboard safety cord switch. Check that next.

5. CrawlerHarness

CrawlerHarness

Check the main fuse under the cover of the merc

phantom cls likes this.
  6. JAA

JAA

My guess Battery, Have it Load Tested @ your local auto parts store! It's Free. #2 Krusty the Clown;) Attacked your wiring and it needs to be Dealt with.

7. ebijack

ebijack Premium Member

If you put it in gear (forward or reverse) it will not crank/turn over. Must be in neutral.
    Next check your junction block under the engine hood where the battery wires are connected to the engine power leads.
    They do/can become loose over time.

Last edited: May 9, 2018