close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Boat blind or not when hiding the boat?

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by Lamarsh, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

I usually hide my boat a few hundred yards away and hunt from marsh stands with my dog in a blind. I have nice boat blind, it's pretty cumbersome to drive with though, and of course would be easier to drive my boat around and trailer it without the blind. What are your guys' thoughts on using a boat blind when you're going to hide the boat a few hundred yards from where you're hunting? I obviously know it can't hurt to have the blind, but I'm wondering if I could just leave the darn boat blind at home?

Thoughts?

2. Sofa King what?

Sofa King what?

That far away...i wouldn't worry about it...i'll hide mine sometimes 50-75 yrds away and half-assish put up the blind and/or just pack a bunch of loose grass mats and throw 'em over the boat....alot depends on how big and how shiny your boat is.

Lamarsh likes this.

3. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

When I stash the boat I just throw camo burlap over it.

Lamarsh likes this.
  4. Tavor

Tavor

I think it would be better to keep the boat's profile as low as possible when hiding it. Just throw some camo netting, burlap, or grass over it and hide it as best you can.

Lamarsh likes this.
  5. Lurker

Lurker

ducks don't care about boats.

Lamarsh likes this.
  6. Divers Down

Divers Down

Guess mine haven’t got that memo yet this season.

Lamarsh likes this.
  7. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Thanks gents. Only been to managed areas a few times.

If I do bring my boat blind do you think I can stash it in the corn directly behind me, so I have easier access to my gear and crap, or do you think i should stash it farther away, away from where my dog and I are sitting on our stands?

8. fsamie1

fsamie1 Premium Member

I use a small sled for my hunting bag and other things I need next to me in managed area and other places that I have to stand in water. For boat blind, I only use mine for places that you cannot go to shore and hunt. always hide the boat away from me and do not worry about covering it up.

Lamarsh likes this.
  9. jwinks

jwinks

You absolutely need to move it as far away as possible. Obviously, some ducks are dumb and you'll kill a few, but managed area birds are as picky as they come. They'll circle wide and get an easy look down between the rows of corn, and if there is anything amiss, they are moving on. I even hide my jet sled away from where I sit.

eye-sore and Outdoor Gal like this.
  10. ma1979

ma1979

May I ask what managed unit you plan on hunting? If it's Fish point no boat is needed and probably not enough water in the units to use it anyways.

Sent from my Alcatel 6055U using Tapatalk

Lamarsh likes this.
  11. Outdoor Gal

Outdoor Gal

Stash your boat at the upwind side of the cut. Putting it in the corn behind you just knocks down cover and makes it that much harder hide in the future.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

12. AaronJohn

AaronJohn

I only shoot the dumb ones

jwinks and Lamarsh like this.
  13. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

I bring my kayak or a small folding card table (20" x 40", not a square one) to put by us in the corn, as it's nice to have a place up out of the water for gear and occasionally my daughter.

We left our canoe perched on a cart, on the dike, in plain sight 100 yards away from us Sunday and killed limits. Mallards that did 4-5 laps before piling into the spread. Also shot plenty of birds that flew right up the corn and the kayak didn't seem to bother them a bit.

Lamarsh likes this.
  14. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Harsons

15. just ducky

just ducky

I will say "it depends" based on where you're hunting, and whether the birds are stale or not. There have been times on Saginaw Bay where we just left the boat, uncovered with no blind, 200 yds upwind and the ducks couldn't care less. Then there are times when the ducks even catch a glimpse of a boat or a shine off a motor, and they flare. So a lot of it depends on where you're hunting and what the birds are like.

As far as a managed area...ANY managed area, unless you park the boat in the cut where the corn is already knocked down, you will make ZERO friends by trying to hide it in the corn. It may work for you, but it will take out a lot of important cover in doing so. Now my canoe? Yeah, it slides right between corn rows and does zero damage to the cover.

Lamarsh likes this.