Blue Water Sportsman's Association

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by piketroller, Feb 10, 2018.

1. piketroller

piketroller

I'd like to hear your opinions on Blue Water Sportsman's Association up near Port Huron. It's surprising that there is not a dedicated sub-forum for shooting sports in general, so this looked like the best place to ask. Some topics could include how well it is a fit for a casual shooter vs. hardcore range fanatic, being a pure shooting sports organization vs. dabbling in other outdoor sports, and amount of social events outside of regular shoots. Feel free to either post in this thread or PM me if you'd rather do that.

2. Mags

Mags

Only experiences I've had with them is from the mid '70's to maybe the early '90's in shooting ATA registered trap there. They always had a very well run program, and I think I attended a couple odd other non-registered shoots there also. I do recall they had other things available besides trap, but at the time, that's all I was interested in. IMO, them and the Birmingham GC were by far the best run gun clubs in general Detroit metro area.

piketroller likes this.

3. 2 Rivers

2 Rivers

Hello, I've been shooting up there for a few years now off and on for Trap and handgun in the back ranges. The facility has so much to offer here for the novice to serious shooter. Also the choices of what is available for the individual makes it really nice. The club has really shaped up the grounds around the skeet and trap fields. I'm not a fan of the card reader at trap fields, but will live with it. They have a lot of programs, league shoots, fun shoots, etc. going on year round.

piketroller likes this.
  4. piketroller

piketroller

Thanks guys for the replies. Hopefully some others chime in as well. If not, this would be a good push to get a separate shooting sports sub forum posted somewhere to help bring this community together.

I just closed on a house in SE Michigan, and Blue Water looks to be one of the better options for ranges in the area. Back ten years ago, I used to shoot 5-10 times a year. Since then, I've owned houses where I could shoot all I want out my back door, but I hardly shot at all. Now shooting at the new house is definitely not an option, probably not even a BB gun. I would like to get back to shooting 5-10 times a year, mostly fun shoots and plinking, but probably a couple trips to punch holes in paper at distance. Sometime later this year I'm sure I'll check them out between the spring jigging bite and the sturgeon opener.

5. 2 Rivers

2 Rivers

6. 2 Rivers

2 Rivers

Hi Piketroller, BW is a club to consider that offers a variety of shooting and a little archery.
    I belong to a small Trap/Skeet Club that has it's unique personality. But BW what I like is, no work hours, you can get involved, but if you want to shoot, trap, skeet, 5-stand it's there.
    In the back rifle, cowboy, hand gun. When you shoot handgun there, bring your targets and closepins, no charge. to me that is a plus. I don't know for rifle. I think may be the same. It's close to drive there for me, they have an indoor pistol range at the trap / skeet building. A lot of nice people up there too. If you want I'll meet you there and show you the facility?
    It doesn't have a Sporting Clays course, but it still covers everything else.
    There are a lot of small Trap /or Skeet clubs in area, but that is all they offer, Pine River and St. Clair might have hangun but on a limited basis, I'm not sure. Let me know?

piketroller likes this.
  7. piketroller

piketroller

I'll take you up on that offer in a couple months.

8. Topshelf

Topshelf

I’ve shot BW and it’s a nice club. Nice trap leagues, nice ranges out back. Depending on where you live there are other options in the area. Richmond Sportsman is where I shoot. I shoot the winter trap league, summer pistol and sometimes the summer trap or skeet league. They’ve got a 100 yard range where you can shoot rifles pistols etc on open calendar days. The yearly price is reasonable. They have kids trap teams, a 22 league for kids and really encourage bringing new blood in. The only downside is it’s a old boy Trap shooter run club.

9. 2 Rivers

2 Rivers

I agree with you there on BW, they have a large variety of options available on the individual shooter's interests and it's close to get too. The majority of all the Trap/Skeet clubs around this area have their own personalities, this makes it pretty nice to give that individual(s) opportunity on where they may want to join or just go and shoot.