close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Boat blind or not when hiding the boat?

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by Lamarsh, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Thanks man. My boat is a 16' composite river skiff, not much wider than a canoe. It's a strange boat. I don't think there I'd knock rows down hiding it.

2. just ducky

just ducky

If it's over 3' wide you will. My canoe even bends some of the stalks aside, but doesn't take them out

squawk7500 likes this.

3. squawk7500

squawk7500

They sure cared last Saturday. I had my canoe about 50 yards away... didn't realize it was the issue until it was too late.

Divers Down likes this.
  4. birdhntr

birdhntr

I shoot the smart ones so they don't educate the dumb ones.We leave the boat at the end by the ditch then cover.

5. Lurker

Lurker

my guess it wasn't your canoe that was the issue.
    animals don't fear inanimate objects.
    ducks swim around boats in marinas all the time.
    they aren't afraid of boats.
    but that's just my opinion.
    based on experience.

6. eye-sore

eye-sore

A boat in a marina is much different than one in a flooded corn field or marsh that gets gunned up daily. Dont cheat yourself.get that boat away from you on the upwind side if possible.

7. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

So in that case we should all stand at the waters edge tossing hands full of pea gravel into the water to imitate a "feeding motion". I mean it works flawlessly for kids at the cider mill, mallards love it.

8. goose schatt

goose schatt

I agree, don't pull a boat into corn.
    leave it at the start or end of a corn strip or use the cut made for boats in the middle...I'm still baffled by how big of boats people bring to draw, so unecessary , unless your trying to break ice

9. Lurker

Lurker

sarcasm..... I like it.
    guess you never had/have ducks land on you when you are setting up, or picking up, or rearranging the decoys.
    mine must be a magic boat with mystical hide capabilities.
    how come ducks are allegedly afraid of the shine off a motor but not the glare thrown by ripples on the water?
    how come when I hunt with Indian guides whose decoys have more shiny plastic showing than paint I still shoot as many ducks as I do over those perfect decoys.
    ducks are birds and birds are stupid.
    keep hiding your boats and beating down the corn.

10. Duck-Hunter

Ive had them land when setting and picking up. Yesterday morning I shot two ducks while I was retrieving a bird, the location was tight, heavy vegetation, first light.

When it comes to hunting public marshes I feel concealment should be your top priority, especially on pressured birds. Which in a public marsh when birds have been around for a little bit they wise up and wise up fast. I wouldn't say birds are stupid, when they are less pressured or fresh to the area they are carefree or not keen on picking us out. Taking that extra step of covering my boat or motor takes less than a minute. Helps relax my mind and I don't have that chance of them picking it out.

For the Indian guide experience... They probably don't care because there was corn placed in the location prior to your hunt or the area is not pressured.

I wouldn't take a boat into a flooded field. I don't want to knock down cover or run the chance of birds seeing my boat.

11. Lurker

Lurker

Indian guided hunt wasn't a baited area. Public land. Manitoba.
    Four weeks in to the season.

And if it makes you feel better, thumbs up.

But from my experience it hasn't mattered. Corn, marsh, Harsens, Fish Point or out on Anchor Bay.

And I wasn't talking first light thick vegetation. I've shot ducks standing out in the open rearranging the decoys mid morning, late afternoon. many many times.

And how come they shoot ducks from here all the way down to Louisiana?

One would think they would all be so educated by time they left here that any hunter south of here wouldn't stand a chance.

12. Shiawassee_Kid

Shiawassee_Kid

shiawassee ducks will pick your boat out and flare more often than flaring from distant shots. don't park your boat anywhere but upwind at the cuts/end of field if you want to kill birds. if you got a canoe, you can tuck it in the row behind you about 10 rows usually. I will walk to the backside of the corn and cut random stalks to cover the canoe with. hides nicely.

13. goosehunter31

goosehunter31

Push it down to the end of the strip if you pull your boat behind you in the corn you will knock it all down

14. flighthunter

flighthunter

willing to bet you've never shot a mallard while in the decoys. buffies, that's another thing.

15. Duck-Hunter

I have shot a lot of birds of all species while in the decoys. Shoot a lot of geese while out of the blind same with mallards.

It happens, I think they key in on certain spots of your spread and as long as you aren't moving and stay low your odds are better. Happens often early in the season.

Now would I bet the farm on shooting birds in the wide open? Heck no! It's not something that happens all the time. Just like humans there's a percentage that "all the lights are on and nobody is home"

I'd recommend someone to cover or stash their boat away from their hide. Just because they swim around boats in a marina doesn't mean they are boat friendly, especially in a marsh. Marinas are also a safe area. That's why they pile in there.