Boat prep and refitting 2020

Discussion in 'Boating and Boat Rigging' started by kroppe, Feb 23, 2020.

1. kroppe

kroppe

Got back from a trip to Frankfort, blew a trailer tire and bent a wheel on the way up on US-131. That old familiar distant rumbling sound started, and I took my foot off the gas and got ready for the inevitable. Then bang she went and the hazards went on. 15 minutes later I was back on the road with the spare changed and a shredded tire and bent wheel in reserve.

Got a replacement tire and steel wheel, a Carlisle bias ply unfortunately. That was the only thing I could get in the time frame I needed it for the trip home. The guys at Tire Wholesalers Plus in Fremont are good. I have bought tires from them in the past and am satisfied with their service.

I pushed my luck with the tires, as they were 6 years old with thousands of miles on them. I knew I was living on borrowed time. The piper demanded, and received, payment. 4 years is my general guideline for trailer tires, regardless of mileage. Trailer tires are susceptible to aging in my experience and are generally far lower quality than car/truck tires.

I will probably get two more Goodyear Marathon radials, these are my favorite trailer tires over the years. I will keep the two remaining original 23 year old steel wheels and use the white replacement wheel with Carlisle bias ply as the spare.

John Hine and ESOX like this.
  2. OneidaEagle

OneidaEagle

Kroppe,

My internet research led me to Goodyear, and their new "Endurance" model of tire. Was released to market Jan 30th 2017, and speed rated for 87Mph & USA made.

I had them on my old boat trailer and they were awesome.

I’ll get a new set when my current tires that came with the trailer wear out.

OE

kroppe likes this.

3. kroppe

kroppe

Thanks OE, I will check out the Endurance model and compare it to the Marathon, if they still offer the Marathon.

4. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

The Endurance has gotten rave reviews from the guys I know who have them. The OEM Marathons on my Ranger are due for replacement. Not too worn, too old (Like 12 yrs old :O). I will probably go with Marathons again though, these have well over 50K miles on them. Besides I never go that fast towing this rig. 75 tops.

My little Lund on the other hand..... I think I am going to put P tires on it. Trailer tires ride too hard for that light little boat. I hate seeing it bounce up and down the road. I think the SSV wet and loaded is still under 1,200#, including the trailer.

kroppe likes this.
  5. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

When I got my little Lund, the trailer tongue was way too long. A 14' boat on a trailer that could have easily held an 18' Jon. Absolutely killed any towing efficiency because the full frontal area of the boat was like a separate vehicle. The chains were held on with one of the hitch head bolts. (That is an absolute NO-NO). I cut the tongue back 38" and installed the chains on a bolt behind the hitch head. They were then a touch too short. So I put a couple anchor shackles I had laying around into the chain holes on my frame hitch. That was a few years back. Still haven't gotten around to lengthening the chains......
    This thread keep reminding me of what a procrastinator I am.

kroppe likes this.
  6. kroppe

kroppe

Thanks Paul. The P tire idea has me thinking. I am a believer that trailer tires are far lower quality than car/truck tires, as evidenced by trailer tires failures that visually look fine, with nearly new tread depth remaining. Add to that, I have never experienced a non-debris-related blowout in a car or truck after driving a million miles (literally) in my lifetime.

I have experienced 6 non-debris-related blowouts on trailer tires over the years, in far fewer than 1 million miles.

ESOX likes this.